Is it finally time to make English the official language of America?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

English the official language?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 8, 2012
America has no official language, English is just the language most commonly spoken right now. That could change, then wouldn't we look silly having an official language that few people speak!

And thats the problem, dumbass. Do you really think 1 language will take over and the nation will slowly convert? Bullshit, it will spread damn near equally amongst many languages, making communication with people a nightmare.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
"Mexican-American, Cuban-American, Brazilian-American, etc.etc......

Mundo Fox! ......Americano como tu!"

Except, when I declare my nationality, I don't have to preface it with a European nationality. I'm simply American!

Get it?

I speak fluent Spanish as I planned to growing up in Northern Mex......errrr.......Southern California but I do it as a strategy, not so much a pleasure. Just read any of my sig to understand better why there is even a thread like this on this forum.

Your links look like a good reason to give them all citizenship, and their families. ++++++

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Mexican-American War
Spanish-American War

They lost, we won.

So what ? Those wars were just the battle, the real war is being won by demographic change and spanish-speaking people will be a majority in the US in the future. You can cling to your Texas lone star battle flag and chant "remember the alamo!" all you want, but once the demographics change enough those views will mean nothing.

Texas already looks like Mexico in more places than it doesn't today. I bet "remember the Alamo" is something you NEVER hear in those areas either [Mexican-American majority neighborhoods/towns].

As far as Spanish goes I think its a beautiful language and if it became a official language alongside English that would be great.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Let me get this straight... You want to tell Hawaii that Hawaiian can't be their official language anymore?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I agree with you both -

My girlfriend speaks about 5 languages, grew up on Portuguese. She has fully converted to English since she migrated here at the age of 6. But every day here in Texas, we run into plenty of situations where at a local chain grocery store we have hispanic people that come up to the check out without an ability to communicate with the cashier. It is starting to get ridiculous.

And I know narrow minded liberals can only see what is directly infront of them instead of branching out their thoughts. Currently they can only think of "Press 1 For English. Press 2 For Spanish" - they can't grasp the concept that if we do not do something - it will eventually lead to "Press 3 for Chinese. Press 4 for Japanese. Press 4 For Russian. Press 5 For Portuguese. Press 6 for Mandarin. Press 7 For German. Press 8 For French."

You will pickup a product and will be unable to find the English description. Etc.. Of course people are going to respond with the narrow mindedness to say "THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!111one". So I ask, did ANYONE see where we are currently at in languages coming 50 years ago? I don't think so....

I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for your input. We need to put a stop to this weak kneed approach to saving American culture and spirit. That is an English speaking, apple pie eating, red white and blue loving America. :)

Let me get this straight... You want to tell Hawaii that Hawaiian can't be their official language anymore?

Hawaiians are Americans first, just like the rest of us. I doubt they will stop speaking whatever they want just because of a law that sets our primary language in stone.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for your input. We need to put a stop to this weak kneed approach to saving American culture and spirit. That is an English speaking, apple pie eating, red white and blue loving America. :)

Hawaiians are Americans first, just like the rest of us. I doubt they will stop speaking whatever they want just because of a law that sets our primary language in stone.

You're missing the point. English and Hawaiian are official languages of Hawaii. A lot of old land titles and such are in Hawaiian. Hawaiian is just as valid, and declaring that English and only English is the official language of the USA is an infringement on states' rights.

Nov 8, 2012

And I'll also be clear here: My girlfriend plans on teaching her children (whenever that is) to speak her native Portuguese alongside English. It's the entitlement issue of people thinking we should adapt to them that gets to me - as it does her. When you migrate here, you are fully capable of learning English when you pass by it EVER_SINGLE_DAY. In fact, thats how many people do learn a 2nd language - they go on a study abroad to live around the language in order to adapt to it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
And thats the problem, dumbass. Do you really think 1 language will take over and the nation will slowly convert? Bullshit, it will spread damn near equally amongst many languages, making communication with people a nightmare.

225 years of evidence seems to contradict that.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You're missing the point. English and Hawaiian are official languages of Hawaii. A lot of old land titles and such are in Hawaiian. Hawaiian is just as valid, and declaring that English and only English is the official language of the USA is an infringement on states' rights.

You are missing the counterpoint. Many countries are made of different regions that speak different languages or dialects (like India), yet they manage to collectively decide for the benefit of ALL citizens that one language will be chosen for official communication, etc.

Choosing and official language only means that official business will be conducted in English (like it already is). If you want to translate to other languages, thats the individual state's prerogative.

:colbert:

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
You are missing the counterpoint. Many countries are made of different regions that speak different languages or dialects (like India), yet they manage to collectively decide for the benefit of ALL citizens that one language will be chosen for official communication, etc.

Choosing and official language only means that official business will be conducted in English (like it already is). If you want to translate to other languages, thats the individual state's prerogative.

You don't get it. The States have never had an official language and English has done quite well.

