Is 1600x900 resolution cpu dependent?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Currently using a 1440x900 monitor at the moment that could fail at any moment or day,already had to take it apart and seemed to have fixed it but not gonna count my chickens before they hatch so looking for a suitable replacement!

I know the majority of people are gonna say to go for 1080p but for the most part i am looking for a resolution that works well,doesn't bog the cpu down and would give my system maximum longevity as the whole pc hobby really hurts the wallet and looking to quit spending for a while.:p

I find my primary game BF3 can bog down my cpu,having it spike well above 90% at times at 1440x900 causing major stuttering and frame rate dips,so enabling vsync for the most part drops usage and stops the stuttering and dips,would 1600x900 be nearly as cpu dependent?

System specs are a i5 2500 non k,8gb ddr3,180gb intel 330 ssd and a EVGA FTW gtx670.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
if you experience stutter with that system there's something wrong. What Internet connection do you have?

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Any resolution is CPU dependent if you want smooth performance (and not just high avg fps) and/or good minimum fps.

NSF MW for example doesn't run good even on high end cf at 1440p with ivy or SB e CPUs. But I guarantee that a stock haswell will cut it like butter. 100% Guaranteed based on my experience with CPUs and gpus and various combinations.

To answer your question in convention noob language, 16x9 is mostly CPU depdeant. But the reality is that at higher Rez you never get better performance and CPUs are needed even at higher Rez, and no less, if at all more.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
if you experience stutter with that system there's something wrong. What Internet connection do you have?

6mb down/1mb up

Enabling vsync does fix the stutter,i have tried the last 3 sets of drivers nvidia has put out and for the most part with vsync disabled,its a stuttering mess but for sh1ts and giggles,i will do a repair install but why i need to do this idk,the game was installed the moment the build was up and running....

BC2 being another game i was playing till recently was completely the over way around,excellent performance with vsync disabled but enabled and well i would have major dips....

The os partition for the most part is a fresh install on a brand new ssd,previously had a mechanical drive in the tower with a 7850 that did not stutter like this.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
And in your system 8gb ram seems the worst of all, though still unlikely,

Worst as in brand?I always go with kingston and have for years and it has never let me down,as far as how often my system peaks over 4gb usage?Often enough but system total never peaks over 5gb used.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Worst as in possible cause of stuttering. And Kingston is one of the worst brands today.

Doubt its a memory issue,game was stutter free with the 7850 but with this card,its only stuttering with vsync is disabled and since the game runs fine with it enabled,i can't complain.

Empty servers actually presented little to stutter.I found when cpu usage started to get up near 80%,it would stutter and vsync is enabled,it usually stays mid 70% usage and either option would never present 98-99% gpu usage even with the wide dips with vsync disabled dragging into the 40s....

Will run memtest just as a troubleshoot option,the gpu isn't overclocked at all and temps are perfectly fine ingame for both cpu and gpu.

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
Doubt its a memory issue,game was stutter free with the 7850 but with this card,its only stuttering with vsync is disabled and since the game runs fine with it enabled,i can't complain.

Empty servers actually presented little to stutter.I found when cpu usage started to get up near 80%,it would stutter and vsync is enabled,it usually stays mid 70% usage and either option would never present 98-99% gpu usage even with the wide dips with vsync disabled dragging into the 40s....

Will run memtest just as a troubleshoot option,the gpu isn't overclocked at all and temps are perfectly fine ingame for both cpu and gpu.

Memory shouldn't be a problem. It usually works or it doesn't, and 8Gb is plenty as long as you're not going crazy in the background (in which case it would probably be your cpu giving problems anyway). I've never had problems with kingston. I have some drives from them and they all work really well, although I can't argue that there are better options.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Currently using a 1440x900 monitor at the moment that could fail at any moment or day,already had to take it apart and seemed to have fixed it but not gonna count my chickens before they hatch so looking for a suitable replacement!

I know the majority of people are gonna say to go for 1080p but for the most part i am looking for a resolution that works well,doesn't bog the cpu down and would give my system maximum longevity as the whole pc hobby really hurts the wallet and looking to quit spending for a while.:p

I find my primary game BF3 can bog down my cpu,having it spike well above 90% at times at 1440x900 causing major stuttering and frame rate dips,so enabling vsync for the most part drops usage and stops the stuttering and dips,would 1600x900 be nearly as cpu dependent?

System specs are a i5 2500 non k,8gb ddr3,180gb intel 330 ssd and a EVGA FTW gtx670.

It will still be CPU dependent but not as much.What is your gpu usage while playing BF3?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
It will still be CPU dependent but not as much.What is your gpu usage while playing BF3?

Depends on map but anywhere in the 70-96% area,typically mid 80s and if vsync is disabled and i get the huge 40 fps dip,the usage actually dips.

There is few times when vsync is enabled that i get mid 50s drops but honestly i always enjoy games without vsync enabled and those mid 50's dips still happen when i have relatively lower gpu usage.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I have heard of such problems in CPU limited situations and at that Rez and that CPU speed that is very much possible.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Skip have you tried enabling adaptive vsync in NV control panel?

