Is a snake a service animal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Depends, I (unfortunately) know some women that enjoy being "serviced" by snakes.

how does this come up in conversation?

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I think the vagina should be a service animal, cause it keeps my testosterone levels low enough to suppress my rage, thus saving lives. Thank you vagina

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
While seeing eye dogs and the occasional monkey seem to be readily accepted as service animals, there are a whole bunch of folks with MS, autism, paraplegia, cerebral palsy and, epilepsy who need service animals and deserve to be treated with respect. I don't have a problem with any service animal as long as it's certified.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The greatest capacity a snake can be "trained" may entail simple stimulus-response type behavior. For example, it will figure out that you are not an immediate threat, nor are you food. And it may also learn that a certain kind of thumping vibration means that food may follow. And in my experience, you couldn't use food as positive reinforcement, because 1) Snakes are pretty stupid in general, and 2) they tend to get a little bit insane when being fed. I've babysat and kept ball pythons already, and once they smell mice, they'll strike at anything that moves, even if it's several feet away from the enclosure.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Originally posted by: JLee

You mean "we" have the deep pockets?

What organization trains snakes as service animals?

If they don't want to spend the money, then don't legislate. Doing nothing is the free alternative. When you infringe on other's livelihoods it's up to the ruler to be certain proposed laws are fair, not the ruled.

Uhhhh, you've got it ass-backwards. Of course, you have the right to own all sorts of different animals. However, you do NOT have the right to take your animals into restaurants, department stores, etc. However, the government has granted that special right to a particular class of people & animals. If they didn't legislate, no one would be taking in a seeing eye dog, or any other animal.

A snake senses seizures before they occur? Bullshit. I think it would be wonderfully ironic that if while the guy was actually having a seizure, a bystander assumed incorrectly that the snake was choking him & killed the snake. Else, it would be ironic if during a seizure, while unable to defend himself, the snake actually did choke him.

Is that your professional opinion?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7
The greatest capacity a snake can be "trained" may entail simple stimulus-response type behavior. For example, it will figure out that you are not an immediate threat, nor are you food. And it may also learn that a certain kind of thumping vibration means that food may follow. And in my experience, you couldn't use food as positive reinforcement, because 1) Snakes are pretty stupid in general, and 2) they tend to get a little bit insane when being fed. I've babysat and kept ball pythons already, and once they smell mice, they'll strike at anything that moves, even if it's several feet away from the enclosure.

Fuck. My service animal is a pocketful of baby mice.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: lxskllr

What organization trains snakes as service animals?

When you infringe upon the rights of private property owners, it's up to you to demonstrate how you comply with law that forces them to allow your animal there. ;)

Who trains animals to be emotional support animals? There's someone on this forum with that very thing. An animal that's close to it's owner may provide benefit without being trained. A snake could very well be able to discern the onset of a seizure. Reptiles are very sensitive animals, and could pick up on signals that all isn't right. If the animal/human pair are in tune with each other the snake can provide assistance to it's owner.

"An animal that's close to its owner" is not a service animal. How many seeing eye dogs do you see without any "real" training? How many police K9's are just "close to their handlers"?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

"An animal that's close to its owner" is not a service animal. How many seeing eye dogs do you see without any "real" training? How many police K9's are just "close to their handlers"?

It could very well be a one off. If it works for the owner, that's all that matters. I don't give too much a shit about legalities, and certifying stamps. If it works, it works.