Interview question time.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
How might you answer the following questions:

1. Tell me about yourself:

2. Why should I hire you?

3. What do you have that no-one else can bring?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
1. I'm better then you
2. I'm can do your job
3. Competence

Did I get hired :awe:

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
1. I used to work for the Post Office but I rarely get enraged anymore, the therapy sessions really helped and only occasionally do I hear voices inside my head now.

2. You don't want to say no to me.

3. A fully automatic AK47.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
(ATOT - I'm actually getting ready to DO some hiring and sort of wanted to see what the average techminded folk answer these plain-jane ordinary interview questions.)

4. What is your greatest weakness? I've got a doozy answer for that one, and a hell of a question for interviewers (when I'm job seeking)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I've been through 10ish interviews in my life and have yet to be asked that question. I think they're starting to tire of it.
Well good, b/c that question sucks.

I was asked that in an interview about 2 years ago.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You won't really get anything good out of those questions - everyone has boring, safe answers ready for them.

IMO, you're much better off asking behavioral questions that force the interviewee to think a little bit and (hopefully) react off the cuff. Here's a huge list of behavioral interview questions that you can look at.

My favourite, however, is not listed. It's this. Ask the person's name, verify some basic details, and then say, "What would you say if I told you that the interview was over and that we were not interested in pursuing you as a candidate for this position any longer?"

There's varying shades of correctness, but the answer I like the most is the one where the interviewee says they'd be surprised and would like to inquire as to what went wrong so that at the least they could correct the error in their next interview with someone else.

Fun little question, really puts people on the spot.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
"Sometimes I try too hard." :awe:

I read an article about how if employers actually DO ask that question, they're looking for a real weakness... and more importantly that you've recognized it as a weakness and have tried to work on it. They use it to find out if you're a natural adapter to natural challenges, and that you can recognize and overcome problems you face.

Example: My biggest weakness is that I don't ask enough questions and assume I'll figure it out myself, when really I would save time just asking somebody.

-And how are you working on that?

By asking more questions when something doesn't immediately click. When working with a team we all collaborate and everybody asks questions. I make a conscious effort to make sure everything is clear to me as the team works better that way.

Canned answers like yours don't get the jobs anymore, they get a tired eye roll and a resume in the garbage... I mean I figure you're kidding, but it's still good to know about.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
My best question/answer:

Interviewer: So, what brought you to DC?

Me: An airplane [in my head, I just gave myself a high-five and shouted hey-Ohh!]

Interviewer wasn't quite as impressed with my wit as I was.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
4. What is your greatest weakness?

Get ready for that one.

4. To be honest, my greatest weakness is acting upon the urge to make up some bullshit weakness and accompanying story on how I turned that weakness into an advantage with my previous employment tenures just to satisfy this particular interview question.