Is it disrespectful for civilians to wear USMC gears or clothing in the public?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think there's a difference between a kid playing, and an adult actively trying to lie to people in public in full uniform, posing for a job they never actually did. Which is also different than what the OP is asking, which is just some camo clothes.
This is why I was careful in my reply to exclude children from the gem-like flames of my righteousness. I can see that a kid might want to wear the garb, particularly if a parent was in the military or a veteran.

Reactions: Kaido

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
A uniform and a couple of items of clothing are two different things. As long as you aren't wearing rank, awards or unit patches/insignia, I wouldn't care. I'd question your mental stability but I wouldn't care about the clothing items.

No idea what the law says though.
<--- Veteran

Reactions: clamum and Kaido

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I think it's stupid for ANYONE to wear military clothing in public. I get it, soldiers are proud, and civilians think it's just cool. Regardless, when walking in the city, you are not at war, and not doing a military exercise. Take it off, and change into civilian clothes.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I think it's stupid for ANYONE to wear military clothing in public. I get it, soldiers are proud, and civilians think it's just cool. Regardless, when walking in the city, you are not at war, and not doing a military exercise. Take it off, and change into civilian clothes.

I like to wear my old BDU's when doing construction, yard work, painting, and other DIY or dirty type stuff. My old camo uniforms have proven to be some seriously durable work clothes. If I was in a city but it was clear I was painting a house would that be OK? As long as I don't "walk" in the city? Maybe jog? If I'm jogging do I have to sing cadence? Do you speak for all the city dwellers? I wouldn't want to offend or upset anyone so I really need to know.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm not a veteran but have relatives who have served and are serving now.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you're not trying to impersonate a soldier or commit that goofy "stolen valor" bullshit. Why the hell anyone would care if I wear a woodland camo jacket I got at a military surplus store is beyond me. I think you're the one with issues if you do, not me for wearing it. You gotta be high to think someone who wears a camo jacket or camo fatigues is trying to be a soldier.

Reactions: lxskllr

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Do you think that Batman gets mad when people dress like him for Halloween? I would think that he would be flattered that someone thought enough about him to dress like him.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not a veteran but have relatives who have served and are serving now.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you're not trying to impersonate a soldier or commit that goofy "stolen valor" bullshit. Why the hell anyone would care if I wear a woodland camo jacket I got at a military surplus store is beyond me. I think you're the one with issues if you do, not me for wearing it. You gotta be high to think someone who wears a camo jacket or camo fatigues is trying to be a soldier.
Yup. I wear the stuff cause it's the best available, reliably sized, and cheap. They don't make civilian items that can touch used genuine military at 10x the price.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I live in Wisconsin and that's all some guys and some gals wear here is camo. It's funny to go to a shopping mall and see a couple, the woman dressed very nicely, and her man wearing a baseball cap and his best holy camo tee shirt.

Once I got out of the Army I never wore any of it anymore, most of it is ill fitting and not very comfortable, you can buy a lot better work and sport clothing on the civilian side. And I don't liked to be thanked for my service, those that haven't been in maybe don't realize that everyone that serves isn't always a hero, and quite a few soldiers are simply douchebags and morons, just like in the civilian world, it's a job.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lighten up Francis. You managed to do a great job bludgeoning that fake Iowa "shithole".

Plenty of guys and gals in uniform don't see the need for any public recognition. It's great that you can tell just by looking at them which ones have earned some praise. Since your doing hypothetical so well let try this on for size:

The small animal killing Iowan joins the military. There she is taught how to be a medic. The war machine sends her to the desert. She is stuck at an outpost in the middle of nowhere. Some tribal shit hits the fan and some locals get shot up. Of course, they run to the nearest U.S. outpost to get patched up. For the first time in her life the object of your scorn recognizes her true calling. Spends the rest of her life working in the medical field helping others. Has she earned that handshake now?

So what's the big deal if some random stranger happens to walk up and thank her for a job well done? We could use a few more random acts of kindness instead of the venom you spew.

I agree that we could use more random acts of kindness instead of "the venom that I spew."

I also believe that we could use far less illegal wars of false aggression where 100s of thousands of innocent civilians are murdered for no logical reason, terrorist groups are strengthened and emboldened as a result, and an entire region of the planet is engulfed in flaming rage and bloody chaos as ultra fundamentalist right-wing shitmonsters regain control for decades as a direct result of such monstrous policies...all the while a bunch of "brave, self-lionizing patriots" signed on to blindly support, via "brave self-sacrifice," such painfully obvious illegal actions.

So yeah, that too.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
My sisters hubby was in the army for 20 years,always had freebie clothing and jackets etc.I thought the quality was crap.This is british army gear btw.Only ever wore the cargo pants in public,which developed a hole in the pocket after a few weeks of carrying a key there.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're betraying your attitude, being surly and unaccepting. The simple fact is, military pants are far more practical for everyday activities other than casual leisure. All those pockets are hell of handy and the camos don't show stains and the cloth is way way way tougher than the junk they use for civilian pants. What do I care if you disapprove of the way I dress, I have my own life to live. A well made tough pair of G.I. camo pants will outlast civilian pants by a factor of 5. If you're a DIY kind of person, they are just the thing.
My sisters hubby was in the army for 20 years,always had freebie clothing and jackets etc.I thought the quality was crap.This is british army gear btw.Only ever wore the cargo pants in public,which developed a hole in the pocket after a few weeks of carrying a key there.
There is a lot of imitation stuff out there, you have to be discerning and try to get what they make for soldiers in the field, where it's essential that it's tough.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you're Canadian and want to honour troops at least wear Canadian army related clothing. I think it's weird to honour troops of another country unless there's a very specific occasion to do it, but not just in general. But I would never wear a full uniform, while there is more than likely no actual real rule against it, IMO you should not wear a full uniform unless you have served.

