Is HBO's Rome worth watching?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
So watching the show was one option in your mind. Care to share the alternative?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Its phenominal and the second season (in progress now) rocks!
Agreed. I mean really, how can you go wrong with a show that includes dismemberment and orgies?:D

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Its phenominal and the second season (in progress now) rocks!
Agreed. I mean really, how can you go wrong with a show that includes dismemberment and orgies?:D

******SPOILER IF YOU KNOW NOTHING OF BASIC ROMAN HISTORY************

I thought I'd lose interest after Ceasar died.. I wished they hadn't killed him off so soon (I know you can't change history but they could've drawn it out a bit). Then I read on Wikipedia that Octavian was the next emperor and thought that was a good plot twist, sure enough it gets interesting again when he grows up.

I hope they make more shows like this.. not the most accurate portrayal of history but it gets me interested enough to read up on it and find out what really happened.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I thought that the first 4-6 episodes of season one were fairly numb and didn't draw me in. It started picking up some momentum halfway through.

So far season 2 has been paced a lot better. Almost awkwardly fast actually. In one scene it seemed like Octavian aged 5-10 years with everyone seeming like it was a few weeks.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I thought that the first 4-6 episodes of season one were fairly numb and didn't draw me in. It started picking up some momentum halfway through.

So far season 2 has been paced a lot better. Almost awkwardly fast actually. In one scene it seemed like Octavian aged 5-10 years with everyone seeming like it was a few weeks.

It's probably because they know there won't be a season 3.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: michaels
I just got Season 1 from a friend.

i was surprised they killed off Caesar in Season1. now whats going to happen season 2- 10?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Aquaman
Season 2 is the last season.

Cheers,
Aquaman

oh wow.. why did they kill it?

heck, why even make season 2 then?

killing caesar would have been a logical point to stop. HBO could have just said ROME was a mini-series, like band of brothers