Is it bad to eat microwave dinners a lot?

Since I moved into my own place, I have been buying a lot of microwave dinners (Banquet, Swanson, Bob Evans, etc.) because they're on sale for REDICULOUSLY cheap at Mejier (10 pot pies for $4, $0.79 for a Banquet entree, etc.).

It seems like they have a lot of chemicals - I'm making a Banquet Beef Enchilada meal now and the ingredients include Tricalcium Phosphate, Silicon Dioxide (anti caking agent, apparently), Sodium Aluminum Phosphate.

I know they wouldn't sell the dinners if they weren't safe to eat, but I'm wondering if it's detrimental to eat them consistently. Most days I'll have one microwave meal - either a burrito or an entree or something like that - for lunch, and then I'll make chicken wings or something similar for dinner. Am I harming myself?

Okay then, new question: what's an easy to make, healthy meal that I can have for lunch?

I guess I could buy cold cuts and wheat bread...

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Okay then, new question: what's an easy to make, healthy meal that I can have for lunch?

buy real meat thought, not that processed crap.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Buy some containers that go from freezer to microwave.You can make things like grilled chicken with veggies,rice or pasta that are easy to make,healthy and delicious tasting.

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
salad w/minimal amt of dressing. add cooked shrimp/chicken/tuna/walnuts for protein.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003

sandwiches are good. if you have access to a toaster oven, toasted sandwiches are really good. even microwaved sandwiches are better than regular cold, dry ones, imo.

also, you can make a big fresh dinner and then eat leftovers for a quick lunch.

I was also thinking about this - on Sunday, I'll make a BIG pot of chili or some other large quantity meal with good ingredients (spaghetti w/meatballs) and refrigerate it. Then during the week I'll help myself to it for lunch, dinner, or whenever I feel like it.

How about that?

Kemosabe1447

Mar 6, 2003
I don't think the meal itself is bad for you, of course there are healthier options. But I don't think microwaving all that plastic is a good idea. Even if it is "microwave safe" that just means that it won't melt in there. It still gives off chemicals from the plastic.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
I was also thinking about this - on Sunday, I'll make a BIG pot of chili or some other large quantity meal with good ingredients (spaghetti w/meatballs) and refrigerate it. Then during the week I'll help myself to it for lunch, dinner, or whenever I feel like it.

How about that?

that's exactly what i do. jambalaya is also good. i usually double this recipe and it lasts for a few days.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
get some chicken breast,buy the family sized pack when they go on sale.Wash chicken,cut into strips,beat with a meat hammer.Place chicken in tupperware container with some chopped onions,garlic.. you can then add freshly ground black pepper.Then add things like terikyi sauce or low fat italian dressings,honey dijoin works well too.Alternatively add wine,cover,place in fridge for 24 hours. Presto,you've got grilling material for several meals.

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
get some chicken breast,buy the family sized pack when they go on sale.Wash chicken,cut into strips,beat with a meat hammer.Place chicken in tupperware container with some chopped onions,garlic.. you can then add freshly ground black pepper.Then add things like terikyi sauce or low fat italian dressings,honey dijoin works well too.Alternatively add wine,cover,place in fridge for 24 hours. Presto,you've got grilling material for several meals.

i think it's better to marinade the chicken in teriyaki sauce for a few hours before microwaving.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Fsck it!

Eat what you want. You gotta die of something.

amish

yeah but if he eats healthy he won't have people dropping dead of fright when they see him naked :D

You get used to it.

Besides....what's the chance of people on this board being seen naked by another person (legally and with the other person's permission)? ;)

amish

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Fsck it!

Eat what you want. You gotta die of something.

amish

yeah but if he eats healthy he won't have people dropping dead of fright when they see him naked :D

You get used to it.

Besides....what's the chance of people on this board being seen naked by another person (legally and with the other person's permission)? ;)

amish

You have a valid point there! :D