Ipad 3rd generation a dud?

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
Wow - man supply > demand for the first time in a while (ipad2/ipad/iphone 4S) - wow. retail stores all over have tons of every model.

What's going on folks? I heard that apple has directed rapid deployment of the new PRO-AIR (13/15) , 17" later this year retina display.

I think we have a dud on our hands.

How many of you saw mad lines and issues picking any model up in a retail store?

Folks in the EU/UK are seeing discounted retail prices on day 1.

Maybe i'm being overzealous but i suspect after this weekend - big stock drop - and emergency release notes on upcoming new mac book's to keep the numbers going up.

Good news - the same A5 (same speed no less) is going be as jailbreak able as the ipad2 (3G/LTE = no SHSH blobs usable like 3G on ipad2) - but that's something good huh?

What say you guys - everything i say here is rumor and based on know facts that i am privy to.

Will i buy one? Sure - so i can get in before they make it non-jb. Gotta use them cisco points :)

Will i buy LTE? heck no i'm going to try the verizon and ATT and see which likes my OG cut down ipad1 3G sim for unlimited 14.4/21mbps 3G's :)

Check out amazon and ebay auctions - wow - this is completely different from the last releases - tons of stock everywhere. even microcenter had bunch of most model/colors.

What have you seen already? Seems like the media is shying away from the truth?

Andrmgic

Jul 6, 2007
yes.. a device that has already likely sold millions of units is a dud..

It was nice being able to walk in and get one.. I think the average consumer might be more interested in an ipad 2 for $100 less.. and have no idea what they are missing out on..

physically it looks exactly the same if they are just passing by it in a store.. and unless they look at it next to an ipad 2 or other tablet, it won't be obvious to a lot of people that it has a much higher resolution.

I got one for myself and one for my mother.. all I had to do to demonstrate the display was go to apple.com and zoom in on the picture of the hand touching the ipad.. the level of detail visible in that image is stunning, particularly on a high resolution display like the new ipad has..

Captured this from my home screen.. I think it does a good job of illustrating the resolution and detail the display is capable of..

http://minus.com/mbbDXc54BY#1f

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Wow - man supply > demand for the first time in a while (ipad2/ipad/iphone 4S) - wow. retail stores all over have tons of every model.

What's going on folks? I heard that apple has directed rapid deployment of the new PRO-AIR (13/15) , 17" later this year retina display.

How many of you saw mad lines and issues picking any model up in a retail store?

Folks in the EU/UK are seeing discounted retail prices on day 1.

Maybe i'm being overzealous but i suspect after this weekend - big stock drop - and emergency release notes on upcoming new mac book's to keep the numbers going up.

Good news - the same A5 (same speed no less) is going be as jailbreak able as the ipad2 (3G/LTE = no SHSH blobs usable like 3G on ipad2) - but that's something good huh?

What say you guys - everything i say here is rumor and based on know facts that i am privy to.

Will i buy one? Sure - so i can get in before they make it non-jb. Gotta use them cisco points :)

Will i buy LTE? heck no i'm going to try the verizon and ATT and see which likes my OG cut down ipad1 3G sim for unlimited 14.4/21mbps 3G's :)

Check out amazon and ebay auctions - wow - this is completely different from the last releases - tons of stock everywhere. even microcenter had bunch of most model/colors.

I don't know if it's a dud or not, what I do know is you hit the ENTER key a lot.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Paraphrasing Andrmgic, what matters is not whether you have to wait in line to buy one, but how many Apple actually sells. And since I'm guessing you don't have access to the sales figures at the moment, I'm guessing that we'll just have to wait and see before making assumptions.

Super56K

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2004
The thing to remember is that there were no online pre-orders for last year's iPad 2. So anyone who wanted one right away had to brave the stores to get the first launch units. This release was surprisingly smooth with online pre-orders starting from the day of the event.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
My FedEx driver said their location alone had 5000 units over their normal volume yesterday. Plus the sales started at 8 AM this year compared to 5 PM last year. Apple was definitely prepared this time and produced a ton of the new iPads in preparation for the launch.

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
It's 100% sold out in my area now :(

I was wanting to wait for reviews and to actually see one to know if it is worth the $$ to upgrade from my iPad 1. I'll have to wait a few weeks I guess.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
It's 100% sold out in my area now :(

I was wanting to wait for reviews and to actually see one to know if it is worth the $$ to upgrade from my iPad 1. I'll have to wait a few weeks I guess.
You will have better chance getting one at your local Apple store. Check with the sales associates and go there early in the morning and the iPad can be had.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You've always been able to saunter in to an apple store on launch day without a preorder for basically anything, because they always produce enough to have way more than preorders. Did it for the iPad 1, did it for the iPhone 4 (although that still required waiting in line)....and did it again for the iPad 3. In and out in 5 minutes.

HomerSapien

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2000
Local Walmart had about 20 in stock.

Personally, I dont think I is a big enough jump in tech and only a year after ipad2. I just can't afford one of these every year.

I do think they will sell a ton of them

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
I'm kicking myself a little cuz I needed a couple more iPads only days before release and I bought iPad 2's based on my expectation of massive demand, and didn't want to hang on for weeks after release.

Still, I've never used the rear camera and since they'll be basically glorified remotes I don't really care about the retina display. But yeah, if I knew from the outset I could get it without throwing myself through a scrum, then sure I'd have waited a few days...

Last edited:

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I'm kicking myself a little cuz I needed a couple more iPads only days before release and I bought iPad 2's based on my expectation of massive demand, and didn't want to hang on for weeks after release.

Still, I've never used the rear camera and since they'll be basically glorified remotes I don't really care about the retina display. But yeah, if I knew from the outset I could get it without throwing myself through a scrum, then sure I'd have waited a few days...

Why can you not return the iPad2s if you only bought them a few days/couple weeks ago?

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

Well-trolled, sir. Well-trolled.

MotionMan

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
Why can you not return the iPad2s if you only bought them a few days/couple weeks ago?

MotionMan

We don't have your return policies - 'changed mind' returns are only possible if it's new or broken - but having said that, I'm sure I could at least have a go and who knows, Apple might auth it but I can't be bothered now.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
We don't have your return policies - 'changed mind' returns are only possible if it's new or broken - but having said that, I'm sure I could at least have a go and who knows, Apple might auth it but I can't be bothered now.

Who is "we"?

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
We as in AT-apple sub. We can't read his store's return policy.

From apple I'm pretty sure theyll take the return.

WTF? My question was who is the "we" mentioned by vbuggy? Your comment does not answer that question in any way.

MotionMan