Is anyone here a christian?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: MBrown
If you are serious, then accessories you don't need. The only things you need is to accept Jesus Christ as you lord and savior. Now just saying that you do doesn't cut it. It has to be deep within. God knows weather you are serious or not. You can't fool him. You have to love God. Now if you are weary of just accepting Jesus Christ as your savior then try this. Assuming your atheist. Just pick up the Bible and start reading it. You will find many answers. Also go to a church. Talk to a pastor. This is not an easy decision to make. It took me some time.

God has given us some proof of existence. The Bible (the reason why I reference the Bible is because it is Gods word) says that but just look at the mountains the oceans and just life in general is proof. On a nice day hike up a mountain. When you reach the top look at the beauty of it all and just suck it in. Just think to yourself when you look out over this beautiful landscape, can this all could have been started but just a big bang? Life working in perfect harmony. The very complexity of life is evidence that there is a God. The water evaporates from the lakes and seas and turn into clouds, and eventually calls back down to earth to provide nourishment for life below. This cycle repeats itself and does need any help from any human on earth. It is perfect and is only something that could have been created by a genius...who is God. look at an anatomy of a human being and look at the complexity of it. Something that complex has to have been created. Look at the anatomy of any other animal. The same thing applies.

My pastor says this...if you believe that there no God and that we were just by random chance and when we die we just die and not go anywhere after, then there is no value to life at all. You can see it in people who don't believe. If there is no value to life then you might as well just kill yourself or do anything you want to do. If you at least believe that there is a God then you realize that there is at least somebody out there that loves you and created you for a purpose which means that there is value to life. There is a lot more to this. Unfortunately I don't have much time to elaborate because I have to go to class (I don't even remember what class I have LOL I think its Electronics 1).

Let me just close by saying this. The reason Christianity is different from any other claimed religion out there is this; Christianity is the only religion out there with a live savior and living God. (there are probably some typos in this but I don't feel like proof reading lol)

Sorry, but the last time I checked, the savior was dead, in the physical sense. You will need a bigger branch, than air, to hold on to. And...if he, God, Savior lives, then, what has he done for me lately?

Jesus rose from the dead. He left his tomb. He let a few people see him and he ascended to back to heaven.

He is in the background watching over everyone. Maybe something good in your life has happened recently that was sort of a suprise, like a raise or something. Or you thought something bad was going to happen but it didn't. I don't know. But he is there watching. But if you are not going to believe in him and continue to denie him then obviously he isn't going to give you what you always want all the time. Its like air.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DVK916
You still suffer from delusions. You believe in a being, which can't be seen, can't be heard, and has no more proof for his existance than flying spagetti monsters. Your like an adult who believes in the tooth fairy.

I can't see you. I can't hear you. I also have no idea if you're not a poorly programmed spam bot (which removes any ability to use the fact that your posts prove your existence). Therefore you as a person don't exist because there's no valid points to prove it.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by: HotChic
Christians have a tendency to be self-righteous and beat people over the head with a holier-than-thou attitude. Holier-than-thou could not be further from the truth. The very place you start is a humbling place: coming to terms with the fact that you aren't perfect and that's a problem you can't ignore. The place you end up is humbling as well: you can't reach your goals alone because you by yourself don't have the ability to overcome your tendency towards wrongdoing. Any Christian that acts uppity about how "good" they are is failing in a crucial point in their faith.

It is unfortunate that in the present day the word "Christian" has been polluted to such a degree. Many tend to group Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and the like into the same category as Christians. A true Christian striving to live a Christ-like life will not have a pompous, arrogant personality that many associate Christianity with. Christians are no better than anyone else on the earth, just different. We still have the same sinful flesh that plagues humanity as a whole, something that will not disappear until the calling away. The only thing that sets Christians apart from the rest of the world is the saving grace of Jesus Christ, nothing else.

The religious lunatics that blow up abortion clinics and commit similar atrocities are using Christianity as a tool to further their own agenda. Because although abortion (and similar enormities) is thoroughly profligate in nature, the Bible says:

Romans 12:19

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

There are also certain sects of Christianity, such as the Mennonites, which tend to believe that their extremely strict, and very often misinterpreted, view of the Scriptures makes them more righteous than even other Christians. They do not understand the freedom that is given to them through Christ, and instead place themselves under a stringent "code of conduct" (the Old-Testament Law) in which the actions and appearance mean more than the heart. Believe me, I've had personal experience.

