IRS: Cheapest Obama Care Plan for Family of Four will be $20,000/year

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/irs-cheapest-obamacare-plan-will-be-20000-family

And here it comes. More government regulation being forced down our throats and our ass hat president is going to use the IRS to enforce the penalties.

Here is the real kicker. The people on welfare, unemployement, WIC, etc... that don't pay income taxes in the first place won't even be affected by this as they will still go straight to the ER to get their health care. No, it will effect those of us that actually play by the rules.

Pathetic...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The kicker is these people will simply pay or not pay the penalty and the system will collapse on itself. Nothing changed except for the few idiots who actually pay the unenforceable "tax" or attempt to buy this ludicriously expensive plan.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
It's times like this when I look back and think.....Republicans should not have been dicks when it came to the public option. In the end, it's hitting the American people even harder in the pocketbook......

Nov 30, 2006
It's times like this when I look back and think.....Republicans should not have been dicks when it came to the public option. In the end, it's hitting the American people even harder in the pocketbook......
So...in the end...it's the Republicans fault. Interesting perspective.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/irs-cheapest-obamacare-plan-will-be-20000-family

And here it comes. More government regulation being forced down our throats and our ass hat president is going to use the IRS to enforce the penalties.

Here is the real kicker. The people on welfare, unemployement, WIC, etc... that don't pay income taxes in the first place won't even be affected by this as they will still go straight to the ER to get their health care. No, it will effect those of us that actually play by the rules.

Pathetic...

After just a very very quick glance at the regulations I don't think either you or the right wing news source you linked from understand what the regulations say.

Not only do I not see any evidence in that document that the IRS actually believes that's what it will cost (they are examples with round numbers for clarity), but the examples serve to tell you who will be eligible for subsidies to make their health care more affordable. If your health care costs exceed 8% of your income, you are eligible for it.

I seriously don't even know what your OP is complaining about, but this is a good example as to why you shouldn't read ultra right wing news sources.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
"CNS News" is not a news source. It's a right-wing propaganda site like WND or Drudge (I'd include Fox here, but those sites are even worse than Fox).

I wouldn't even consider trusting these people for a fair evaluation of a 73-page IRS document. That goes double given that they are extrapolating from examples and acting as if the examples are definitive.

Find something from a reputable source and maybe you'll have a valid complaint.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ooh, know what's even better? The OP is complaining that the poor will just use the emergency room and skip out on the bill. Since the penalty basically only serves to keep people from doing just that... his real complaint is that he would like to keep going to the ER and skipping out on the bill but now he can't.

Also, from the examples in the article: what percentage of American families make $120k a year and don't provide health care for their children?

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
After just a very very quick glance at the regulations I don't think either you or the right wing news source you linked from understand what the regulations say.

Not only do I not see any evidence in that document that the IRS actually believes that's what it will cost (they are examples with round numbers for clarity), but the examples serve to tell you who will be eligible for subsidies to make their health care more affordable. If your health care costs exceed 8% of your income, you are eligible for it.

Oh, so its ok that it will cost $20,000 *IF* there are government subsidies. LOL. Yeah, that is normal left wing talk. Lets just keep printing money and throw that at the problem. That will really help the economy.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
There is an IRS link in the article. CNS didn't the link.

The problem is that the IRS link doesn't say what CNS is saying. CNS "interpreted" the IRS document to come up with their conclusion.

That makes the credibility of the "interpreter" of paramount importance. And CNS has zero.

The real shame is that someone who actually has more of a clue than an axe to grind will have to waste time debunking this nonsense.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Ooh, know what's even better? The OP is complaining that the poor will just use the emergency room and skip out on the bill. Since the penalty basically only serves to keep people from doing just that... his real complaint is that he would like to keep going to the ER and skipping out on the bill but now he can't.

How in the world did you take from what I said as I go to the ER for my medical coverage? I dread the ER. Maybe been 3 times in my life...

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Oh, so its ok that it will cost $20,000 *IF* there are government subsidies. LOL. Yeah, that is normal left wing talk. Lets just keep printing money and throw that at the problem. That will really help the economy.
Yes, I agree. Preventing unforeseen medical expenses from destroying people's credit rating will definitely help the economy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, what I'm saying is that I see no evidence that the IRS believes they will be that much in 2016. They are examples. If Johnny has 5 apples and Susie has two, do you believe there are really kids somewhere exchanging apples?

