Ipad 3rd generation a dud?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
WTF? My question was who is the "we" mentioned by vbuggy? Your comment does not answer that question in any way.

MotionMan

The "we" that he mentioned is referring to the users of this forum who would help him with the return issue. We anandtech users can't help answer the question on returning the iPad without having the stores' return policy.

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
Maybe i'm being overzealous but i suspect after this weekend - big stock drop - and emergency release notes on upcoming new mac book's to keep the numbers going up.

Did you by chance put your money where your mouth is? Since you believe the stock is going to drop tomorrow you should have shorted...

There is press release tomorrow morning ;)

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
plenty in stock around me, and I still dont want one. Maybe next gen will be the kicker. Took 3gens for the iphone to be worthwhile. Maybe it will take 4 for the ipad

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Perhaps a lot of people think there aren't enough changes to justify buying one.

So far the only selling point [commercial] I've seen is showcasing the display. IMHO - the commentator's voice for that commercial is annoying as well.

There was a huge leap from ipad 1 to ipad 2 - minor step up between ipad 2 and ipad 3.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Perhaps a lot of people think there aren't enough changes to justify buying one.

So far the only selling point [commercial] I've seen is showcasing the display. IMHO - the commentator's voice for that commercial is annoying as well.

There was a huge leap from ipad 1 to ipad 2 - minor step up between ipad 2 and ipad 3.

And what huge leap was that? The extra processing power and camera? Not a huge leap in my book. Better, yes. Huge leap, no. I think the new iPad's retina display is what I'd call a huge leap. We've been waiting for this to come to tablets since the iPhone 4. That and 4G LTE support makes it a perfect tablet in my book.....well, I'd like a 128GB option. :)

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
You know when you have a successful product when you have passionate haters like the OP. Only other companies wish they had these kind of of haters!

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

For the link-clicking impaired:

AT&T has issued a brief statement indicating that it set a new single-day record for iPad sales and activations, but stopping short of providing any hard numbers.
On Friday, March 16, AT&T set a new single-day record for its iPad sales and activations, demonstrating robust demand for the new iPad on the nation's largest 4G network, covering nearly 250 million people.

The announcement comes after Apple also said it saw a "record weekend" for the new iPad, which launched on Friday, March 16th.

Neither company has released the exact number of sales or activations.

Dud, indeed.

/troll thread

MotionMan

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I don't understand these posts by the OP since he seems to fix up macs and resell them.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I'm returning 2 of mine due to lack of demand (eBay). But 3 million sold within a week is definitely not 'dud' in my book.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
I'm glad to see all this excess stock if anyting to keep the damn scalpers out of business.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm glad to see all this excess stock if anyting to keep the damn scalpers out of business.

+1

It's the scalpers that most of the time wipe out the initial run of product available at release. It's nice to see this go around the supply was greater than the greed of the scalper!

To the scalpers this release is a DUD plain and simple :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I really didn't appreciate the screen on the new ones until I fired my gen 1 back up to get it ready to sell.

Yikes! Text almost looks unintelligle on websites on it vs the 3rd gen. Wowza.

Oh...and 3,000,000 * $600 (average guess of sales price) = 1.8 BILLION dollars. In three days.

:eek:

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
yes.. a device that has already likely sold millions of units is a dud..

This is a very poor argument. I have no idea as to whether or not the iPad 3 is a dud or not, but sales out of the gate doesn't speak to an item's "dud-ness." It speaks to its hype. The thread isn't questioning the iPad 3's hype.

Daikatana sold a shit-ton of copies, but it was as dud-ly as they come.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
This is a very poor argument. I have no idea as to whether or not the iPad 3 is a dud or not, but sales out of the gate doesn't speak to an item's "dud-ness." It speaks to its hype. The thread isn't questioning the iPad 3's hype.

Daikatana sold a shit-ton of copies, but it was as dud-ly as they come.

Hype + no sales = dud
Hype + sales = success

On April 21, 2000, Daikatana finally reached gold status. It sold 200,000 copies, which Romero claimed made up its production costs.

Yep, shit ton of copies indeed!

/sarcasm

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Hype + no sales = dud
Hype + sales = success

Yep, shit ton of copies indeed!

/sarcasm

Meh, bad example... but I'm just saying that initial sales (especially backed by so much hype) aren't really a good indicator of whether a product is a dud.

I say this from the standpoint that, as a consumer, I would wait until it's baked for a few months before I made any kneejerk reactions based on sales numbers.