Is Being Obese Disabled?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Being Obese Disabled?

• Obesity is not a disability.

• Obesity is a disability - but they do NOT deserve the same treatment as the handicapped/disabled.

• Obesity is a disability and they DO deserve the same treatment as the handicapped/disabled.

• I am a raging moron.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
A disability isn't something you can 'fix'. Nobody can regrow a leg, fix a mental deficiency, or fully repair a ruined joint. You are stuck with it for the rest of your life and all you can do is learn to live with it.

Obesity however is something you can 'fix'. It's 100% curable. You simply eat less calories than your body needs on a daily basis. It sucks, it's terribly annoying and it requires you to exercise self control (which is nearly impossible for most americans). However, if you are fat and not disabled, it is only because you lack the fortitude to do something about it.
Your definition of disability sucks, badly.

If both your legs are broken are you disabled? Can you get in/out of a car and get into a store easily? Can it be fixed?

If you saw someone in double leg casts, somehow, get out of a car and into a store, would you be upset if they used the handicap spot (with a tag)?

Do you understand what a short term disability is?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Not to sympathize with that type of obese folk, but they could potentially have an underlying disability that negates their ability to exercise and helps contribute to their weight problem.

But no, obesity is not a disability. And in the case of the above, the women should have observed the kiddo and allowed him a better view. That's just being a shit person, IMO.

you don't have to exercise to not be obese lol. weight can VERY easily be lost 100% by changing your diet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Your definition of disability sucks, badly.

If both your legs are broken are you disabled? Can you get in/out of a car and get into a store easily? Can it be fixed?

If you saw someone in double leg casts, somehow, get out of a car and into a store, would you be upset if they used the handicap spot (with a tag)?

Do you understand what a short term disability is?

you're pretty dumb if you can't grasp the difference between someone with 2 broken legs and a 400lb fat fuck.

i know it's not what his post said, but if you can't grasp what he was getting at ... yeah you're a moron.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
But no, obesity is not a disability. And in the case of the above, the women should have observed the kiddo and allowed him a better view. That's just being a shit person, IMO.

In my 35 years on this planet, I've observed that most morbidly obese people (not all!) are actually pretty shitty people. They have bad attitudes, don't care about anything, neglect everything, and are terribly abrasive even just on the phone.

So it makes sense that these ladies would be shitty people who wouldn't care if they were blocking the view of a disabled kid. It's all about them.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
In some cases, yes it can be I suppose...thyroid issues, etc., but I think that can be controlled so you don't get to the extent that those people are. Unless there are other factors that make it so they cannot be active. But in the majority of cases I'd say no, not a disability.

Thyroid problems will make you gain 10-20 pounds.

Any obese person that claims they are obese because of their thyroid is either a liar, or incredibly delusional.

My gf's thyroid doesn't work. She HAS to take medication for it. She'll put on 15 pounds, max, if she stops taking it. It'll come on quick, but that's all. She doesn't put on 30,50, or 100 pounds. Nor will anybody else.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Quite frankly I don't care about the fat fuck. My point was when they expect special treatment like free mobility scooters or blocking a disabled kids view at an event they can get told to go away because they don't deserve special treatment.

I mostly agree and feel the same way about the little fella in the wheel chair though. His mom expected everyone to automatically make way for her defective offspring but she didn't have the courage to even say anything in person, just like she didn't have the courage to have an abortion. :D

No one cares about her little meat bag-on-wheels and apparently, she only cares enough to take a quick picture and bitch about people she doesn't know.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
In my 35 years on this planet, I've observed that most morbidly obese people (not all!) are actually pretty shitty people. They have bad attitudes, don't care about anything, neglect everything, and are terribly abrasive even just on the phone.

So it makes sense that these ladies would be shitty people who wouldn't care if they were blocking the view of a disabled kid. It's all about them.

I'm no supporter of obesity, but that hasn't been my experience. Most of my family would be considered obese, and most of them are warm and gregarious folks. Maybe it's a southern thing, where obesity truly is accepted as a kind of norm and none of them feel any pressure from society at large to change their lifestyles. In other places where body image is much more to the forefront of societal concerns, maybe an obese person would feel their shortcomings in that department more acutely, making them more automatically defensive and abrasive as a cover for their personal shame.

I dunno. It's just a theory.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Obesity can be reversed.

Liver damage due to drinking - can't. Shattered leg due to skateboarding - can't. Missing face due to swimming in shark infested waters - can't. Yes, they can be prevented. But, accidents/carelessness will happen.