I have no particular love for English, it's a tool. If I get something communicated in Spanish (a language I really appreciate and I hope continues to gain ground in the USA), then that tool is useful.

What's sad is that we don't have more languages to enjoy. Languages are being extinguished at record rate around the world in favor of a 5 dominant languages. If you don't want to partake, then live in your monolingual world. It sucks there, you know it, and the rest of us are embracing the rest of what the world has to offer, because language is tied to opening a new world.

Besides, the fear you have of the outside world won't be fixed with an official language.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
So what ? Those wars were just the battle, the real war is being won by demographic change and spanish-speaking people will be a majority in the US in the future. You can cling to your Texas lone star battle flag and chant "remember the alamo!" all you want, but once the demographics change enough those views will mean nothing.

Texas already looks like Mexico in more places than it doesn't today. I bet "remember the Alamo" is something you NEVER hear in those areas either [Mexican-American majority neighborhoods/towns].

As far as Spanish goes I think its a beautiful language and if it became a official language alongside English that would be great.

+1 for this. And +1 for changing demographics and the subsequent conquest of Texas and anywhere else it pisses off retards.

We need to really kick up the Spanish language education in public schools and really indoctrinate our kids. We're doing a bad job of it right now.

Mentioning Texas- I advocate giving Texas their nationhood as they want...
so the Mexican drug cartels can stomp all over their weak military and government like the steaming pile of sh** it would be in comparison to the power of the Zetas.

Texas will just be a state for the Mexican drug cartels to occupy as a puppet state. Those hillbillies can't possibly stand up to them without assistance from the US government.

There won't be any stopping the Mexicans, there's too many native hispanic-Americans in Texas, the drug cartels are too powerful thanks to redneck drug users feeding them billions in cash, and an independent Texas would be absolutely crushed.

If Texans think they're pissed off now, it would rise to beyond hilarity watching them become b****** to the Mexicans once their weak state is conquered within 2 days time.

PLEASE sign the petition https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ca-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B

And those of us in the USA can sell weapons to both sides :D We win no matter who wins the Texas vs Tejas war :D :D :D

I'm rooting for Tejas.

Aug 14, 2001
This could be fine, but only after people also are required to take diversity classes. It's more important that we re-integrate white men into American society than help people learn English. The former is a much more significant social problem.

First set up diversity education classes and then follow it up with english classes.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It's more important that we re-integrate white men into American society than help people learn English. The former is a much more significant social problem.

I agree. The fact that the majority of whites have refused to integrate into American culture and instead chosen to ghettoized themselves is becoming a real problem.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
+1 for this. And +1 for changing demographics and the subsequent conquest of Texas and anywhere else it pisses off retards.

We need to really kick up the Spanish language education in public schools and really indoctrinate our kids. We're doing a bad job of it right now.

Mentioning Texas- I advocate giving Texas their nationhood as they want...
so the Mexican drug cartels can stomp all over their weak military and government like the steaming pile of sh** it would be in comparison to the power of the Zetas.

Texas will just be a state for the Mexican drug cartels to occupy as a puppet state. Those hillbillies can't possibly stand up to them without assistance from the US government.

There won't be any stopping the Mexicans, there's too many native hispanic-Americans in Texas, the drug cartels are too powerful thanks to redneck drug users feeding them billions in cash, and an independent Texas would be absolutely crushed.

If Texans think they're pissed off now, it would rise to beyond hilarity watching them become b****** to the Mexicans once their weak state is conquered within 2 days time.

PLEASE sign the petition https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ca-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B

And those of us in the USA can sell weapons to both sides :D We win no matter who wins the Texas vs Tejas war :D :D :D

I'm rooting for Tejas.

I have my money on Tejas, the white men who "won the west" in the past are today pussies who would voluntarily enroll in a diversity class if they felt it would make people more likely to tolerate THEM.

Pre-WW2 Texas however I doubt Tejas [let alone all of Mexico] would have a chance. Mexico got its ass utterly stomped in the Mexican-American war, but the "war" of today [if there even is one] is a cultural war. Culturally Mexico is winning big time, you cant win a war when your opponent is exporting 10s of millions of its population into your country every decade and making the places they move to adapt to THEM and not the other way around.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Is it finally time to make English the official language of America?
Yes, please, for god's sake. I don't really care much about nationalism for this, it's just pragmatism.
People already have enough difficulty communicating effectively when they all speak (approximately) the same language. Take someone from the deep south and plop him right in the middle of Boston. Or hell, take me and plop me in the middle of Boston. I suppose I'd have the rural/Pennsylvania Dutch accent, while they've all got....New England accent, is it? Just then, it's not always easy to know what's being said.
Now let's try mixing lots of different languages.

