Is Being Obese Disabled?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Being Obese Disabled?

• Obesity is not a disability.

• Obesity is a disability - but they do NOT deserve the same treatment as the handicapped/disabled.

• Obesity is a disability and they DO deserve the same treatment as the handicapped/disabled.

• I am a raging moron.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 25, 2011
holly fuck.

yes you can "fix" a disability. just becuase you go on to list things you think are not fixable you are not exactly right. just because you lose a leg does not make you "disabled"

you are taking a very narrow view of "disabled" one not rooted in reality.

you can be temporally disabled. you can be fully disabled but get better with surgery, PT, etc.

disabled is not just a life long condition or something that can not be "fixed"

Wat8.jpg

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
So what your saying is that if I have a really bad sinus infection and can't work, I'm disabled and not sick?

I'll categorize disabled as being permanently unable to perform the functions of a fully functional average human without assistance. Anything else is illness/injury.

I had stomach surgery a few months ago. I was unable to walk far, situp on my own, etc. I was not disabled, I was injured. AKA I got better. A family member dislocated their thumb. They are doing PT and it's getting better. If it regains 'normal' use than they just had an injury and recovered. If it never regains normal use than they are disabled. It's pretty cut and dry.

The main take away is if you can do something to make your 'disability' 100% disappear you are not disabled, you are just a lazy sad human.

no disability is not permanent is the point. Even with diagnoses many used to think as permanent.

Medical science today has helped many. such as say a person losing a leg (or even 2). not all are disabled. Some can continue to have a full life and even have very successful athletic careers.

things such ad polio used to be disabling. but again we have ways to treat it .

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
read his first paragraph again. now make "it" in the third sentence refer to one of the 3 examples he gives in his second sentence. don't make "it" refer to the general term "disability" he refers to in his first sentence.

let me know if you need help wiping as well. i'm here for you.

A disability isn't something you can 'fix'. Nobody can regrow a leg, fix a mental deficiency, or fully repair a ruined joint. You are stuck with a mental deficiency, or a ruined joint for the rest of your life and all you can do is learn to live with it.

Yeah, that doesn't change a thing. These are still examples of his permanent disabilities and none of that explains how a broken leg is a disability by this definition.

Whoever pissed in your cornflakes this morning wasn't me. Calm down on the personal attacks, OK? I said I might be wrong and you still act like a wise and beautiful woman.

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
1st and foremost, I am not sure if this is fake. It could be some good old fashioned shitlord trolling.

http://imgur.com/gallery/HpBF9yq

Personally, no. I do not consider them to be disabled. They chose to get into that shape and they can get out of it.

Even if these people are disabled (of the non-obesity variety), don't block the kid's view.

While I agree that becoming obese is a choice and at stages can be reversed once they get to a certain size the body doesn't react as one would expect it and it's VERY difficult to drop weight once they've got a "metabolic condition" which is just a fancy way of saying they're super insulin resistant and their body is pretty much always hungry and craving carbs which just exacerbates the problem. With that said, don't become a fatass and you wont have to worry about how hard it is to reverse hormonal changes in your body while it's in all out "eat all the candy mode".

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
As much as it rubs me the wrong way to say it, but it is a disability because it prevents one from functioning normally. However, it is a self inflicted disability. It is also disability that can be reversed as long as one can keep his eating habits in check.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So if she had a thyroid problem, and she blew up to 500, that means she was like maybe 475-490 prior to the thyroid problem.

if she told you she got fat because of her thyroid, she's lying to you.

More than likely her thyroid is messed up because she's 500 pounds.

She was heavy before, maybe 250-300, but, got got sick and got much bigger very fast. It was found that she had tyyroid problems. I understand you want to point fingers and be a dick about things, however, that simply makes problems worse and does not help anything.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
She was heavy before, maybe 250-300, but, got got sick and got much bigger very fast. It was found that she had tyyroid problems. I understand you want to point fingers and be a dick about things, however, that simply makes problems worse and does not help anything.

She didn't get from 250 to 500 because of a thyroid problem. That's all I'm saying. She might have a thyroid problem, but that's not the cause. Many obese people love to blame it on their thyroid because it becomes an excuse to give up. Oh, my thyroid is bad so I'm forced to be obese.

A broken thyroid will cause 10-20 pounds of weight gain. Maybe 30 in extreme cases if you're 6ft5.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
She didn't get from 250 to 500 because of a thyroid problem. That's all I'm saying. She might have a thyroid problem, but that's not the cause. Many obese people love to blame it on their thyroid because it becomes an excuse to give up. Oh, my thyroid is bad so I'm forced to be obese.

A broken thyroid will cause 10-20 pounds of weight gain. Maybe 30 in extreme cases if you're 6ft5.

Ohh, are you a doctor? gonna change it to 'TechBoyMD' ?

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I want to have an opinion but i'm a dirty smoker and drink way to much beer. But I am good shape so far..key word 'so far'

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

This reads like, "She was in debt before, maybe 25-30k, but got got fired and got much more indebted very fast."

You expect me to believe that people can balance their finances but they can't balance their energy intake\expenditure? I eat around 2400 calories a day, but if I broke my leg and couldn't run 5 miles a day anymore, I'd know to reduce my caloric intake accordingly.

