Is Al Franken going win in Minnesota???

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Is Al coming across as a serious candidate?

What is going on in the cold north?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

I guess Coleman isn't that popular, but Franken is a comedian!!! What are the people thinking???

Didn't their experience with Jesse Ventura teach them anything?

Is Al coming across as a serious candidate?

What is going on in the cold north?

Well you're voting for McCain, didn't experience teach you anything?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
This from a guy, ProfJohn, who voted for Bush, twice?
Franken has more brains in his pinky than Bush has in his whole body.
And Franken might have been a comedian, but Bush IS a joke.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
So, PJ - what's your issue with Al Franken, other than the Stuart Smalley film......

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's a wave election.

find something to grab on to -- I hear clinging to guns works well.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
So, PJ - what's your issue with Al Franken, other than the Stuart Smalley film......
As I asked in the OP. Is he coming across as a serious politician??

Or is he running some type of outsider joke campaign or something. I am in Florida and have no clue what is going on up there.

That is why I made this thread.

They are going to send a second rate SNL actor to congress??? What's next? Cooter from Dukes of Hazard? :)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's a wave election.

find something to grab on to -- I hear clinging to guns works well.
I am clinging to the idea that the Dems are going to go so far left that the Republicans rebound big time in 2010.

Remember that congress's approval rating is so low that even Bush looks good compared to them.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Minnesota Congresswoman, Michele Bachmann's appearance on Chris Matthews' show, calling for an investigation of Obama and all of Congress to determine if they were pro or anti-American, is the gift that keeps on giving for Minnesota Democrats. :D

Real Clear Politics average of the polls now shows Franken has come from behind to lead by 2.6. :thumbsup: :cool:

If this keeps up, it may be the year SNL dominates the political playing field.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Or is he running some type of outsider joke campaign or something. I am in Florida and have no clue what is going on up there.

They are going to send a second rate SNL actor to congress??? What's next? Cooter from Dukes of Hazard? :)

We've had a second rate B actor as President, so it all balances out...:)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Hell, why not? The Republicans elected TO THE PRESIDENCY, an actor best known for his part in a movie starring a chimpanzee... :roll:
(and he SHOULD have stuck to acting...he was better that that than he was as the President)

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

And Ronald Reagan was a "B" Movie actor before he went into politics.

Don't you have any real curiosity about the history of American Politics?

I would expect a thread like this to come from a country bumpkin, not from someone who purports to have at least a journeyman's understanding of history.

Sheesh!

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

We've had a second rate B actor as President, so it all balances out...:)

To be fair, Reagan was arguably a good actor. He just happened to work in "B" films.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Reagan was also governor of California from 1967?1975. Be fair to the man.

A job he got with exactly the same experience Franken has.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As the ever clueless Non Prof John asks, Can anyone who lives up there give us a sense of what is going on??

Yes PJ, I volunteer. The fact is that Al Frankin may have had a previous career as a comedian, but he is a serious political candidate now. And part of the wind at his back is that Norm Coleman and GWB have done a miserable job, as serious candidates, to deliver the goods to the people of Minnesota or to the people of the United States.

Must I remind you that your hero, Ronald Reagan had a prior career as a B grade actor, Hoover was a mining engineer, Lincoln was a lawyer, Truman was a men's clothing salesman, Wilson was a College Professor, Grant was a ner do well who resigned his military commission, and we have had a diverse variety of successful and not so successful politicians coming from all walks of life. You are an idiot if you think being a comedian disqualifies Al Frankin. Or should I remind you Albert Einstein was a Swiss patient examiner, not exactly the background one would expect for perhaps the most brilliant brain of the 20'th century.

If political time in office were any criteria, the election of 2008 would pit Senator Bird against Senator Ted Stevens.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey
Minnesota Congresswoman, Michele Bachmann's appearance on Chris Matthews' show, calling for an investigation of Obama and all of Congress to determine if they were pro or anti-American, is the gift that keeps on giving for Minnesota Democrats. :D

Real Clear Politics average of the polls now shows Franken has come from behind to lead by 2.6. :thumbsup: :cool:

If this keeps up, it may be the year SNL dominates the political playing field.

Speaking of Bachmann... it's now a dead heat for the 6th District. :thumbsup:

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
The senate race here in minnesota has been just off the charts nasty. It has gotten so bad it has drove many to 3rd party canadite Dean Barkley. The election will come down to who Dean Barkley steals the most votes from. I am not going to call it because it can go either way. I am thinking of voting for Dean Barkley because I don't like the other 2 at all. I love minnesota politics it is always fun and entertaining.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Why doesn't ProfJohn see his own inconsistencies? As someone just pointed out in another thread, he thinks lawsuits are warranted with regards to the Obama birth certificate, but we all know he thought lawsiuts were inappropriate in 2000 election. He doesn't think a comedian should be elected, but probaly doesn't think twice about Reagan, or Palin being an idiot, or McCain graduating near the bottom of his class. At least some of the other radical conservatives on this board TRY to appear consistent.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: techs

Actually Reagan was the President of the actors guild for years.

Franken has NO experience of value. Doesn't mean he will be a total failure though, but to compare him to Reagan is a little off.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Franken has NO experience of value. Doesn't mean he will be a total failure though, but to compare him to Reagan is a little off.

ah, President of the "actors guild" sounds so elitist.....

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

I'm assuming this is a serious question which is probably a mistake on my part, but no it isn't anything like Stephen Colbert running for President. He has been involve in political activism for a number of years and he has got a good education so really he isn't that much different than a lot of people who have ran for Senate.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003

President of the actor's guild? really? that's what's hot in the streets right now?

Al Franken has been engaged in politics for some time. I think he's too shrill to be a senator but norm coleman is a festering cow vagina and paul wellstone's seat doesn't belong with him.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Mr. Franken wasn't doing all that well until the Coleman campaign screwed the pooch with their own negative advertising; the Franken campaign discredited the "Angry Al" ad with this rejoinder: (Franken Response). This was the turning point, as the cynicism (and underlying dishonesty) of the Minnesota Republican Senatorial machine was exposed. The Bachman incident was the icing on the cake.

edit: It was in the wake of his sliding poll numbers that Senator Coleman achieved political enlightenment and forswore negative ads.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Why doesn't ProfJohn see his own inconsistencies? As someone just pointed out in another thread, he thinks lawsuits are warranted with regards to the Obama birth certificate, but we all know he thought lawsiuts were inappropriate in 2000 election. He doesn't think a comedian should be elected, but probaly doesn't think twice about Reagan, or Palin being an idiot, or McCain graduating near the bottom of his class. At least some of the other radical conservatives on this board TRY to appear consistent.
You are clueless.

1. I changed my mind about the Obama lawsuit once I learned there was a birth announcement in the local paper.

2. I don't question a comedian being elected, I was asking how the race is going and how it is being run.

3. Reagan was a national figure for years before becoming governor.

4. If Palin is an idiot then we should only elect idiots to office because she is the MOST popular governor in the country!!! Number 1!!! Last year she had an 89% approval rating, almost 10 points higher than second place. (The guy she replaced had a 29% rating)

5. The 2000 recounts violated the 14th amendment. The Supreme Court ruled 7-2 on this issue, it wasn't even close.

Care to throw some more crap out there?

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Did anybody show that clip of Al Franken going nuts on Hardball when he was arguing with Tony Blankley? God that was ugly. The man's comedy translates better in books.