iPad Clones $136.00 Free Shipping runs Android

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Generics and knock offs aren't hot deals. A hot deal is if the normal price for this knock off is higher than the price of $136.

Otherwise we could be listing every off-brand knock off in this forum.

Wah wah wah wah wah.

I can go out and buy a Korean imitation of a $200 Dynaudio woofer for $60. And the knockoff will work better. (There's tests to prove it.) While copying the iPad design is sort of lame, any device that can offer a complete computer (albeit a crappy one) for $100 is a god deal

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Wah wah wah wah wah.

I can go out and buy a Korean imitation of a $200 Dynaudio woofer for $60. And the knockoff will work better. (There's tests to prove it.) While copying the iPad design is sort of lame, any device that can offer a complete computer (albeit a crappy one) for $100 is a god deal

Dynaudio makes rather abysmal woofers. They have lackluster nonlinear distortion and very primitive motor designs.

Now, what is this $60 Korean imitation you speak of? I don't know of anyone that tries to copy Dynaudio, though, the Hi-Vi x.8 series is similar with its 3" voice coil and inset magnet similar to Morel and Dynaudio woofers:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-444

Last edited:

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
So what's the bottom line? Has *anyone* ordered this to give us a real time, honest review or are we all just speculating here? I mean you can't go too wrong for $100, but still....

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
My main concern would be the battery. I bought a smaller media player knock-off (ipod touch sized) in Taiwan about 1.5 years ago, and it initially had decent battery life - a few hours when watching a movie. After about 6 months, though, the battery only lasted and hour, and I'm now down to 30 minutes - and I never even used it all that much. Overall, an iPod touch would have been a better investment. My iPod batteries still work great in my 5-year old iPods.

That said, I'm still tempted to buy one of these for a couch-side web browser...

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
The low end of these chipads seems like junk, all the cheapest parts to barely meet the spec, and functionally fall far short of it. Reviews I have seen talk about battery life less than an hour, choppy pixelated video, touch screens that require a lot of force or a stylus to work, generally a waste of time IMHO.

Regardless, they are FAR AWAY from being a hot deal. Anybody have some links to places that know the products and have discussions based on first hand experiences?

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
They had one of these on the engadget show, they said it was running really hot and was freezing up..ect meh

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
I would actually consider grabbing one of these to hold me over until the iPad hits the $199 mark, if there were some good, solid reviews.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Looking around a bit it seems like decent chipads run $200+, so I'm willing to wait a bit for things to shake out and prices to drop. Improvements should come fast, so anything that isn't fairly future proof (firmware upgrades, plenty of memory and processor power), will just be junk in a year or so.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I can't believe these devices are so cheap. We really live in an amazing age, where such complex virtually magical devices cost a day or two's wages.

It also shows how big Apple's profit margin is.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I can't believe these devices are so cheap. We really live in an amazing age, where such complex virtually magical devices cost a day or two's wages.

Honestly there isnt much to them. This is low range smartphone hardware and cheap batteries. The only real cost is the screen itself.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004

I've been saying this since the iPad was announced, along with all of its shortcomings, but tons of people want to argue that the iPad's worth every penny that Apple would ever charge for it.

It's amazing what brand loyal people will believe.

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I've been saying this since the iPad was announced, along with all of its shortcomings, but tons of people want to argue that the iPad's worth every penny that Apple would ever charge for it.

It's amazing what brand loyal people will believe.

You can look at the cost, or you can look at the value added.

I can't justify an iPad for personal use. However, if I were a professional photographer or graphics artist or some other professional and used my iPad to demonstrate my portfolio/presentation/idea to a prospective client (perhaps even a stranger I met by chance on an airplane) and won a job/project worth a couple of thousand dollars, the $599 device would quickly pay for itself.

That was a very long sentence. :rolleyes:

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
You can look at the cost, or you can look at the value added.

I can't justify an iPad for personal use. However, if I were a professional photographer or graphics artist or some other professional and used my iPad to demonstrate my portfolio/presentation/idea to a prospective client (perhaps even a stranger I met by chance on an airplane) and won a job/project worth a couple of thousand dollars, the $599 device would quickly pay for itself.

That was a very long sentence. :rolleyes:

Or, use your 10,000x more practical laptop to do the same thing. It even has a bigger screen.

BRILLIANT!

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I think I read that a tear down analysis showed Apples cost as $164, but that has no direct relation to the value, which for many seems much higher or people would not be buying them.

A laptop and a tablet will have overlapping uses, but you could pass a tablet back and forth in a meeting, its clearly at a different level of portability.

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Because the clones are 1/3 the price. You were talking about a $600 iPad.

I think the #1 reason for looking into iPads and clones is the portability. As mentioned by another user, your laptop loses big time in this department, at any price.

So, if you are looking for an objective justification, there is no sense to look into an iPad unless your requirements call for a highly portable item.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I think the #1 reason for looking into iPads and clones is the portability. As mentioned by another user, your laptop loses big time in this department, at any price.

So, if you are looking for an objective justification, there is no sense to look into an iPad unless your requirements call for a highly portable item.

Besides portability, its just plain convenience. I'm always using my phone, while sitting on the couch, to browse the web. My phone is already more conveneient to me than breaking out my laptop - I'm just always wishing the screen were bigger. For me, its a luxury item, plain and simple.