iPad Clones $136.00 Free Shipping runs Android

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
You can look at the cost, or you can look at the value added.

I can't justify an iPad for personal use. However, if I were a professional photographer or graphics artist or some other professional and used my iPad to demonstrate my portfolio/presentation/idea to a prospective client (perhaps even a stranger I met by chance on an airplane) and won a job/project worth a couple of thousand dollars, the $599 device would quickly pay for itself.

That was a very long sentence. :rolleyes:

According to what I've read thus far about the higher quality clones, you should be able to do this with no problem. Case in point, if this proves to be true, then you still won that job/project, still displayed your work professionally & didn't get ripped off like some xxM people thus far.

Last edited:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
how is the service on these compared? say if you break the screen on ipad you can bring it on sunday and walk out with a new one for a very small fee.

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
The funny thing about this whole discussion is that no AT'er has shared his/her hands-on experience in this thread. Even the OP is MIA. Back in June he said:

I ordered one just to be a PDF reader for e-books. If it does this thats fine for me anything else it just icing on the cake.

I would love to get one for the same purpose. Has yours arrived yet? Would you like to share your experience?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The funny thing about this whole discussion is that no AT'er has shared his/her hands-on experience in this thread. Even the OP is MIA. Back in June he said:

I would love to get one for the same purpose. Has yours arrived yet? Would you like to share your experience?

He hasn't responded again because when he tried to charge it it blew up and burned his house down. It's the price you pay with knock-off gadgets...:awe:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
how is the service on these compared? say if you break the screen on ipad you can bring it on sunday and walk out with a new one for a very small fee.

what is a small fee? breaking a screen sounds like big fee to me. im down for one, not sure what i will do with it tho.

nyarrgh

Jan 6, 2001
I have one of these. I bought the Rockchip one that has 16GB, added another 16GB of microSD for a total of 190$. I use it to play my mkv's, read CBR's and CBZ's, read ebooks and generally browse the web and email. It will not hold a candle to the Ipad, specially with a resistive touch screen, but then again, for 190$ I did not expect it too. It does what I bought it to do, and I am glad I have one.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Finally. Thnanks Nyarrgh.

I have one of these. I bought the Rockchip one that has 16GB, added another 16GB of microSD for a total of 190$. I use it to play my mkv's, read CBR's and CBZ's, read ebooks and generally browse the web and email. It will not hold a candle to the Ipad, specially with a resistive touch screen, but then again, for 190$ I did not expect it too. It does what I bought it to do, and I am glad I have one.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002

Hows the battery life?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001

Just curious where is one with 16GB build in? All of the ones on the front page seem to only have a ~128 MB...

Cardio

Jun 11, 2003
I just received an upgraded version of the Apad, Chipad or whatever you wish to call these things. It is running a 1000mhz chip and came with Android 2.0. This is a huge upgrade from the Android 1.5 or 1.6 which most of the others use (they cannot be upgraded due to hardware limitations). I had one of the cheaper earlier versions like the one mentioned in this thread. It was essentially junk. You can find them for as low as $100 with free shipping from China. But I know several who bought them and none still work, including mine. And slow is not the word for it.

I do not have an Ipad but have played with one. The comparison is somewhat complicated as they have different capabilities. This thing has a camera, USB expansion slot, prints with no problem, and has full Android Market. My total cost was just under $300 with UPS Expresss shipping (about 5 days total). Free shipping by EMS is available takes 14~21 days, maybe longer as the trip thru customs seems to take days and days for Postal Service packages and the tracking is virtually worthless, unless you value being told where it is after it's been delivered. UPS was fast and painless and could be tracked just like US packages.

Battery life appears to be pretty good, can't say for sure yet but it will run 2 HD movies and still have a charge. Recharge supposed to take 2 hours but haven't had it long enought to really confirm that. Initial charge was longer but that is not unusual. Screen quality is very good. The OS is really quite fast. I am new to Android but it seems very polished to me.

The finish of the product is very high. Mine is black on the front with a silver back. Also comes in Black, White and Silver. If you specify a color you have to wait until they are in stock, if you don't care you may get it sooner.