Galatians 3:24-25

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

I surely hope you grasp the substance of my post. This colloquy (yes I know what that means ;)) was not intended as an imprecation of your words, rather a clarification of a very often misconstrued subject matter.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Romans 3:23
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Admit that you are a sinner.

Romans 6:23a
"...The wages of sin is death..."

Sin has an ending. It results in death. We all face physical death, which is a result of sin.
But a worse death is spiritual death that alienates us from God, and will last for all eternity.
The Bible does plainly teach that there is a place called the Lake of Fire where lost people will be in torment forever.
It is the place where people end up that remain spiritually dead.
Understand that the penalty for sin is physical and spiritual death.

Romans 6:23b
"...But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Salvation is a free gift from God to you! We can't earn this gift, but we must reach out and receive it. Again, everyone has sinned, an evil thought is a sin, not being perfect is a sin, perfection is the only way to attain salvation without this free gift.

Romans 5:8
"God demonstrates His own love for us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!"

Jesus paid the penalty for our sins by sacrificing himself although blameless for our sins.

Romans 10:13
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved!"

Ask Jesus to be your Savior from the penalty of sin

Romans 10:9,10
"...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."

Confess that you are a sinner in need of salvation to God

OP, I hope this helps and gives you a synopsis of the core belief of Christianity. You don't need to do anything else other than accepting this free gift (grace) through faith in Jesus as your Savior. That is the fundamental belief of Christianity. Hope that helps.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I'm a Christian and proud of it. Go to team-wwa.com if you want to talk to a group of great, friendly Christians about this.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001

You forgot the most important part, suffer from mental delusions. Speaking to beings which don't exist (i.e god).

You know, throughout the repeated unprovoked attacks on religion that you've posted, I haven't retaliated. You need to learn that people have different beliefs, and have throughout all of history, and it would serve you very well in life to learn, if not to respect others, at least to hold your peace sometimes. I posted a direct response to a direct question, and your insult was uncalled for right now. Save it for a thread where flamewar was the intent, like the ones you start. In a thread like this, that type of comment is trolling.

HC, I can take care of this issue real easily. DVK916, Fvck you! God will forgive me from that, but you, sir are a trolling little a-hole.

Take that, you Davisite, box brained mongerel. You douche bags who attend UC Davis, on your student loans, your daddy's money, or by grace of your athieism, aka (government grants), are a disgrace to the planet. The next time you hear a loud pop, it will not be your birkenstock, stepping on a pop rock, you Volvos driving POS's.

Thanks for "taking care of this" for me. The only thing you missed is that I'm a UC Davis grad too. ;)

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000

You forgot the most important part, suffer from mental delusions. Speaking to beings which don't exist (i.e god).

You know, throughout the repeated unprovoked attacks on religion that you've posted, I haven't retaliated. You need to learn that people have different beliefs, and have throughout all of history, and it would serve you very well in life to learn, if not to respect others, at least to hold your peace sometimes. I posted a direct response to a direct question, and your insult was uncalled for right now. Save it for a thread where flamewar was the intent, like the ones you start. In a thread like this, that type of comment is trolling.

HC, I can take care of this issue real easily. DVK916, Fvck you! God will forgive me from that, but you, sir are a trolling little a-hole.

Take that, you Davisite, box brained mongerel. You douche bags who attend UC Davis, on your student loans, your daddy's money, or by grace of your athieism, aka (government grants), are a disgrace to the planet. The next time you hear a loud pop, it will not be your birkenstock, stepping on a pop rock, you Volvos driving POS's.

Thanks for "taking care of this" for me. The only thing you missed is that I'm a UC Davis grad too. ;)

Hahaha nice ;)

And I agree with you HC, more people need to be free thinkers :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Was it Nietsche who said "the last Christian died on the cross?"

