Is Al Franken going win in Minnesota???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'll just address one of your silly points as an example.

Originally posted by: ProfJohn

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Your own words speak for themselves. You were clearly acting like Franken wasn't qualified because he was a comedian.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Is Al coming across as a serious candidate?

What is going on in the cold north?

coleman wasn't particularly popular, and ran a pretty negative campaign for a while, mainly targeting the snl stuff, while franken has had a much more positive message, and been a bit more on topic.

I still haven't seen a "i'm coleman and this is why you should vote for me" type ad, instead its almost like a referendum on franken, which is odd since he's not an incumbent.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Reagan was also governor of California from 1967?1975. Be fair to the man.

A job he got with exactly the same experience Franken has.
Actually Reagan was the President of the actors guild for years.

Franken has NO experience of value. Doesn't mean he will be a total failure though, but to compare him to Reagan is a little off.

Your forgetting that joke called Air America...lol.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: manowar821
You're a bad joke. Franken is fine.

Franken is a doucebag right up there with garofalo, two sucky no talent "comedians" who insisted they had some kind of political insight or prowess... his even being a real contender is simply scary....stuart smalley sucked back then and still sucks now.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: bozack

Franken is a doucebag right up there with garofalo, two sucky no talent "comedians" who insisted they had some kind of political insight or prowess... his even being a real contender is simply scary....stuart smalley sucked back then and still sucks now.

and, what makes Franken a "doucebag" in his opinions that you find objectionable?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets see, PJ, GWB also had a 89% approval rating, but is mired at 26% now. But just because your choice is clearly Coleman, gives you no right to call the majority in Minnesota psychotic if they elect Frankin.

Get a clue PJ, most people do not think the way you do, which gives many in America hope for the future. And the name of Norm Coleman's biggest handicap is GWB. You should have seen this back lash coming many years ago, and now the piper must be paid. Frankin has been too correct at exactly the time Coleman has been too wrong. And now you try to blame the people of Minnesota when you should be blaming the republican party's stupidity. Coleman is losing because he earned it. Get over it, come back when you have ideas that will be good for America.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
He attended Harvard College and graduated cum laude in 1973 with a bachelor of arts degree in political science. In 2003, Franken served as a Fellow with Harvard's Kennedy School of Government at the Joan Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy.

If Reagan and Arnold can become governors, Franken can become a senator.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

I'd rather it be an educated comedian who ISN'T a douche-bag, than a neo-con dick sucker.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: quest55720
The senate race here in minnesota has been just off the charts nasty. It has gotten so bad it has drove many to 3rd party canadite Dean Barkley. The election will come down to who Dean Barkley steals the most votes from. I am not going to call it because it can go either way. I am thinking of voting for Dean Barkley because I don't like the other 2 at all. I love minnesota politics it is always fun and entertaining.

I was about to post something about the 3rd party person. From what I have read it seems he is taking more votes from Franken then Coleman. I think Minn will find out the hard way the majority want change in their senate seat but the fighting over who to change too will allow coleman a win by default.

Also all the people that have seen Farnken in person can see he is a serious canidate. A lot of on the fence voters said they were surprised on how ell Franken speaks and connects with Minn voters. I think a lot of them still don;t know he was born and grew up in Minn so when they meet him in person he does very well.

Franken should be able to win this but I think when so many people vote 3rd party they will be stuck with Coleman for another 6 years. :(

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: quest55720
The senate race here in minnesota has been just off the charts nasty. It has gotten so bad it has drove many to 3rd party canadite Dean Barkley. The election will come down to who Dean Barkley steals the most votes from. I am not going to call it because it can go either way. I am thinking of voting for Dean Barkley because I don't like the other 2 at all. I love minnesota politics it is always fun and entertaining.

Are Franken and Coleman throwing plates of fetid Lutefisk at each other, more or less?

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan

If Reagan and Arnold can become governors, Franken can become a senator.

Also, remember, Franken is running in the same state that once elected Jesse Ventura governor, so anything can happen.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Don't bash the OP to much I think he just came to the conclusion that the democrats are going to have 60+ seats until 2012.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
and, what makes Franken a "doucebag" in his opinions that you find objectionable?

the fact that he is a talentless ass clown that actually thinks people really care what his self ritcheous ass has to say, then again I can see why so many of the loonbags here would admire the guy...have a failed comedy career, only to go on to a failed radio career, and now end up in politics as a champion for the left.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

the fact that he is a talentless ass clown that actually thinks people really care what his self ritcheous ass has to say, then again I can see why so many of the loonbags here would admire the guy...have a failed comedy career, only to go on to a failed radio career, and now end up in politics as a champion for the left.

Nice attack and negative ad hom Con douchery. It doesn't win you any arguments.

I'm uncomfortable putting Franken in the Wellstone catagory, but it's a start. I think Coleman is on the lunatic fringe as exemplified by his stance on Terri Schiavo.

But since you can't argue against that you just argue

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Nice attack and negative ad hom Con douchery. It doesn't win you any arguments.

I'm uncomfortable putting Franken in the Wellstone catagory, but it's a start. I think Coleman is on the lunatic fringe as exemplified by his stance on Terri Schiavo.

But since you can't argue against that you just argue

Its minnesota, why would I really care....just saying that it Franken should have stuck to doing nothing, hopefully he loses.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Minnesota loves to cling to the "new and trendy" stuff. Sadly, they are years behind the wave of the rest of the country. Keep in mind, they also voted for "Jesse" and got him into office. Additionally, when your brain is literally frozen for half the year due to the climate, you tend to behave abnormally.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
You forgot to add "successful author", but that would interfere with your brilliant ad hominem against Mr. Franken.

Also, FWIW, I remember a certain liberal politician from Missouri that a lot of people dismissed as "a failed haberdasher"...

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
You forgot to add "successful author", but that would interfere with your brilliant ad hominem against Mr. Franken.

Also, FWIW, I remember a certain liberal politician from Missouri that a lot of people dismissed as "a failed haberdasher"...

Quantify "successful", here I thought the only thing that brought attention to his abysmal writing career was when Fox sued his ass for libel.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's a wave election.

find something to grab on to -- I hear clinging to guns works well.
I am clinging to the idea that the Dems are going to go so far left that the Republicans rebound big time in 2010.

Remember that congress's approval rating is so low that even Bush looks good compared to them.
Congress's approval rating is so low because people wanted the Democrats to hold Bush to account and they have not. 2006 was a clear vote against the policies Bush was implementing; and people wanted change and congress hasn't been able to do that.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
This from a guy, ProfJohn, who voted for Bush, twice?
Franken has more brains in his pinky than Bush has in his whole body.
And Franken might have been a comedian, but Bush IS a joke.

:thumbsup:

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe

Quantify "successful", here I thought the only thing that brought attention to his abysmal writing career was when Fox sued his ass for libel.
You're right; he only had five books that made the NYT best sellers list, and only three of those went to #1.

He also won only three Emmys. Not that great for somebody who was nominated seven times...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

LOL, the neocons are getting pissy.