Thyroid conditions are:
1) Very rare (less than 1% of the population has them.)
2) Easily controlled with simple, cheap medication
3) Typically account for a weight gain\loss of 10% of body mass before treated

Mostly they're just something that fatties latch onto as an excuse. I don't even know how many fat asses I've met that have self diagnosed "thyroid cundishuns."

Once more, even if your thyroid doesn't work, that doesn't make you fat. All the food you eat makes you fat.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This reads like, "She was in debt before, maybe 25-30k, but got got fired and got much more indebted very fast."

You expect me to believe that people can balance their finances but they can't balance their energy intake\expenditure? I eat around 2400 calories a day, but if I broke my leg and couldn't run 5 miles a day anymore, I'd know to reduce my caloric intake accordingly.

Thyroid conditions are:
1) Very rare (less than 1% of the population has them.)
2) Easily controlled with simple, cheap medication
3) Typically account for a weight gain\loss of 10% of body mass before treated

Mostly they're just something that fatties latch onto as an excuse. I don't even know how many fat asses I've met that have self diagnosed "thyroid cundishuns."

Once more, even if your thyroid doesn't work, that doesn't make you fat. All the food you eat makes you fat.

She was fat before, but stable, but got sick and got much fatter very quickly.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Ohh, are you a doctor? gonna change it to 'TechBoyMD' ?

It's common knowledge in the health world that a broken thyroid doesn't cause significant weight gain.

The only people who don't accept this are those who have problems they hide behind that myth.

My gf is a very successful nurse with a dead thyroid. She didn't take her thyroid medicine for 6 months. She gained 10 pounds.

Again, it's basic scientific fact that thyroid problems can cause only minor weight gain.

If this girl went from 250-500, there's no room to argue it was from her thyroid. It simply wasn't that. Something happened, of course, but it wasn't her thyroid to blame.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
She was fat before, but stable, but got sick and got much fatter very quickly.

She probably got sick, which made her depressed and less active, and she ate more.

It could very well be from a medical issue.

All we're trying to tell you is that it certainly was not her thyroid to blame. It's nothing personal. A lot of people don't realize that you can't get fat from a failed thyroid BECAUSE so many people cling to that as an excuse.

My gf does claims for an insurance company, and they literally reject thyroid issues as a cause for weight gain. If an obese person says they're obese because of their thyroid, she calls their doctor to get the truth. In fact, the insurance company takes issue with that claim and will request an investigation.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I say we just all chill at home and let the gov just print out money endlessly so none of us have to lift a finger.

Screw austerity!

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
My gf does claims for an insurance company, and they literally reject thyroid issues as a cause for weight gain. If an obese person says they're obese because of their thyroid, she calls their doctor to get the truth. In fact, the insurance company takes issue with that claim and will request an investigation.

Are there legal consquences when their claim is rejected for being a big fat liar?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Are there legal consquences when their claim is rejected for being a big fat liar?

I doubt they go that far, but the ins company wants to know why they're obese so they can make business decisions on the risks. And they also want the person to get the correct treatment.

If the person says they're 600 pounds because of their thyroid, the insurance company knows they won't drop down to 150 if they start taking thyroid medicine.

That's another thing. If someone is going to blame their thyroid, there's medicine for that. It's not a legit excuse for obesity in 2015.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I
That's another thing. If someone is going to blame their thyroid, there's medicine for that. It's not a legit excuse for obesity in 2015.

Yeah, its called Levothyroxin (synthetic hormone). My mom had her thyroid gland removed decades ago due to growths on it. She's been on the drug since. She did lose some of the weight she gained the year it was failing, but is still fatter than she was before. Still, she's not even close to being morbidly obese (you don't make it to 88 years old being very fat). The other day I was taking her to an appointment and we saw this woman who could have been a body double for Jabba the Hut rolling through an intersection on a mobility scooter. She looked like she was in her 30s and must have weighed close to 500 pounds. Mom mom blurted out "OMG - that's just ridiculous!". Even a mild-mannered granny can get disgusted by some of these people. ;)

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I'm slightly over weight and do not exercise as much as I used to in the past.

That is my fault, it's not a disability.

The deteriated disks in my spine might be a different subject after years of working my ass off decades in tool shops might be a different story, for another day.

I think I'm about ready to just bite a bullet these days.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Sheesh people... there's absolutely nothing in the definition of "disability" to distinguish between self-inflicted issues (such as obesity) and issues that are outside of your control. Just more fat hating in Off Topic; should we really be surprised? :rolleyes:

(To be clear, I don't exactly think someone should let themselves go to that extent where they need a scooter to get around.)

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Sheesh people... there's absolutely nothing in the definition of "disability" to distinguish between self-inflicted issues (such as obesity) and issues that are outside of your control. Just more fat hating in Off Topic; should we really be surprised? :rolleyes:

(To be clear, I don't exactly think someone should let themselves go to that extent where they need a scooter to get around.)

If you really want to fuck with that line of thinking, throw a failed suicide attempt->permanent disability example at them.

Attempted to shoot self, resulted in severe brain damage. Can't move/eat. Disabled or no? :D

Wait, no, make it a fixable/non-permanent injury! LOL