Is anyone here a christian?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: DAGTA
The only thing it takes to be a Christian is belief in Jesus Christ and God and acceptance of the gift of salvation.

that's false, also. the zealous paul even said "i have stumbled many times" and taking that with jesus' statement of "man can not live on bread alone..." it's apparent that regular ingestion of "spiritual food" is necessary. simply taking an "oath" and eating a cracker won't cut it. ritualistic worship is far too commonplace in today's christianity. while the sentiment is essential, it's harly the end all be all of "christian duties".

christian = christ like. not put on your suit once a week and nod off while some jerk tells you what types are going to hell (also a false teaching).

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Church/accessories (accessories are definitely pointless) are not the point of Christianity. Complete faith and a good relationship with God are the real points. Church just helps reinforce these two points.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Christianity is a cult. Have you considered just buying a Wii and worshiping it?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Christianity is a cult. Have you considered just buying a Wii and worshiping it?

Anybody just feel that? Looks like someone set off an a-bomb in this thread.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

Anybody just feel that? Looks like someone set off an a-bomb in this thread.

:laugh:

The OP was an obvious troll. I think this is a pretty funny response.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006

Yes, i've thought of this whole cultish idea about Christianity (I was brought up Christian, but I really have no idea at this point as far as my religion goes), and it's hard to say. It's really just a religion with faith in a higher power; a creator. It makes sense, but it is a strange following at some points.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Laughingman12
where can I find christian stores that sells accesories?
There was a thread a couple days ago about a Christian sex shop. Maybe you can find some answers there?

deepred98

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Spacehead
where can I find christian stores that sells accesories?
There was a thread a couple days ago about a Christian sex shop. Maybe you can find some answers there?

:Q did they have cross dildos :Q

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: slurmsmackenzie
The only thing it takes to be a Christian is belief in Jesus Christ and God and acceptance of the gift of salvation.

that's false, also. the zealous paul even said "i have stumbled many times" and taking that with jesus' statement of "man can not live on bread alone..." it's apparent that regular ingestion of "spiritual food" is necessary. simply taking an "oath" and eating a cracker won't cut it. ritualistic worship is far too commonplace in today's christianity. while the sentiment is essential, it's harly the end all be all of "christian duties".

christian = christ like. not put on your suit once a week and nod off while some jerk tells you what types are going to hell (also a false teaching).

What do you mean false? Basically, he is right, while it is good to receive communion, its not imperative. What Jesus really intended it for, is a reminder of his sacrifice so that we may inherit the kingdom of heaven. But I agree with the rest of your philosophy.
Being a good Christian means recognizing you are no different than anybody else, all will receive God's grace, but these guidelines are set down to help you lead a good life.

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: slurmsmackenzie

What do you mean false? Basically, he is right, while it is good to receive communion, its not imperative. What Jesus really intended it for, is a reminder of his sacrifice so that we may inherit the kingdom of heaven. But I agree with the rest of your philosophy.
Being a good Christian means recognizing you are no different than anybody else, all will receive God's grace, but these guidelines are set down to help you lead a good life.

think of religion like boot camp. think of the current system (the state of earth and the incapable ruling of men) like a war zone. just like a soldier needs to be prepare for the things he'll face in battle, so too a christian needs spiritual preparation because satan "is a roaring lion, seeking to devour anyone". to quote kyser soze "the greatest trick the devil ever pulled is convincing the world he doesn't exist".

jesus spoke of the end times and people having "a lack of natural affection". clearly outside stimuli can be so abundant as to change a person's demeanor completely. the wrong choices can have desasterous effects. and like the frog in the frying pan the single changes are so small that one won't even notice it.

think of your fat dad (anyone's fat dad, really). you don't notice how fat he is cuz he put the weight on daily, but uncle joe, who's hasn't been around in awhile noticed a stark diffence in dad's fat ass.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I want to be convert to christian because of my beliefs. But reason Is I don't know how to, my mom wants me to go to church and receive the hearing of god. where can I find christian stores that sells accesories?

Seriously, WTF? :confused:

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
I seriously have to wonder who types these kinds of threads. If anyone remembers the "my CPU is cold with solution" thread, you will remember the distinct style of writing that came with it. This thread is the same thing, the broken English and incoherent sentences are all alike. They're so funny because they are on the verge of being legitimate in stupidity content, yet at the same time they seem somewhat artificial and thought out.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Not sure if it's a parody or not, but why don't you start with reading the Bible? Perhaps start with the New Testament, maybe the book of Romans.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
What kind of Christianity do you want to convert to?

Just don't tell DVK916 know, he hates religious people.

Edit:
Missed the part about wanting to buy accessories. You don't need anything but faith (and possibly good works, depending on who you talk to and what you read) when it comes to religion.

Or StatsManD, because he sees a "disease that theist suffer from"...:disgust:

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
I want to be convert to christian because of my beliefs. But reason Is I don't know how to, my mom wants me to go to church and receive the hearing of god. where can I find christian stores that sells accesories?

LOL... Laughingman, you just made me laugh, man.

Dutchmaster420

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2004
start with the bible...go to audiobible.com for now if you dont have one

you can read along as you hear it

pray, and ask him to forgive you for your sins and praise him

start with either luke or mattew in the new testament

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I don't know if you're serious or not, but I'll answer as though you were.

What does it mean to be Christian?
1. Acknowledging that you've screwed up at some points in your life, just like everybody has. You may not be the best or worst of humanity, but if you look at yourself honestly, you know that you're not perfect.
2. Realizing that those screw ups (sin) have a direct correlation to death. People die because people sin.
3. Desiring to be free of your personal history of sin and the natural consequences, and desiring to live a better life.
4. Understanding that the one person who lived a sinless life is Jesus Christ, able to be sinless only because his nature was both human and God at once, and that by his own free will he chose to die in your place, taking the consequences of your actions long before you were born, for no other reason than love for you as an individual.
5. Choosing to trade in your old life, with all the sin and self-interested decisions, and trade it for a new one. Your new life is something where you consciously decide to pursue a life of real integrity with God's help (since that level of integrity is something no person could accomplish alone)
6. Sitting down and having a conversation with God about all of this and asking him to be a part of it all.

You don't need trinkets, you don't need to worship in a particular way, you don't need to suddenly become missionary extrodinaire - lots of those things are external trappings that have been added as part of a religion. The core of being a Christian though, is what I've spelled out above. You'll find that it's common across all Christian denominations, phrased in different ways.

Christians have a tendency to be self-righteous and beat people over the head with a holier-than-thou attitude. Holier-than-thou could not be further from the truth. The very place you start is a humbling place: coming to terms with the fact that you aren't perfect and that's a problem you can't ignore. The place you end up is humbling as well: you can't reach your goals alone because you by yourself don't have the ability to overcome your tendency towards wrongdoing. Any Christian that acts uppity about how "good" they are is failing in a crucial point in their faith.