IOS 6.1 GM out

footballrunner800

Jan 28, 2008
Supposibly this is the version the devs were waiting to release the jailbreak. Save your SHSH blobs and update through iTunes if you are interested in jail breaking later on.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Dling it for my 5 but probably wont do it for my 4 as the last update made it slow as molasses.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Dling it for my 5 but probably wont do it for my 4 as the last update made it slow as molasses.
I find most of the slow downs are major updates. eg. 4->5, not the point updates. I'm cautiously optimistic iOS 6.1 won't be significantly slower than iOS 6.0.

Supposibly this is the version the devs were waiting to release the jailbreak. Save your SHSH blobs and update through iTunes if you are interested in jail breaking later on.
One can only hope this means the Apple TV 3 is a real step closer to a jailbreak.

I kinda want to get another Apple TV for use with FireCore ATVFlash, but no way in Hades am I paying $200-300 for a Craigslist Apple TV 2.

P.S. I assume this doesn't work for the iPhone, but right now you can restore an iOS 6 Apple TV 2 to iOS 5. Apple is still signing iOS 5 for this.

Last edited:

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Installing it on my 4S. I'll let you know if my phone sucks all the sudden when it's done.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Installing it on my 4S. I'll let you know if my phone sucks all the sudden when it's done.
If the speed doesn't suck more than 6.0, I'll install it on my wife's iPhone 4.

Apple TV 2 to get 6.1 jailbreak.

https://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/295862004965584896

Apple TV 3 still left out in the cold.

The $200-300 used Apple TV 2 market will continue to exist. :(
Sweet. iOS 6.1 / ATV software 5.2 finally adds Bluetooth keyboard support.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/28/apple...support-up-next-enhanced-itunes-in-the-cloud/

So, there's actually a reason to update to 6.1/5.2 on the Apple TV 2, once the jailbreak and updated ATVFlash are available that is.

EDIT:

Even better:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/28...etooth-keyboard-new-appletv32-model-revealed/

- iTunes in the Cloud: Browse and play your purchased iTunes music directly from iCloud.
- Bluetooth keyboard: Use your Apple Wireless Keyboard to control your Apple TV. See this article for more information.
- AirPlay audio for videos: Send stereo audio from movies, TV shows, and other videos on Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs).
- Stability and performance: Includes performance and stability improvements with the iTunes Store, AirPlay, Netflix, iTunes Match, and wired Ethernet connections.

I would actually have use for AirPlay audio like this, assuming it works on jailbroken Apple TVs with 3rd party players. But even if just Netflix worked that would be good.

Last edited:

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
great, upgraded mine from 6.0.1 to 6.1 last night assuming the battery drain problems were resolved...

NOT, took off charger @ 100% @ 1am and woke up around 7am with my battery sitting @ 83%.

Now I hope iCloud has more then my latest backup from last night so I can restore this POS.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, after a power cycle & a fresh recharge it seems my battery is acting normal again, will know after today.

Last edited:

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Haven't seen any change in my 4S since I updated it yesterday evening. I bumped up my wife's iPod Touch 4G to iOS 6.1 also, I'm waiting for her to let me know how it acts.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Updated my iPad (4th Gen) and my wife's mini last night. Super smoooooth upgrade. Both devices are backed up to the cloud and used OTA update.

Nothing really big about this update, but I do like that you can download individual songs from iTunes Match now.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nothing really big about this update, but I do like that you can download individual songs from iTunes Match now.

And delete individual files instead of your whole downloaded library.

What were they thinking removing that functionality in the first place!

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Sonofabitch

I did the OTA update yesterday for no good reason at all. Now I cant JB?

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
I found about zero reasons to go to 6.1 from my kickin-ass & screamin like cheetahs, 5.1 on my iPad2.

Thanks apple, but no thanks.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ugh, the update failed on iTunes and now my device is stuck in recovery mode. I don't want to recover it because then I lose all my data! :| Well, I can obviously restore it, but then it takes a billion years copying 55GB of data back to the iPad.

...and yes... I realize you can just update using the device itself. However, after hearing reports of higher battery usage after updating, I wanted to see what results I would get through an iTunes update. I guess I don't care much for the results. :(

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Updated my 4S yesterday using the built in option (I hate iTunes). Took the phone off the charger 12 hours ago, I'm down to 74% with some reading on Flipboard, 2 app updates, a few emails and some FB, all on 3G.

No battery problems here.

Updated my iPad2 yesterday too, used it for ~1 hour in the morning, was down around 7% (to 90%, lost 3% during a bit of evening reading, OS update and the whole night idle). No battery problems either.

So far so good - though I don't really see any changes apart from the double tap player on the lock screen :awe: Smooth as silk still :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You lost 7% overnight on your iPad? That is a lot! I lose maybe 2-3% overnight when it's sitting idle. Although, my iPad lost a ton of battery power when it sat there on the recovery screen. I think I started the update with it at ~80% battery power, and I had 34% when I checked it this morning.

I'm not 100% sure whether 26% sounds like a lot as I don't know how long you spent, but I'm at 89% after about 7 hours, and I've watched a video, remoted into my desktop, played a game, browsed the web, etc.