Total disregard for your health and well being to the point of being immobile due to eating, can be avoided AND reversed. They chose to slowly eat themselves inoperable.

I am not against giving the disabled card to people who did something to themselves - specifically when it can't be reversed.

Don't over eat. And if it is thyroid related, take your meds. There isn't much of an excuse to justify being in a wheel chair because you have a 5 to 7,000 caloric daily intake with NO physical activity.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
you're pretty dumb if you can't grasp the difference between someone with 2 broken legs and a 400lb fat fuck.

i know it's not what his post said, but if you can't grasp what he was getting at ... yeah you're a moron.

I said his definition sucks, because it does. It doesn't allow for someone with temporary disabilities to be defined as disabled.

You agree his definition sucks for the same reason I do, but I'm somehow supposed to "figure that out", even though it goes 100% against his statement.

The reasons I think his definitions sucks are the same as yours but now I'm the moron?

WTF is this shit? :confused:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I said his definition sucks, because it does. It doesn't allow for someone with temporary disabilities to be defined as disabled.

You agree his definition sucks for the same reason I do, but I'm somehow supposed to "figure that out", even though it goes 100% against his statement.

The reasons I think his definitions sucks are the same as yours but now I'm the moron?

his definition didn't specifically mention someone who has 2 broken legs, but it was implied. it only had 3 specific examples - did you really think that his definition means that ONLY people with those 3 issues are the only people considered disabled?

because you couldn't figure out what the other implications were you are a moron.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006

his definition didn't specifically mention someone who has 2 broken legs, but it was implied. it only had 3 specific examples - did you really think that his definition means that ONLY people with those 3 issues are the only people considered disabled?

because you couldn't figure out what the other implications were you are a moron.

If you are new to the Internet, allow me to explain how to debate in this medium. When one person makes any kind of statement, all you need to do is apply one of these methods to make it sound stupid. Then go on the offensive.

1. Turn someone’s generality into an absolute. For example, if someone makes a general statement that Americans celebrate Christmas, point out that some people are Jewish and so anyone who thinks that ALL Americans celebrate Christmas is stupid. (Bonus points for accusing the person of being anti-Semitic.)

2. Turn someone’s factual statements into implied preferences. For example, if someone mentions that not all Catholic priests are pedophiles, accuse the person who said it of siding with pedophiles.

3. Turn factual statements into implied equivalents. For example, if someone says that Ghandi didn’t eat cows, accuse the person of stupidly implying that cows deserve equal billing with Gandhi.

4. Omit key words. For example, if someone says that people can’t eat rocks, accuse the person of being stupid for suggesting that people can’t eat. Bonus points for arguing that some people CAN eat pebbles if they try hard enough.

5. Assume the dumbest interpretation. For example, if someone says that he can run a mile in 12 minutes, assume he means it happens underwater and argue that no one can hold his breath that long.

6. Hallucinate entirely different points. For example, if someone says apples grow on trees, accuse him of saying snakes have arms and then point out how stupid that is.

7. Use the intellectual laziness card. For example, if someone says that ice is cold, recommend that he take graduate courses in chemistry and meteorology before jumping to stupid conclusions that display a complete ignorance of the complexity of ice.

This exchange has been a case study in #5.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
making them more automatically defensive and abrasive as a cover for their personal shame.

I dunno. It's just a theory.

I think most of it's shame. Which is why there's such a movement against fat-shaming.

The problem is, it's natural and correct to feel shame when obese, just like you should feel ashamed to be an alcoholic. It's your mind telling you to get right. Fat people want society to white wash their shame so they don't feel the need to get healthier. It'll never work. The more they push, the more society will push back with more blatant shaming.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
A disability isn't something you can 'fix'.

Jesus Christ, it's the literally the fist thing he said.

You can fix broken legs, therefor not a disability under this definition. This isn't the dumbest interpretation it's a literal one. You know, the type you use for definitions.

You guys going full retard here.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Further, if a definition allows for an unintended consequence then guess what? It's a bad definition.

or the person interpreting it is a moron.

even in the line of his you just quoted, 'fix' is in quotes. i'm guessing you don't understand what that means.

and 'fixing' a broken leg really means you set it up to heal itself. you can't do anything about it other than wait for it to heal, given you have taken the proper procedures. there is no instant fix for broken bones. you have to wait and let them heal.

being a fat fuck you can 'fix' instantly by changing your diet. there is an 'instant' fix that you can start and immediately see tangible results. or if you are an even lazier fat fuck, get the surgery, that will make the pounds come off even quicker. both of these are 'fixes' to being a fatty.

so yes, moron confirmed in you.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Further, if a definition allows for an unintended consequence then guess what? It's a bad definition.

or the person interpreting it is a moron.