I do not know if Android 2.0 can upgrade to Android 2.2 or later versions when they come. They say it can but have not tried yet. The thing comes set in Chinese language and I had to figure out how to switch to English, thank you Google. It was easy but not obvious. The manual is also in Chinese. The keyboard is not as good as the Ipad but not as bad as I had thought.

It has stereo speakers and the sound is pretty good and loud enough to use without the ear buds.

Has 3G (I don't, so can't comment) and 80211n. Connects as well as my laptop. Came with a lot of apps...that all seem to work.

Overall I am very pleased as $263 + shipping with alot more features than an Ipad.
I tried a 32GB expansion card and it read it. Don't know what the limitations are as my Chinese is not quite what it might be. I have a friend from China and he is going to read the manual and translate some of the exact specs and other useful info.

I showed it to someone who has an Ipad and he said "I would never own one as it is made in China". Yes those California East plants of Apple are the berries.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I just received an upgraded version of the Apad, Chipad or whatever you wish to call these things. It is running a 1000mhz chip and came with Android 2.0. This is a huge upgrade from the Android 1.5 or 1.6 which most of the others use (they cannot be upgraded due to hardware limitations). I had one of the cheaper earlier versions like the one mentioned in this thread. It was essentially junk. You can find them for as low as $100 with free shipping from China. But I know several who bought them and none still work, including mine. And slow is not the word for it.

I do not have an Ipad but have played with one. The comparison is somewhat complicated as they have different capabilities. This thing has a camera, USB expansion slot, prints with no problem, and has full Android Market. My total cost was just under $300 with UPS Expresss shipping (about 5 days total). Free shipping by EMS is available takes 14~21 days, maybe longer as the trip thru customs seems to take days and days for Postal Service packages and the tracking is virtually worthless, unless you value being told where it is after it's been delivered. UPS was fast and painless and could be tracked just like US packages.

Battery life appears to be pretty good, can't say for sure yet but it will run 2 HD movies and still have a charge. Recharge supposed to take 2 hours but haven't had it long enought to really confirm that. Initial charge was longer but that is not unusual. Screen quality is very good. The OS is really quite fast. I am new to Android but it seems very polished to me.

The finish of the product is very high. Mine is black on the front with a silver back. Also comes in Black, White and Silver. If you specify a color you have to wait until they are in stock, if you don't care you may get it sooner.

I do not know if Android 2.0 can upgrade to Android 2.2 or later versions when they come. They say it can but have not tried yet. The thing comes set in Chinese language and I had to figure out how to switch to English, thank you Google. It was easy but not obvious. The manual is also in Chinese. The keyboard is not as good as the Ipad but not as bad as I had thought.

It has stereo speakers and the sound is pretty good and loud enough to use without the ear buds.

Has 3G (I don't, so can't comment) and 80211n. Connects as well as my laptop. Came with a lot of apps...that all seem to work.

Overall I am very pleased as $263 + shipping with alot more features than an Ipad.
I tried a 32GB expansion card and it read it. Don't know what the limitations are as my Chinese is not quite what it might be. I have a friend from China and he is going to read the manual and translate some of the exact specs and other useful info.

I showed it to someone who has an Ipad and he said "I would never own one as it is made in China". Yes those California East plants of Apple are the berries.

Link?

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
tempting but only 600mhz proc? seems extremely underpowered when the best android phones are now coming with 1ghz+ procs

VOdka1000

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2006
So looking at all the posts in this thread,
is the first deal-1st. Post will be better
deal than the other gadgets posted later
down thr road - I'm lost!!!!!!

rsolomon

Dec 15, 2001
Are you guys going with the free shipping option? Or are you paying for UPS? The UPS option adds $30+ to the price.

Seems like a group buy will ALSO add intra-USA shipping.... so I'm not sure a GB really makes sense.

Just my $0.02 of course!
Richard

rsolomon

Dec 15, 2001
So looking at all the posts in this thread,
is the first deal-1st. Post will be better
deal than the other gadgets posted later
down thr road - I'm lost!!!!!!

After running this through my proprietary translation software :) I think you're asking whether the originally posted device(s) are the best deal or if one should buy the later-discussed and more expensive devices.

The answer is of course dependent on you.... I think most folks are saying that the downsides of the cheap $100-150 pads make them very niche choices. The $200-300 devices are more flexible, etc.

Richard