There may be clothing you can find that has "support our troops" or similar saying or theme to it, I'd say that would be better than wearing actual military clothing. I'd check with a Legion office if you're serious about it, they may have some tips on proper "protocol". Maybe something you didn't think of that they can say is a big honour to troops. The obvious one is wearing a poppy around remembrance day, but maybe even wearing it all the time is an extra thing you can do.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
If a person is trying to use a complete uniform to impersonate someone who has served they have not that is of course beyond the pale.

If a person is wearing an article or maybe two of surplus clothes or gear that is obviously from 10 or more years ago and would not be mistaken for a piece of current uniform (for doing outdoor chores or somesuch) and is not representative of any awards or rank then it is much less of a problem.

However anyone wearing a dress uniform or 2 or more pieces of one and does something disrespectful in public I do see that as a problem.

It's a case by case basis imo.

_________

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
You're betraying your attitude, being surly and unaccepting. The simple fact is, military pants are far more practical for everyday activities other than casual leisure. All those pockets are hell of handy and the camos don't show stains and the cloth is way way way tougher than the junk they use for civilian pants.

I have found that Dickies work cargo pants with included cell phone pocket is at least as practical as old BDUs or ACUs or whatever is current pants for everyday activities
and if you really want to get into durable practical pants and have extra fund then these an example of a pricier option from the 5.11 brand are top notch.

https://tacticalgear.com/511-stryke-pants-battle-brown#/14410/0,1508/1

*edited for obvious spelling error

Reactions: Muse

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have found that Dickies work cargo pants with included cell phone pocket is at least as practical as old BDUs or ACUs or whatever is current pants for everyday activities
and if you really want to get into durable practical pants and have extra fund then these an example of a pricier option from the 5.11 brand are top notch.

https://tacticalgear.com/511-stryke-pants-battle-brown#/14410/0,1508/1

*edited for obvious spelling error

I'll take my $7 ACU/BDUs that have been tested in battle. If Stryke pants were better, the military would be using Stryke pants.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
65% poly D^:

I'll take my $7 ACU/BDUs that have been tested in battle. If Stryke pants were better, the military would be using Stryke pants.

I have experience with ACU's and BDU's. and I find that the Dickies I mentioned which you ignored to make a snarky remark against 5.11 brand pants that acquaintances and friends have spoken well of to me are better than either of the ACU's or BDUs.

but hey the great thing is that we have choices.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have experience with ACU's and BDU's. and I find that the Dickies I mentioned which you ignored to make a snarky remark against 5.11 brand pants that acquaintances and friends have spoken well of to me are better than either of the ACU's or BDUs.

but hey the great thing is that we have choices.

You didn't link the dickies, but I'll still take genuine military. My use and military use exactly overlap, and they've been field tested for function. The fact I can buy military for the cost of lunch is icing on the cake.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
You didn't link the dickies, but I'll still take genuine military. My use and military use exactly overlap, and they've been field tested for function. The fact I can buy military for the cost of lunch is icing on the cake.

https://www.dickies.com/pants/indus...s/2112372.html?dwvar_2112372_color=BK#start=3
this is a link to Dickies pants that are very similar to what I have bought a few times. from Target on sale for about $17 each the main difference is an additional smart phone pocket that is tucked just above the right cargo pocket so that the phone is between the outer cargo pocket and your right leg.
It fits my daily use well.

As for the 5.11 brand pants they get good reviews on amazon and other sites so I'll probably try out the brand marketed for EMT personnel because the idea of cargo pockets with dividers inside seems like it will fit well with what I carry on me everyday cell phone, flashlight, extra flashlight batteries, small AAA auxiliary light and knife.

In the summer I also wear a Red Head brand vest from Bass and Pro shops for extra pocket space in addition to my cargo pants. Maybe I'm a nut?
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-ripstop-utility-vests-for-men

*edited to add italicized part for clarification

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My Air Force pants have dividers in the cargo pockets. They aren't so useful for me. I need big pockets I can cram stuff in quick, and remove it fast. It's not unusual for me to have a few paint cans, a field book, and misc crap stuffed into my leg pockets.

Vests are useful. I used to wear a Filson when it was cooler, and a heavy plastic mesh vest in the summer. My Filson got misplaced, and the plastic vest wasn't that comfortable. It's also too hot for in the summer. I wear a light safety vest when I have to, and it has a bunch of pockets, but you can't load it down. The material's too light.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
My Filson got misplaced, and the plastic vest wasn't that comfortable. It's also too hot for in the summer. I wear a light safety vest when I have to, and it has a bunch of pockets, but you can't load it down. The material's too light.

If you're ever near a Bass and Pro shop walk in and take a look at the vest I linked.
I have found that it is thin enough material to be very tolerable in the summer (90 plus Fahrenheit even 100 plus at times) and durable enough to carry in its pockets a flashlight, 4 spare CR123 batteries in a low profile plastic carrier, a lot of spare change and in the small of the back of the vest is a larger pocket for medium sized not too thick notebooks.

Reactions: lxskllr