Nothing difference there happens,still those mid 50 dips.

Usually when vsync is enabled people have issues with stutter in this game,i have the complete opposite of that lol.:p

The reason for the thread mostly was me wondering if 1600x900 is a cpu bound resolution,i hear 50/50 for the most part.

But yeah i have been up and down driver reinstalls,fresh os install,a repair install and even upped the power limit via msi afterburner hoping it was just a unstable card cause of clocks,no difference.

Tried adaptive and maximum performance power modes in nvidias control panel,ingame the only tasks running are google chrome,fraps and msi ab.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Worst as in possible cause of stuttering. And Kingston is one of the worst brands today.

Kingston worst brands today? That's hilarious. They are the most widely used manufacturers of ram today. There is a reason all of my customers ask for it. Because it's rock solid and little to no compatibility issues. Now of you want High performance memory 2000Mhz+ then yes, there are better options.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1712

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Kingston worst brands today? That's hilarious. They are the most widely used manufacturers of ram today.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1712

It is why i always used it without fail,almost guaranteed to be compatible with any motherboard.

Have put kingston in oem towers,custom towers,old towers and new and its always been off the shelf compatible and not a bad stick yet.

I sorta have my brand circle of trust so to speak,evga for video cards,antec for cases,kingston for memory,western digital for mechanical hard drives and corsair now adays for power supplies.

I keep in my circle of trust and for the most part i am never getting doa stuff,or getting disappointed.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Nothing difference there happens,still those mid 50 dips.

Usually when vsync is enabled people have issues with stutter in this game,i have the complete opposite of that lol.:p

The reason for the thread mostly was me wondering if 1600x900 is a cpu bound resolution,i hear 50/50 for the most part.

But yeah i have been up and down driver reinstalls,fresh os install,a repair install and even upped the power limit via msi afterburner hoping it was just a unstable card cause of clocks,no difference.

Tried adaptive and maximum performance power modes in nvidias control panel,ingame the only tasks running are google chrome,fraps and msi ab.

That is indeed very puzzling.As a last resort have you tried the frame limiter in MSI AB?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
That is indeed very puzzling.As a last resort have you tried the frame limiter in MSI AB?

I don't recall such a option in AB,but at one point i did have EVGA precision installed to troubleshoot the stuttering and i tried 60,75,80 and for the most part it continued.

Vsync enabled with my refresh rate at 75hz would actually cause stuttering but at 60hz or 60fps,that was not the case.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
If stutter only happens when the CPU usage is 80%+ then that is your culprit. Get a 3770k and oc to 4.2+.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
If stutter only happens when the CPU usage is 80%+ then that is your culprit. Get a 3770k and oc to 4.2+.

Yeah this idea did play out in my head as well,i have seen some of the forum members exclaiming a moderate increase in performance switching over from chips like the 2500k to a 3770k.

Went thru the entire software checklist,did multiple drivers,uninstalls,reinstalls,underclocking,overclocking,you name it.

Last thing i will do is redownload and reinstall BF3 and if that doesn't fix it,then i will just drop in a z77 mobo and a 3770k,as i have been wanting something more fun to overclock anyways.

Buddy of mine is stuck on a 9150e x4....i already gave him my old 7850 to replace his 9500gt,perhaps i'll be a nice guy and give him the i5 too.;)

nforce4max

Oct 5, 2012
You will likely get better avg fps with the new monitor than that pos you have now. The reason is very simple, the lower the rest the more frames your card can complete for a given time than at a higher ress but it increases the load for the cpu to keep the card properly fed so it does help to have a decent monitor.

jidery

Mar 31, 2012
This may sound silly, but make sure your power plan is on performance, somehow mine got changed to power saving and I spend hours trying to figure out what'd wrong with my computer.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
You will likely get better avg fps with the new monitor than that pos you have now. The reason is very simple, the lower the rest the more frames your card can complete for a given time than at a higher ress but it increases the load for the cpu to keep the card properly fed so it does help to have a decent monitor.

Yeah,this one is failing anyways but was more curious then anything to how cpu dependent 1600x900 is as that will be my replacement.

Meh,maybe i will just pick up a 1080p monitor and just hope upcoming games don't rape this card for a few years as i am honestly attempting to build a rig i will be content with while resisting upgrades but gaming on anything but the native resolution is a sin.:p

Had a rig you know if others have followed my postings closely that had been stolen that had a 3770k and a pair of gtx670s.....i was content with that rig but clearly it was overkill for my 32'' 1080p t.v...which i sold after my tower got stolen so being content after having such a rig is pretty hard.
:(

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
This may sound silly, but make sure your power plan is on performance, somehow mine got changed to power saving and I spend hours trying to figure out what'd wrong with my computer.

First thing i did when i installed 7,right next to shutting off that user account control,its religion in my book to have that crap turned off.