• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Is Al Franken going win in Minnesota???

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
18,251
5
0
My point about Reagan and the union is that he was involved in politics for many years before he ran for office. He was a national figure and in a serious way compared to Franken who has made a joke out of most of this.
 

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
10,449
4
81
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Is Al coming across as a serious candidate?

What is going on in the cold north?
Jesse Ventura was a very popular and successful governor. So maybe they did learn a lesson that a celeb can be a good politician.
 

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
10,246
2
0
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's a wave election.

find something to grab on to -- I hear clinging to guns works well.
I am clinging to the idea that the Dems are going to go so far left that the Republicans rebound big time in 2010.

Remember that congress's approval rating is so low that even Bush looks good compared to them.
Not with your parties calls to go super far right :laugh:
 

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
2,489
0
76
I'm from Minnesota. I don't think Coleman has done a bad job, but I don't think he's done anything remarkable either and he's been at it for a long time, at least 12 years, possible more. So people are looking for some new blood to shake things up and maybe something good, notable will actually happen. Plus 60% of the population of Minnesota is on the blue side of things so yeah. I've gotten sick of ads from both sides, but I think much like the national election Norm has been playing dirtier than Al, but they have both settled down at this point. Minnesota is pretty progressive place, hence why we have some of the best medical care, overall health, schools, etc in the country. It's kind of like all the perks of NY or Chicago, minus most of the bad stuff and then scaled down by half.
 

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
20,984
2
0
At the end of the day, all of this thread is so much mental masturbation, unless you are registered to vote in Minnesota, we are all going to have to let Minnesota voters decide this question.

No matter what the voters of Minnesota decide, some of us will be disappointed.
 
Feb 10, 2000
30,029
66
91
I am a lifelong Democrat and may well end up voting for Coleman. He's quite a Mitt Romney-style political whore and goes whichever way the wind is blowing, but he has been a centrist and reasonably effective as a senator. If anything he will likely be even more centrist under an Obama administration. I see no reason to believe Al Franken would be effective as a senator and plenty of reasons to believe he wouldn't, so I am leaning toward Coleman.

PJ, your defenses of Palin are a joke. Alaska is a very small state and it is, because of its geography, uniquely parochial among American states (and I have lived there and speak from some experience). That isn't to imply - at all - that people in Alaska aren't bright, but they're fiercely independent and I gather they find her simplicity appealing. Meanwhile, I have never seen anything in her that would make be even remotely confident that she could effectively serve as President.
 

OokiiNeko

Senior member
Jun 14, 2003
508
0
0
Fair and balanced.

Years ago Franken was on a special Washington DC Jeopardy with Pat Schroeder.
He actually did very well and even jokingly commented to Pat after getting a question she missed,"One of us has been in Congress for the past X years."

On the flip side, the last book I read of his, maybe Lies and the Lying Liars, was very poorly done. He fumbled as a political commentator at an important time in American politics.

Didn`t Ventura do any good while governor? Did the Minnesota congress just freeze him out? He seems like the straight talk guy so many people seem to want.

:)
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The guy wrote a book called "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot" and you wonder why some people don't take him seriously as a candidate?
Yeah, I see what you mean. He's a wimp. It should have been "Rush Limbaugh is a detritus spewing, gaping asshole".
 

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
33,854
957
126
I'll say this for him, he has the clearest, most well layed-out site when it comes to his positions that I've ever seen from a candidate. Link

At least it's easy to see where he says he stands. What he's actually do in the senate is anyone's guess. I think I'd rather vote in someone who really believes what he's saying than someone who is just a show piece.
 
Oct 30, 2004
11,429
20
81
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I'll say this for him, he has the clearest, most well layed-out site when it comes to his positions that I've ever seen from a candidate.
I agree; that is a nice looking website.
 

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
21,503
8
0
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I'll say this for him, he has the clearest, most well layed-out site when it comes to his positions that I've ever seen from a candidate.
I agree; that is a nice looking website.
Yep but most voters don;t vote for real values and/or ability. They vote for name or the one the least dirt stuck too.

I think Coleman will not get 50%+ votes but a lot of voters will split their votes between Franken and the 3rd party and Coleman will have a default win with 3X-4X% of the vote
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,063
495
126
We like to elect celebrities. We are still a small town state who gets ohhed and awed by the celbrity status of people.