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Muse

If it was, he was a loser. Go look up the definition of 'Christian' and then tell me that comment makes sense.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Fraggable
Originally posted by: Muse

If it was, he was a loser. Go look up the definition of 'Christian' and then tell me that comment makes sense.

The point Nietzsche was trying to say although I disagree, was that the only true follower of Christ is Christ himself (because the only person who could really follow a person is that individual person). He believes G-d is dead, that religion (namely Christianity) has served its purpose and is now a crux. Something to that effect.

By the way Nietzsche was a minister(missionary) son, father died, mother was very conservative. He had a bad experience with Christianity. And for all of his falluting of his idea of how morals don't apply and that you can do your own thing if you have control of yourself, he couldn't even live up to. He died crazy and alone of syphillis probably from sleeping with too many prostitutes. Brilliant man though although I believe his views were flawed and very influenced by his childhood.

Muse, which Nietzsche book is that from. I have read through "Twilight of the Idols", and have read excerpts of some of his other work, but I want to read "The AntiChrist" (very caustic critique of Christianity and somethign that may be invaluable to learn from). I hate that I don't have time to read this stuff anymore. <sigh>

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: angminas
This is a false position and it really bothers me. All an atheist says is the following:

It may be all YOU say, but it's not all "an atheist" says. I've read lots of atheist comments mocking and deriding anyone who even considers the possibility of the existence of any kind of being greater than ourselves. Your statement about cell senescence above is an example. Honestly, this is a thread about Christianity, and nobody asked you to tell us that we're all wet. As if we're going to go burn our Bibles because you linked Wikipedia. What were you hoping to accomplish?

Do you think that all atheists say and believe the same things? Do you think you're the judge of who is and is not an atheist? Or agnostic, or any other ism? Do you know the meaning of the word agnostic? I'm going to assume you didn't mean to tell people how they're allowed to think...but if that's true, you might consider cooling down before posting in this thread again.

And I've read PLENTY of christians mocking and deriding anyone who thinks there isn't a christian god watching them all the time. I think I'm giving you a definition that is based on the fact that an atheist does not believe there is a god, and an agnostic refuses to make a decision. Just like all the christians don't need the pope to tell them what is a christian. And I didn't tell anyone that they had to agree with me. My post was cool and objective, just of an opinion different than your own. This is a thread to discuss religion. I have never started a conversation with anyone to tell them that they should not be christian.

And I'd like to point out that you jumped to the defensive very quickly. I simply laid out my view and the reasons why I held that view. I hope you are not insecure in your faith and cannot handle a different opinion -- which is all I really stated.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
This is not a thread about religion- it's a thread about Christianity, aimed specifically at Christians. Did you read the topic and the rest of the discussion? If you're not out hunting for a thread to crap on and you're not a Christian, why would you read this thread, and why would you respond to it? Besides, your link was not about religion, it was about microbiology. If you want to talk about how Wikipedia proves there is no God, there's a button near the top middle of your screen labeled "new topic". It has a little orange envelope on it. (Not that I expect this response to have any effect on you, but perhaps someone else will decide not to follow your lead.)

Now, a bit more on topic...

I forgot another of the important verses in 1John. This is chapter 2, verse 6:

"He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked."

I've heard a lot of people in a lot of places say that they can be passive or non-active Christians, or they can be a Christian without attending church or reading the Bible, or they just have to think or believe something and everything will be fine. Jesus went to church, read the Bible, lived a righteous life pleasing to God, prayed regularly and fervently, and showed a good example to others. One should not call oneself by His name but not walk just as he walked. There are many, many other verses and chapters that say very similar things, and I can dig some up if anyone shows interest. Remember that the Bible is 1,000 pages long for a reason. If obeying, understanding, and loving God were as simple as many say, most of the Bible would be just minor fluff. This is not the case, though, as we see in 2Timothy 3:16-17:

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

This was written before the New Testament existed!

kamikaze27

Jan 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Laughingman12
I want to be convert to christian because of my beliefs. But reason Is I don't know how to, my mom wants me to go to church and receive the hearing of god. where can I find christian stores that sells accesories?

You need to speak to real people to discuss things like that. People you trust. You cannot trust ATOT fellas with real lifechanging milestones like this.