iPhone 5 defective camera thread (purple flare)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'll try this today at lunch on mine, I've only taken a couple pics with mine so far and haven't seen this problem. Maybe it's worth reporting to some tech blogs and see if some of them would do a story on it? That might give the issue some more exposure, especially if they can reproduce it on the phones they have.

Yeah I sent it off to Engadget etc. the other day, haven't heard back.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I have 2 friends who bought on launch here in Canada

Just confirmed with 1 friend this does happen with them as well.

Just FB'd my other friend with your instructions to see if it does for them as well.

Just curious.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I mentioned it in the comments at Ars, but maybe I'll try and contact them directly. They have an article on issues with the iPhone 5.

Also, could it be related to the new ISO 2500 setting in the iPhone 5?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yup mine has it too, if this is a hardware problem I'll be returning this phone for sure.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
2nd friend did your test and confirms the purple colors. 2/2 of friends I've asked.

But he is such a "iphone" snob (I prefer Android so he gets super defensive with me) that he literally got angry at me for pointing out such a "small issue" that "nobody will care about" to create a big scene cause I like Androids.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
2nd friend did your test and confirms the purple colors. 2/2 of friends I've asked.

But he is such a "iphone" snob (I prefer Android so he gets super defensive with me) that he literally got angry at me for pointing out such a "small issue" that "nobody will care about" to create a big scene cause I like Androids.

That's pretty ridiculous, I hate when people are unwilling to admit something they have has a problem because of some personal bias. You would think they would be annoyed that something they like has a flaw that shouldn't be there but they're basically sticking their heads in the sand.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
yup, definitely there. Didn't get it on the overhead lighting, but did pick it off on one of my LCDs. Huge bummer, wonder what the fix will be? I was looking forward to using it as a daily point & shoot.

But to be fair, I had a Canon P&S that did the same thing a couple years back. Still not acceptable, but this is far from the first camera to have the issue.

Last edited:

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I think I'd prefer the harsher and rather correct it later with software on a much more powerful computer than have the phone do it.
You're probably in the 1% of the population with the hardware/software/know-how/actually-care-enough to post process videos to stabilize the image.

For the rest of us, there is OIS.

Last edited:

DJ Callyman

Sep 25, 2012
That's pretty ridiculous, I hate when people are unwilling to admit something they have has a problem because of some personal bias. You would think they would be annoyed that something they like has a flaw that shouldn't be there but they're basically sticking their heads in the sand.

I agree completely. Unfortunately, while not an iPhone snob, I am an iPhone fanboy, and the thought of having to live with this or go to a different phone is killing me.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
It lives.

8CC9E1FE-84E1-432F-9A02-D7AC2330F3FA-273-0000000D33B194CD.jpg

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Definitely waiting till Apple addresses this before I upgrade. Told my daughter to do the same.

DJ Callyman

Sep 25, 2012
Check it out, it even wrecks panoramas.

This was the first photo I took with the new iPhone. I figure because the panorama stitches a bunch of photos together, this is why the purple isn't just on the edge in this one.

IMG_0051_zpsa0b7ec2a.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Check it out, it even wrecks panoramas.

This was the first photo I took with the new iPhone. I figure because the panorama stitches a bunch of photos together, this is why the purple isn't just on the edge in this one.

IMG_0051_zpsa0b7ec2a.jpg

Ah, man. Even if they can re-calibrate the color in software, that haze will still exist...

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
I wonder if we can get some people who don't have this problem and try to identify a hardware variation in the device? Or is the current operating hypothesis that they all suffer from it just to varying degrees?

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
You're probably in the 1% of the population with the hardware/software/know-how/actually-care-enough to post process videos to stabilize the image.

For the rest of us, there is OIS.

You make a good point :)

Is this the part where I say something like 'well then the Lumia is "for the masses" and the iPhone is for the more tech elite' like some Android fanboys say about the iPhone? haha.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I wonder if we can get some people who don't have this problem and try to identify a hardware variation in the device? Or is the current operating hypothesis that they all suffer from it just to varying degrees?

I haven't run into a single person on this forum, Twitter, or in real life who does not have the issue. Out of the 15 or so phones tested, only 3 of them show it to a "minor" degree - it's still there though, just not a huge flareup.