You're being willfully obtuse, or as some might say "a moron." A good definition doesn't require the application of common sense (because it isn't common and can't be relied on) or anything else, it stands on its own... you know, definitively.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
even in the line of his you just quoted, 'fix' is in quotes. i'm guessing you don't understand what that means.

and 'fixing' a broken leg really means you set it up to heal itself.
OK. If I'm being obtuse and a moron I'll allow for that possibility. It happens.

By his definition, the ability to resolve the issue means it's not a disability. He specifically states it has to be life long condition.
You are stuck with it for the rest of your life and all you can do is learn to live with it.

So please explain how a broken leg is a condition you have to live with the rest of your life.

Educate me.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
OK. If I'm being obtuse and a moron I'll allow for that possibility. It happens.

By his definition, the ability to resolve the issue means it's not a disability. He specifically states it has to be life long condition.

So please explain how a broken leg is a condition you have to live with the rest of your life.

Educate me.

read his first paragraph again. now make "it" in the third sentence refer to one of the 3 examples he gives in his second sentence. don't make "it" refer to the general term "disability" he refers to in his first sentence.

let me know if you need help wiping as well. i'm here for you.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
If you are new to the Internet, allow me to explain how to debate in this medium. When one person makes any kind of statement, all you need to do is apply one of these methods to make it sound stupid. Then go on the offensive.

1. Turn someone’s generality into an absolute. For example, if someone makes a general statement that Americans celebrate Christmas, point out that some people are Jewish and so anyone who thinks that ALL Americans celebrate Christmas is stupid. (Bonus points for accusing the person of being anti-Semitic.)

2. Turn someone’s factual statements into implied preferences. For example, if someone mentions that not all Catholic priests are pedophiles, accuse the person who said it of siding with pedophiles.

3. Turn factual statements into implied equivalents. For example, if someone says that Ghandi didn’t eat cows, accuse the person of stupidly implying that cows deserve equal billing with Gandhi.

4. Omit key words. For example, if someone says that people can’t eat rocks, accuse the person of being stupid for suggesting that people can’t eat. Bonus points for arguing that some people CAN eat pebbles if they try hard enough.

5. Assume the dumbest interpretation. For example, if someone says that he can run a mile in 12 minutes, assume he means it happens underwater and argue that no one can hold his breath that long.

6. Hallucinate entirely different points. For example, if someone says apples grow on trees, accuse him of saying snakes have arms and then point out how stupid that is.

7. Use the intellectual laziness card. For example, if someone says that ice is cold, recommend that he take graduate courses in chemistry and meteorology before jumping to stupid conclusions that display a complete ignorance of the complexity of ice.
This exchange has been a case study in #5.

Perhaps you should take some graduate courses in general psychology and personality disorders before you jump to stupid conclusions that display a complete ignorance of the complexity of internet arguments.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Disabled people are disabled.

Able people are able.

You can be obese and disabled.
You can be obese and able.

I am obese according to BMI type measurements, but, I am not disabled at all.
My fiancee's friend had thyroid problems, and blew up to like 500 pounds, and was on oxygen. She was obese and disabled.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
A disability isn't something you can 'fix'. Nobody can regrow a leg, fix a mental deficiency, or fully repair a ruined joint. You are stuck with it for the rest of your life and all you can do is learn to live with it.

Obesity however is something you can 'fix'. It's 100% curable. You simply eat less calories than your body needs on a daily basis. It sucks, it's terribly annoying and it requires you to exercise self control (which is nearly impossible for most americans). However, if you are fat and not disabled, it is only because you lack the fortitude to do something about it.

holly fuck.

yes you can "fix" a disability. just becuase you go on to list things you think are not fixable you are not exactly right. just because you lose a leg does not make you "disabled"

you are taking a very narrow view of "disabled" one not rooted in reality.

you can be temporally disabled. you can be fully disabled but get better with surgery, PT, etc.

disabled is not just a life long condition or something that can not be "fixed"

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
My fiancee's friend had thyroid problems, and blew up to like 500 pounds, and was on oxygen. She was obese and disabled.

So if she had a thyroid problem, and she blew up to 500, that means she was like maybe 475-490 prior to the thyroid problem.

if she told you she got fat because of her thyroid, she's lying to you.

More than likely her thyroid is messed up because she's 500 pounds.