So, what the heck - I'm going to start using my own mathematical notation.
5*8 = 40

is now

► ▬ ├ ↕↕ τ

It's not oppression or "xenophobia" to tell me that I can't use that kind of notation and expect anyone else to understand it.
Or I could even just start using a base 9 numbering scheme. Still the same numbers, still the same mathematical notation, but just a different number scheme. I'd even call it out ahead of time. I don't think it'll be readily accepted though.

In engineering and science, you've got some standards. A person anywhere on the planet can know what "1 meter" is, and even, with proper equipment, produce a fresh and precise calibration from scratch. Or you have standards for materials. 6063-T6 aluminum must conform to certain defined parameters, or else it's not 6063-T6. I can't start calling it Delta 397b Aluminum and start whining when no one else understands me.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2001
I agree. The fact that the majority of whites have refused to integrate into American culture and instead chosen to ghettoized themselves is becoming a real problem.

Not white women, they are far more integrated into American society. It's white men who have removed themselves from American society and culture. This is a pretty big problem social problem, quite possibly the biggest social problem with regard to demographics that we have ever faced.

They may know English, but many of them don't know how to live in America anymore.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yes, please, for god's sake. I don't really care much about nationalism for this, it's just pragmatism.
People already have enough difficulty communicating effectively when they all speak (approximately) the same language. Take someone from the deep south and plop him right in the middle of Boston. Or hell, take me and plop me in the middle of Boston. I suppose I'd have the rural/Pennsylvania Dutch accent, while they've all got....New England accent, is it? Just then, it's not always easy to know what's being said.
Now let's try mixing lots of different languages.

So, what the heck - I'm going to start using my own mathematical notation.
5*8 = 40

is now

► ▬ ├ ↕↕ τ

It's not oppression or "xenophobia" to tell me that I can't use that kind of notation and expect anyone else to understand it.
Or I could even just start using a base 9 numbering scheme. Still the same numbers, still the same mathematical notation, but just a different number scheme. I'd even call it out ahead of time. I don't think it'll be readily accepted though.

In engineering and science, you've got some standards. A person anywhere on the planet can know what "1 meter" is, and even, with proper equipment, produce a fresh and precise calibration from scratch. Or you have standards for materials. 6063-T6 aluminum must conform to certain defined parameters, or else it's not 6063-T6. I can't start calling it Delta 397b Aluminum and start whining when no one else understands me.

You speakem' truth. Pragmatism > *

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Not white women, they are far more integrated into American society. It's white men who have removed themselves from American society and culture. This is a pretty big problem social problem, quite possibly the biggest social problem with regard to demographics that we have ever faced.

They may know English, but many of them don't know how to live in America anymore.

Eh, married white women think along the same lines as married white men, stats bare this out easily. Married black women tend to think along the same lines as married black men. Divide and conquer is a nice game to play but the main division amongst white people comes down to baby mamas who have 5 kids from 5 different men. Of course they are going to think and vote differently than a married woman who has a college education and knows who the father of her children is. Their live in boyfriends think similarly to them aswell im sure.

The white women who could be considered a "minority" are the baby mamas, the ones I know think its great that you get more money [from the government] for not being married and plopping out kid after kid and not knowing "who da daddy be". In reality though they are just a step up above from scum, if they are considered "integrated" and the "future" then it makes you wonder how fucked up this country will be 20 or 30 years from now.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I've read through 3 pages of this thread so far, and countless others on this same topic, and I STILL have no idea what problem making English the official language is supposed to solve. The unofficial rule is that getting ahead requires speaking English because that's what pretty much everyone lower-middle class and up speaks. What possible difference does it make if official documents and things of that nature are provided in languages other than English?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Eh, married white women think along the same lines as married white men, stats bare this out easily. Married black women tend to think along the same lines as married black men. Divide and conquer is a nice game to play but the main division amongst white people comes down to baby mamas who have 5 kids from 5 different men. Of course they are going to think and vote differently than a married woman who has a college education and knows who the father of her children is. Their live in boyfriends think similarly to them aswell im sure.

The white women who could be considered a "minority" are the baby mamas, the ones I know think its great that you get more money [from the government] for not being married and plopping out kid after kid and not knowing "who da daddy be". In reality though they are just a step up above from scum, if they are considered "integrated" and the "future" then it makes you wonder how fucked up this country will be 20 or 30 years from now.

I like how your two categories of women are "married women" and "complete ho-bags". It's almost hard to believe conservatives have some trouble with the female vote...

Aug 14, 2001

It's primarily older white people who think it is great when they get free stuff from the government. The biggest drivers of domestic spending are programs made to benefit older white people in the US. This is actually part of the problem - these people feel entitled that a more diverse and integrated electorate must support their free government stuff.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Most of the MLB would be deported then. I for one dont give a crap. Making "english" official is pretty stupid. Hell, "most 'mericans aint speeking proply" anyway.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

How is that different from what we have now??

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No, there is no national language or official language and there should not be one. Language changes over time. I see our language changing as more of a mixture of Spanish and English over the years. Taking the strengths of each language and combining into one.