I thought Wellstone was bad enough but Franken? The guy is a bitter far left winged bomb thrower. It would be like electing Sean Hannity to senate for your state. We get what we ask for though. One of the highest taxed states in the country and Business cant wait to flee from here either. NWA\Delt HQ going to Atlanta, big surprise. I posted a thread a month ago about an amendment that will add a state sales tax to pay for wildlife and other stuff. 59% of the people polled said they would vote for it without having the first clue what it was about. Only 10% knew what the amendment actually contained.
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,063
495
126
Originally posted by: Stiganator
I'm from Minnesota. I don't think Coleman has done a bad job, but I don't think he's done anything remarkable either and he's been at it for a long time, at least 12 years, possible more. So people are looking for some new blood to shake things up and maybe something good, notable will actually happen. Plus 60% of the population of Minnesota is on the blue side of things so yeah. I've gotten sick of ads from both sides, but I think much like the national election Norm has been playing dirtier than Al, but they have both settled down at this point. Minnesota is pretty progressive place, hence why we have some of the best medical care, overall health, schools, etc in the country. It's kind of like all the perks of NY or Chicago, minus most of the bad stuff and then scaled down by half.
Coleman is in his first term as senator. He was elected in 2002, replacing Wellstones seat.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: Genx87
We like to elect celebrities. We are still a small town state who gets ohhed and awed by the celbrity status of people.

I thought Wellstone was bad enough but Franken? The guy is a bitter far left winged bomb thrower. It would be like electing Sean Hannity to senate for your state. We get what we ask for though. One of the highest taxed states in the country and Business cant wait to flee from here either. NWA\Delt HQ going to Atlanta, big surprise. I posted a thread a month ago about an amendment that will add a state sales tax to pay for wildlife and other stuff. 59% of the people polled said they would vote for it without having the first clue what it was about. Only 10% knew what the amendment actually contained.
Is this factually true? I thought delta hq has always been in the dreaded atlanta.
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,063
495
126
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: Genx87
We like to elect celebrities. We are still a small town state who gets ohhed and awed by the celbrity status of people.

I thought Wellstone was bad enough but Franken? The guy is a bitter far left winged bomb thrower. It would be like electing Sean Hannity to senate for your state. We get what we ask for though. One of the highest taxed states in the country and Business cant wait to flee from here either. NWA\Delt HQ going to Atlanta, big surprise. I posted a thread a month ago about an amendment that will add a state sales tax to pay for wildlife and other stuff. 59% of the people polled said they would vote for it without having the first clue what it was about. Only 10% knew what the amendment actually contained.
Is this factually true? I thought delta hq has always been in the dreaded atlanta.
Yes Delta has always been in Atlanta however with the Merger they could have picked either state as NWA's HQ is in MN. They are going to Atlanta if this deal gets done and it isnt a surprise.
 

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
2,050
0
0
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Is Al coming across as a serious candidate?

What is going on in the cold north?
Hypocrites... Two GOP names for ya:

1) Rockin' Ronnie Reagan; and
2) The Terminator

You seriously wanna make a case over Franken?

 

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
1,118
0
0
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
So, PJ - what's your issue with Al Franken, other than the Stuart Smalley film......
As I asked in the OP. Is he coming across as a serious politician??

Or is he running some type of outsider joke campaign or something. I am in Florida and have no clue what is going on up there.

That is why I made this thread.

They are going to send a second rate SNL actor to congress??? What's next? Cooter from Dukes of Hazard? :)
They did make an actor president once.....
 

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
2,489
0
76
Ah right you are. I met him in 2002, I thought he had been around for a while, but looks like he had just started.
 

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
15,628
5
81
Just an FYI for everyone in the thread, Franken wrote a book a few years ago called, Why Not Me?, a fictional autobiographical account of him running for the presidency. I guess the U.S. Senate is just another step on the way up!

Franken in 2016? :laugh:
 

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
42,816
83
91
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Just an FYI for everyone in the thread, Franken wrote a book a few years ago called, Why Not Me?, a fictional autobiographical account of him running for the presidency. I guess the U.S. Senate is just another step on the way up!

Franken in 2016? :laugh:
I think I just died a little inside.
 

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
26,907
173
106
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The guy wrote a book called "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot" and you wonder why some people don't take him seriously as a candidate?
and....
And.... it makes him sound like some kind of Anne Coulter of the left?

Aren't her books titled similarly?

Fern
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY