IOS 6.1 GM out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
You lost 7% overnight on your iPad? That is a lot! I lose maybe 2-3% overnight when it's sitting idle. Although, my iPad lost a ton of battery power when it sat there on the recovery screen. I think I started the update with it at ~80% battery power, and I had 34% when I checked it this morning.

I'm not 100% sure whether 26% sounds like a lot as I don't know how long you spent, but I'm at 89% after about 7 hours, and I've watched a video, remoted into my desktop, played a game, browsed the web, etc.

Please re-read what I wrote :p

On my iPad, I lost 7% from 1 hour of continuous use on WiFi reading Flipboard, ATF, FB, watching some YT... I don't think that's a lot.

The first 3% were lost during a bit of evening reading (20 mins?) before hitting the sack the day before, the iOS upgrade and 8 hours of idle time.

I left for work with the iPad at 90%.

26% in 12 hours of medium use looks normal for me. That's just over 2% an hour. I forgot to mention a 45 minute conference call was included. The phone's at 69% now after another 30 minutes worth of talking and some more emails (all on 3G). So in the last 4 hours I lost 5%, 1.25% an hour - looks normal to me.

EDIT: My iPad is at 89% now. 1% in 16 hours of idle.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I updated my iPhone 5, and 6.1 is working fine. Although, I can't say the same thing about the new carrier settings that it asked me to download. For some reason, my phone keeps dropping from LTE to 3G for no apparent reason even though my signal strength was high (3-5 bars). :| Last time, I turned it to airplane mode to get LTE back, but I didn't wait long. This time, I left it alone, and LTE came back.

I'm wondering if the carrier settings are designed to drop LTE connectivity if you're idle for too long. My only thought is that Verizon wants to keep their LTE stations from becoming too saturated (LTE is limited to 200 connections per station per 5Mhz). Since my max transfer speed is only 20Mbps, I'm assuming that Verizon only implemented a 5Mhz setup here. Although, thinking about it more... the phone may be dropping LTE to avoid wasting battery power keeping it active. The iPhone has to keep a CDMA connection active at all times or else you can't receive calls or (non-iMessage) texts, and if you have LTE enabled, it also has to keep that connection active as well.

In other words... go go, VoLTE!

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
I think I will move on from 5.1, had some apps that wouldn't run on pre 6. As long as the jailbreak is not problematic.