Is Al Franken going win in Minnesota???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Is Al coming across as a serious candidate?

What is going on in the cold north?

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, then you'd have to be insane to vote for a Republican.

Franken is about 10 times smarter than Jesse Ventura, and at least twice as funny. Coleman has figured out too late that he needs to be more of a centrist. His voting record and Franken's loveable personality are killing him. Franken will win in the Democratic landslide. ;)

It's too soon to speculate on 2010, John. By then we will all be wearing Rudy the Red berets and singing "Faithful to Fidel", right?

-Robert

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: smack Down
Don't bash the OP to much I think he just came to the conclusion that the democrats are going to have 60+ seats until 2012.

And probably more after that...

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999

1. I changed my mind about the Obama lawsuit once I learned there was a birth announcement in the local paper.

Good to hear...that was a pretty bizarre case to take seriously...

2. I don't question a comedian being elected, I was asking how the race is going and how it is being run.

Actually, you did question it...
"I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???"

3. Reagan was a national figure for years before becoming governor.

National figure? Not politically (though his acting gave him national exposure).

4. If Palin is an idiot then we should only elect idiots to office because she is the MOST popular governor in the country!!! Number 1!!! Last year she had an 89% approval rating, almost 10 points higher than second place. (The guy she replaced had a 29% rating)

I guess that means you think that popularity equals effectiveness...
She is very popular:
a. In a state that represented only 241k total votes in 2004
b. A state where she was a beauty queen and men outnumber women 11 to 1
c. As you say, a state where she replaced a guy whose rating was as low as Bush's (so she was greeted with a sigh of relief by comparison)
d. A state that isn't exactly known for it's educational institutions or cultural diversity

5. The 2000 recounts violated the 14th amendment. The Supreme Court ruled 7-2 on this issue, it wasn't even close.

Because the recounts had been modified as a direct result of Harris and the GOP. What the Supreme Court decision said was that because the recounts were being done in different manors in different precincts that the practise violated the 14th Amendment.
Gore had the option to suggest a total recount using a single practise, but he decided against it as there was fear the country was already harmed enough.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: T2T III
Minnesota loves to cling to the "new and trendy" stuff. Sadly, they are years behind the wave of the rest of the country. Keep in mind, they also voted for "Jesse" and got him into office. Additionally, when your brain is literally frozen for half the year due to the climate, you tend to behave abnormally.

What is this "wave" of the rest of the country?

Oh, you must mean kicking out incompetent Republicans; Minnesota is right in step with that "New and Trendy" wave, thank you very much.

Face it, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Worse, you don't let that fact get in the way of making an ass out of yourself.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: feralkid

Oh, you must mean kicking out incompetent Republicans; Minnesota is right in step with that "New and Trendy" wave, thank you very much.

Sadly, I had to live in that state for 18 years. They love to buy into the news of "new and improved" probably more than any other state.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Is Al coming across as a serious candidate?

What is going on in the cold north?

Well you're voting for McCain, didn't experience teach you anything?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

but :( at same time

rose.gif

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Originally posted by: T2T III
Originally posted by: feralkid

Sadly, I had to live in that state for 18 years. They love to buy into the news of "new and improved" probably more than any other state.

Hm, you're new to these boards.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Viditor
3. Reagan was a national figure for years before becoming governor.

National figure? Not politically (though his acting gave him national exposure).
[/quote]
Not true.

In 1964 Reagan gave a speech for Goldwater that essentially launched his political career. Prior to that Reagan had worked for GE and toured the country giving speeches that often strayed into politics.
The television program was broadcast every Sunday evening at 9:00pm, EST, beginning February 1, 1953 and ending May 27, 1962. Each of the 200 television episodes was an adaptation of a novel, short story, play, film or magazine fiction.

Ronald Reagan became the show's only host on September 26, 1954. GE added a host to provide continuity, which was absent due to its anthology format. After four months, the show reached the Top Ten in the Nielsen Ratings. It also regularly outrated I Love Lucy in the 9:00-9:30pm time slot.

The show made Reagan wealthy and famous: wealthy, due to his part ownership of the show, and famous, due not only to its ratings, but to his constant touring to promote the show. After eight years as host, Reagan estimated he had visited 135 GE research and manufacturing facilities, and met over a quarter-million people. During that time he would also speak at other forums such as Rotary clubs and Moose lodges, presenting views on economic progress that in form and content were often similar to what he said in introductions, segues and closing comments on the show as a spokesman for GE.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
If you're going to criticize a man running for office do so on his policies and whether or not you think he's competent to do the job.

