Iran has missing US Stealth Drone

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Although Iran has a domestic aerospace industry, copying an RQ-170 would be a big challenge for them.

The real "reverse engineering" will be when pieces end up in China and maybe even Russia. See what happened with the stealth Blackhawk which crashed in the bin Laden raid. Although China may be developing similar aircraft on its own, gaining a peak at how someone else solves problems is never a bad thing.

http://cnair.top81.cn/UAV/UCAV_SAC.jpg

This. That's the real problem here. Give the Chinese or Russians a boost in their own designs and/or on how to detect our steath tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Wasn't that virus on the ground computers (that control the drones) and not the drones themselves?

If that is the case, then that makes better sense then a virus infecting the drone. Lets say the ground control systems were compromised by virus, who can say for sure that the virus did not transmit the control system specs to Iran or china?

As far as we know, the virus uploaded the entire control system to a remote server, where it was reverse engineered.

People are saying its impossible that the drone was taken control of, may not be taking the whole situation into consideration. The control systems were compromised, who knows what kind of information was leaked? How long was the virus in the system before it was discovered, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months,,,?

Its possible the virus was in place for long enough for china to build its own control system from the specs transmitted by the virus, then those controls were given to iran.

Last edited:

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
This. That's the real problem here. Give the Chinese or Russians a boost in their own designs and/or on how to detect our steath tech.
To stability in this world, this is good.

No state should feel to have such impunity due to a technological advantage as to nonchallantly violate the sovereignty of another state.

If an Iranian (even with help) manner of obtaining this relatively intact device prove to be valid, then this fundamentally benign method of defence against such incursion is healthy to deter future aggression into a state.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
^^^Right, because even if iran manages to reverse engineer the drone, (assuming its real) that will make a huge difference? Then again, you seem to not like the U.S. anyway, so that explains your point of view

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
^^^Right, because even if iran manages to reverse engineer the drone, (assuming its real) that will make a huge difference?

Why does iran have to be the one that reverse engineered anything?

Keep in mind, iran supplies a good bit of chinas crude oil. China has a vested interest in making sure the supply of crude does not get interrupted.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

No state should feel to have such impunity due to a technological advantage as to nonchallantly violate the sovereignty of another state.

If an Iranian (even with help) manner of obtaining this relatively intact device prove to be valid, then this fundamentally benign method of defence against such incursion is healthy to deter future aggression into a state.

I disagree with this attitude, which seems to take any sort of context or values away and rely on some blanket, black/white notion of "fairness."

Sovereignty is not some magical shield against certain actions and it doesn't automatically create a line of equality between all nations at all times. There can be times when a nation acts in such a way where other countries can rightly violate this so-called sovereignty. The bottom line is claiming "sovereignty" won't always protect you. The transformation in the international system we are going through today has diminished some historical notions of sovereignty and this will continue. For example, today the rights of human beings tends to take on more importance than the rights of a nation state and nations today cannot so much do the things they used to -like wantonly enslave and murder their own people- without serious international uproar or even intervention.

I believe you tried to stay big picture with your comment when you should have just come out and said what everyone knows you're thinking: The US is wrong to be spying on Iran and got what it deserved.

This would align with your historical theme in postings that US is too big for its britches and needs to be slapped down like this, and essentially a less powerful (or militarily advanced) US would improve the stability of the world. Right?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
If that is the case, then that makes better sense then a virus infecting the drone. Lets say the ground control systems were compromised by virus, who can say for sure that the virus did not transmit the control system specs to Iran or china?

As far as we know, the virus uploaded the entire control system to a remote server, where it was reverse engineered.

People are saying its impossible that the drone was taken control of, may not be taking the whole situation into consideration. The control systems were compromised, who knows what kind of information was leaked? How long was the virus in the system before it was discovered, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months,,,?

Its possible the virus was in place for long enough for china to build its own control system from the specs transmitted by the virus, then those controls were given to iran.

While getting an intact drone is definitely a huge prize, I would think that if had the ability to do what you say they would have kept it in their pockets for something a bit bigger/more important.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Why does iran have to be the one that reverse engineered anything?

Keep in mind, iran supplies a good bit of chinas crude oil. China has a vested interest in making sure the supply of crude does not get interrupted.

Beyond that, how much in money, military hardware, and tech do you think that drone is worth to China? I would say quite a lot.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

Your right, if only all weapon and defense technology was open source for all countries to leverage the world would be a much safer place. And if not? So what, at least it is fair.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

no, instead they will have impunity to fund and train terrorist type groups to do their bidding. iran doesn't need drones do to its work.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Your right, if only all weapon and defense technology was open source for all countries to leverage the world would be a much safer place. And if not? So what, at least it is fair.

