Is it disrespectful for civilians to wear USMC gears or clothing in the public?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
De gustibus, but I personally draw a distinction between wearing a uniform (not even vaguely ok) and individual function pieces of military gear that one can wear without giving the impression that one is trying to pass oneself off as a service member. For example, I'm ex-Navy. I have uniforms in my closet that I really can't imagine ever wearing again. (I'm not retired.) But my insignia-less bridge coat? I have exactly zero qualms about breaking that out on the rare occasions it's cold enough to justify it.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
but it's people like you that make me hope that your selfish, ungrateful kind (like blackjack) never take over this country.

It'd be horrible. Think of all the wars that would go unfought! And I'd be out of a job :(

You're right, we should stick with the imperialistic authoritarian schtick. Then everybody can mindlessly cheer and clap in peace, without being subjected to any horrible dissent or contrary opinion about such a display.

Reactions: KMFJD

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It'd be horrible. Think of all the wars that would go unfought! And I'd be out of a job :(

You're right, we should stick with the imperialistic authoritarian schtick. Then everybody can mindlessly cheer and clap in peace, without being subjected to any horrible dissent or contrary opinion about such a display.

Read the last part of my response. I certainly don't agree with many of the wars we fight, but good luck thinking you are going to stop them just because you say so. Hating on the people who go rather than you isn't noble, it's naive.

The real brainwashing is anyone thinking the average person actually has any say in what happens.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Uh, it isn't about YOU, it's about the people coming home on leave most likely from wherever they've been activated to. It isn't brain washing, and there's a difference between supporting the government agenda and supporting people doing a job YOU apparently think you are too good to do. Thank god you went on that Florida vacation. The world is safer for it. Think of it this way, if those people were NOT in the military, then everyone (I don't know if you are from the US or not) would be up for drafting. So rather than think of it as an inconvenience, think of it as helping YOU or your family not have to go in their place.

The military forces refused to turn to a draft when they had manpower shortages during the Iraq war. Instead they chose to lengthen tours and force people to go back many times. If the military really didn't have the manpower to fight these wars, I think it's much more likely that they'd be forced to scale back their aggression rather than drafting people.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I certainly don't agree with many of the wars we fight, but good luck thinking you are going to stop them just because you say so. Hating on the people who go rather than you isn't noble, it's naive.

I don't hate them. I respect them, just like I respect every other person until they prove they don't deserve it. Many of them are my friends.

I don't see the need for a special announcement followed by applause at the end of a flight. As WelshBloke pointed out, firefighters and teachers don't get it, why should anyone else? It's just, like, my opinion man.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The military forces refused to turn to a draft when they had manpower shortages during the Iraq war. Instead they chose to lengthen tours and force people to go back many times. If the military really didn't have the manpower to fight these wars, I think it's much more likely that they'd be forced to scale back their aggression rather than drafting people.

That could be the case, but many things have changed since then. They are (at least from the reports I've seen) really struggling with finding people these days.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't hate them. I respect them, just like I respect every other person until they prove they don't deserve it. Many of them are my friends.

I don't see the need for a special announcement followed by applause at the end of a flight. As WelshBloke pointed out, firefighters and teachers don't get it, why should anyone else? It's just, like, my opinion man.

Fair enough.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Oh, you poor poor child! So sad you had to endure that! I'm no lover of the extreme right wing and most definitely no lover of war (as I've witnessed first-hand what being in war cost the vets of WW2, Korea, and Vietnam), but it's people like you that make me hope that your selfish, ungrateful kind (like blackjack) never take over this country.

You cry crocodile tear for the troops but have nothing to say about the heinous policies that put them in harm's way, and offer nothing for the disabled or destitute service members.

You're superficial "support" might fool some people, but it doesn't fool me.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I was forced to set foot in Florida due to a family vacation. Upon landing there, one of the flight attendants with a breathy southern drawl got on the PA and started going on about thanking any active military and veterans on the plane, god bless our troops, fighting for our freedom, bunch of dumbass cliches. My girlfriend and I were sitting there looking aghast at each other wondering why we were being subjected to such cringeworthy inanity when she finally finished ... and to our surprise most of the plane broke out into applause. Brainwashed indeed, it was disturbing as hell.

Historians will write about your struggle.

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
what a strange thing to do.
Yeah, its the worship like praise some people give that made me stop telling people I am/was in the military and travelling to/from work in uniform. Thankfully I ran into very few people like that in Canada.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
In Canada, section 419 of the Criminal Code makes it a crime to wear a uniform from the Canadian Forces without authority as well as any awards or marks not earned. It additionally makes it a crime to possess any fraudulent discharge papers, commissions, warrants or military ID, including those that are forged, altered or belong to someone else.[32]

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Do you do that to policemen, firemen, teachers or deep sea fishermen?

Well, I have thanked first responders that have crossed my path, but as I said, i don't 'run over to them'. I have thanked teachers. To my knowledge, I've never met a deep sea fisherman. :)

Reactions: highland145

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Idiot, you totally missed my point; most likely deliberately. I said that I was no lover of war, so congrats for being a disingenuous twatwaffle.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Nobody thanks me(aside from the guy at the 7-11 who confused me with military since I was wearing blueberry pants, an ACU jacket, combat boots, and a generic camo boonie hat :rollseyes: ), and you'd have a hard time getting to my house with using infrastructure I helped build. I've been to shock trauma, trashed my back, got Lyme disease, and I think my knees are starting to go.

You're welcome...

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Idiot, you totally missed my point; most likely deliberately. I said that I was no lover of war, so congrats for being a disingenuous twatwaffle.

You had no point. Your post was literally just an idiotic knee jerk attack, apparently because I am not "patriotic" enough for you, despite actually actively working with military (many of whom agree completely with my point) to legitimately make our country safer (NOT on war). What was there to miss?

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
Guys - can we please stop with the political arguments? I personally don't believe with some of the wars that US wages but that blame falls on the politicians. My respect towards veterans and active personnel is not aligned in any way with political beliefs or ideology.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
And yet another disingenuous twatwaffle. I stated that I was no lover of war. I also agree that the elites that run our government are culpable in getting us in some of these situations. Go listen to the Five Finger Death Punch song 'No One Gets Left Behind'. My caring about vets isn't for any love / desire for war or love of the sh*ts in DC that get us in trouble, dumbass. It's because I've seen first-hand how war affects the vets and their families. Try having some real compassion for people unlike the pretend sh*t that libs like you self-righteously flaunt.

A guy that lived on my street growing up was a Korean war PoW. My dad was a Marine in WW2 and rarely said anything to my sibs and I about it; he told more stuff to my nieces and nephews. Dad of my older brothers' best friend growing up was an alcoholic mess from being in ww2. My cousin was a scout in 'nam. He came home kinda messed up and my POS uncle threw him out when my cuz tried to talk to him about it. One of the few people that my cuz could talk to was my dad. My cousin lost her husband in Baghdad 14 years ago; he was literally blown up.

So saawwwrrrryy I offended your self-righteous, holier-than-thou lib BS sensibilities, little boy. Go give your Bernie doll head and pray for free sh*t like a good little boy.

You cry crocodile tear for the troops but have nothing to say about the heinous policies that put them in harm's way, and offer nothing for the disabled or destitute service members.

You're superficial "support" might fool some people, but it doesn't fool me.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
A uniform that makes you look millitary when you arent, yes its very disrespectful.

Wearing just a pair of millitary pants or a jacket etc which make it impossible for anyone to be confused as to your status, no not at all.

Reactions: Paladin3

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well, I have thanked first responders that have crossed my path, but as I said, i don't 'run over to them'. I have thanked teachers. To my knowledge, I've never met a deep sea fisherman. :)
See to me being thanked by total strangers would really weird me out. I've had ex patients or relatives talk to me in shops and I'm not entirely comfortable with that but total strangers would set lots of "weirdo" alarm bells going.