Criticizing him because he was once an actor, comedian, or associated with Hollywood is stupid.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The guy wrote a book called "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot" and you wonder why some people don't take him seriously as a candidate?

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The guy wrote a book called "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot" and you wonder why some people don't take him seriously as a candidate?

Half the nation sees nothing wrong with that statement. I am one of them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

and....

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
If you're going to criticize a man running for office do so on his policies and whether or not you think he's competent to do the job.

Criticizing him because he was once an actor, comedian, or associated with Hollywood is stupid.

Why? I think little of Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican. I can't take him seriously - so, I should be allowed to thing what I do about Al Franken.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I've met both of them, and they're as dumb as Rush. :laugh:

Intelligent people would take him MORE seriously for the truth in his title. :thumbsup: :cool:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
And Norm Coleman supported GWB and tried to save an obviously brain dead Terri Schiavo, its not too hard to see why a great number of people will not vote for Coleman.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Coleman is a standard lying sneaky politician. Franken is an idiot.

What a choice us Minnesotans have this year =/

I don't get the talk about us liking new and trendy stuff either - if anything I find it to be the opposite - we don't care what people think or what's new and trendy.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Auryg
Coleman is a standard lying sneaky politician. Franken is an idiot.

What a choice us Minnesotans have this year =/
Lots of people I know feel the same way. The only ones who like either are the hardcore party supporters. I will probably just vote for Dean Barkley in protest I am hoping lots of other people do also.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Franken may take the overly silly approach to commentary, but that doesn't mean he isn't sometimes insightful. I can see why his books would piss off conservatives, but underneath the humor there is often a point worth making. "Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat Idiot" might not be the title serious commentary would usually hold, but he IS right about Rush, and does a lot to make his case in his book. In his (also humorously presented) book, "The Truth", he presented the facts behind the Swift Boat Vets attack on Kerry's military service in a far more accurate and truthful manner than the "serious" book "Unfit For Command" written by the Swift Boat Vets.

Ultimately I think Franken has a little too much of a temper to last in politics unless he can get that under control, but dismissing him because he doesn't use the same pompous approach that most political insiders use when commenting on the issues is just silly.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Something else everyone should think of here...
Coleman is the very epitamy of what a flip-flop is!
Coleman is a former Democrat who co-chaired President Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign in Minnesota, and voted with President Bush 98 percent of the time (according to ratings by Congressional Quarterly).

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Viditor
Something else everyone should think of here...
Coleman is the very epitamy of what a flip-flop is!
Coleman is a former Democrat who co-chaired President Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign in Minnesota, and voted with President Bush 98 percent of the time (according to ratings by Congressional Quarterly).

Wow. And he still has a chance to win? What's up with the people of Minnesota?

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
Reagan was also governor of California from 1967?1975. Be fair to the man.

A job he got with exactly the same experience Franken has.
Actually Reagan was the President of the actors guild for years.

Franken has NO experience of value. Doesn't mean he will be a total failure though, but to compare him to Reagan is a little off.

Glad to see Prof John is a Union supporter!:thumbsup:

Open-minded for a Rebub.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled
Originally posted by: techs
Reagan was also governor of California from 1967?1975. Be fair to the man.

A job he got with exactly the same experience Franken has.
Actually Reagan was the President of the actors guild for years.

Franken has NO experience of value. Doesn't mean he will be a total failure though, but to compare him to Reagan is a little off.

Glad to see Prof John is a Union supporter!:thumbsup:

Open-minded for a Rebub.

And, how is support for a union being open-minded? To me, that's got to be about the most close-minded opinion for anyone to have (supporting a union). What do unions do nowadays? Do they provide much benefit and support for their members?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Ummm I am NOT a big union supporter, thank you.

I have been in several during my life and I have mixed feelings about them. Unions suck to much out of a business in many cases. They are run by people who are more worried about getting due than anything else, it is like a protection racket.

Also, I think the card check bill being sought by the unions would be an epic disaster, if it passes legal checks. Corner a few people in parking lots and bug them to sign a piece of paper to support workers right and next thing you know a union is in place without any one actually voting on it.
Imagine if we didn't have election day and instead had groups like ACORN going around collecting as many votes as they could get, same idea.