Imagine how peaceful the world might be today if the 1990s Taliban running Afghanistan had a few Minuteman ICBMs!

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

China can't even make jet engines up to military specs that last more than a fraction of those made in relatively crappy Russian tech. Their "stealth" aircraft is a joke. Their Navy is a joke.

Let's not blow China's capacity out of proportion.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Sovereignty is not some magical shield against certain actions and it doesn't automatically create a line of equality between all nations at all times.
Sovereignty is a present and defining status in law and encouraging stability.

There can be times when a nation acts in such a way where other countries can rightly violate this so-called sovereignty.
As per international law, this is not one of them. A violation of territory has consequences.

I believe you tried to stay big picture with your comment when you should have just come out and said what everyone knows you're thinking: The US is wrong to be spying on Iran and got what it deserved.
There are costs to actions of an unwelcome incursion into a sovereign state. That may be diplomatic through to the strategic loss of equipment and/or intelligence, lives, etc.

This would align with your historical theme in postings that US is too big for its britches and needs to be slapped down like this, and essentially a less powerful (or militarily advanced) US would improve the stability of the world. Right?
Impunity for action is destablising to the world.

Beyond my line of argument of warfare not to be so easy, I see that you may be of a line of statist thought that the USA is an absolute benevolent power that upon choice of action, can commit to no error nor wrong. That is a nonsensical position for a one party, totalitarian state, and of the extreme danger as an advocate to remove checks upon your government and condemning all questioning criticism as treasonous or of enemy thought.

The prime point of my previous post was that if Iran (possible with outside help) managed this defencive action of a controlled downing and apprehending of this drone, then that alters previous US strategy of feeling its actions of invading another territory were a decision of whimsical ease and of little consequence. The apparent limitation of the proclaimed technology may alter such an ease of decisions. That is good, for all.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
China can't even make jet engines up to military specs that last more than a fraction of those made in relatively crappy Russian tech. Their "stealth" aircraft is a joke. Their Navy is a joke.

Let's not blow China's capacity out of proportion.

True, but Red China is a De facto enemy of the United States,. No doubts there.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Good counterpoints above about my idea that these would be unhackable. I guess the security really isn't so impressive. I still have doubt Iran took control of one of these, however.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
As per international law, this is not one of them. A violation of territory has consequences.

OK, this is not one of them (in your eyes). This is different from the wide brush you used previously that seemed to say a violation of sovereignty is always wrong. I was just trying trying point out that there is a time and place for violating another nation's sovereignty because sovereignty is not some barrier of protection to do whatever a nation feels like doing.

There are costs to actions of an unwelcome incursion into a sovereign state. That may be diplomatic through to the strategic loss of equipment and/or intelligence, lives, etc. Impunity for action is destablising to the world.

Yes and no. There are costs but impunity for action would not be destabilizing. If a nation could truly act this way it could essentially do whatever it wanted whenever it wanted and this would actually have a stabilizing effect in that they would have the power to maintain strict control... like Saddam or Stalin within their own countries. It would be a terrible situation, but not destabilizing. Thankfully, no nation is close to being able to do that.

Beyond my line of argument of warfare not to be so easy, I see that you may be of a line of statist thought that the USA is an absolute benevolent power that upon choice of action, can commit to no error nor wrong. That is a nonsensical position for a one party, totalitarian state, and of the extreme danger as an advocate to remove checks upon your government and condemning all questioning criticism as treasonous or of enemy thought.

I do not believe that.

The prime point of my previous post was that if Iran (possible with outside help) managed this defencive action of a controlled downing and apprehending of this drone, then that alters previous US strategy of feeling its actions of invading another territory were a decision of whimsical ease and of little consequence. The apparent limitation of the proclaimed technology may alter such an ease of decisions. That is good, for all.

I disagree. It's a cost/benefit thing and we'll generally do what's in our national interest. Flying a drone into Iranian airspace to gather data on its nuclear program is probably worth the risk and it sure beats some of the alternatives such as doing nothing or a land war. The reality is few really care because most everyone wants to know the status of their nuclear program. The only ones who have really gotten puffy about it are the Iranians and a few indignants with their academic reasons and paranoid fears of US power.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
IF that picture is the real drone...I suspect it will be blown up or otherwise destroyed before Iran can do anything with it.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Sure, they'll return it. It's just that it will happen to get lost by UPS when it's making its way through Russia or China. :p

Last edited: