Is HBO's Rome worth watching?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Hmm, I may have to get HBO. . . and a digital cable subscription . . . and a TV . . .

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chambersc
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Without a doubt. It is fantastic!

And it was "killed" due to the ridiculously high budget.

I read an article in The New York Times about this some months back. I believe they said it cost $4million per episode.

OP: Yes, Rome is worth it. It's an EXCELLENT show. Wanna know another good show on HBO -- Extras. For the life of me, I don't know when the eps come on, though. I catch 'em on but never remember when they played later. Can someone help me with the regular time that it airs as well as the reruns?
It's more than $4mil/episode, the total cost of the first season alone was $100mil(split between HBO, BBC, and RAI), which comes out to over 8mil/episode. In reality many of the costs are fixed(i.e. the very expensive sets), so the actual per-episode costs are much lower.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Lumathix
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I liked it, not as good as Carnivale.

:confused:
Well, one man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. I thought Carnivale was horrible, but Rome is my favorite show.

Did you watch Carnivale from the beginning of season 1? I did not really start to like it until I had watched the first three episodes, then I was hooked. I admit that it would be very hard to get into if one was to just watch random episodes.