Secondly, health care costs ALREADY EXIST. Insurance is pooled risk and cost. The primary change under the ACA is how we pay for it. The government was already subsidizing this care, just through less efficient means. What, did you think that the passage of the ACA is suddenly creating all this new health care spending that didn't exist before? Hardly.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
The problem is that the IRS link doesn't say what CNS is saying. CNS "interpreted" the IRS document to come up with their conclusion.

That makes the credibility of the "interpreter" of paramount importance. And CNS has zero.

The real shame is that someone who actually has more of a clue than an axe to grind will have to waste time debunking this nonsense.

When Obama care hits and you are forced to either pay for the government plan or pay the penalty we can re-visit what is "nonsense".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How in the world did you take from what I said as I go to the ER for my medical coverage? I dread the ER. Maybe been 3 times in my life...

Well if you don't go to the ER for coverage you either already have health insurance so this won't affect you or you are gambling that you won't have a serious illness. Of course if you do, we the taxpayers will be picking up the tab.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Yes, I agree. Preventing unforeseen medical expenses from destroying people's credit rating will definitely help the economy.

Who are you to say that people should buy healthcare? What, are you the healthcare enforcer? Just because you may be able to afford it doesn't mean everyone can.

This is the real argument with Obama Care.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Well if you don't go to the ER for coverage you either already have health insurance so this won't affect you or you are gambling that you won't have a serious illness. Of course if you do, we the taxpayers will be picking up the tab.

I have no idea how this will affect my plan. I pay $350/month for BlueCross BluShield. But I don't know if that will be an acceptable governement plan. It is possible I may have to move to another type of coverage that will cost more or less...

The reason I posted this was to show those who DON'T HAVE COVERAGE what the potentials are. The Obama supporters who voted for him that don't have coverage are the ones that will be affected by this in the upcoming years and they have no idea...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Who are you to say that people should buy healthcare? What, are you the healthcare enforcer? Just because you may be able to afford it doesn't mean everyone can.

No the real argument is that you should not have the freedom not to buy health care without also having to face the consequences of that freedom, ie:death from preventable illness. We as a society decided a long time ago that we would not let the sick die if we could save them, and this is the natural result. You are arguing for freedom without accountability, which is not true freedom.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have no idea how this will affect my plan. I pay $350/month for BlueCross BluShield. But I don't know if that will be an acceptable governement plan. It is possible I may have to move to another type of coverage that will cost more or less...

The reason I posted this was to show those who DON'T HAVE COVERAGE what the potentials are. The Obama supporters who voted for him that don't have coverage are the ones that will be affected by this in the upcoming years and they have no idea...

Those without coverage where coverage would cost more than 8% of their income will be assisted. Why not mention it?

Last edited:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012

The problem is that we as a society are not willing to allow stupid, selfish or short-sighted people to pay for the consequences of their actions.

I would be perfectly fine with nobody having to have health insurance as long as they agreed that they were on their own. Break a bone? Get cancer? Too bad. Pay for it out of your own pocket. Can't afford it? Suffer or die.

But we don't want this as a society, so we pass laws allowing those who don't take responsibility to just go to the hospital and get "free" care paid for by everyone else. And as long as that keeps happening, yes, it is entirely reasonable to force people to pay for healthcare, and to do it in a way that is efficient.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Pathetic...

You want to be mad, be mad at the GOP, this is THEIR healthcare plan (specifically from the Heritage foundation and the one the GOP endorsed in response to Hillarycare). Obama foolishly compromised with you idiots on this. You don't want this shit, support a single payer system like every advanced economy in the world.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Pathetic...

CNS news??? Pathetic indeed.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You want to be mad, be mad at the GOP, this is THEIR healthcare plan (specifically from the Heritage foundation and the one the GOP endorsed in response to Hillarycare). Obama foolishly compromised with you idiots on this. You don't want this shit, support a single payer system like every advanced economy in the world.

W0rd! But the Rightists seem to not understand this is one of the biggest factors of keeping Big insurance from ass raping consumers. How's the "Free market" working for you Rightists?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
W0rd! But the Rightists seem to not understand this is one of the biggest factors of keeping Big insurance from ass raping consumers. How's the "Free market" working for you Rightists?

What free market?