Interesting op-ed on CNN......."Our Fragile President"

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
This op-ed on CNN would go a long way to explaining who/what Trump is all about......

Our fragile President

The fiction that Donald Trump is a "counter-puncher" is getting a workout as his defenders try to justify the President's attacks on everyone from US Rep. Adam Schiff ("little Adam Schitt") to the special counsel Robert Mueller ("gone absolutely nuts.") The myth holds that Trump is a tough guy who fights back. In fact, he is a fragile man running out of safe places to hide.

Like so much about Trump, the counter-puncher theme is a clever marketing ploy used to obscure obvious flaws. In the past he promoted himself as a business titan to cover the shame of multiple massive bankruptcies. Today, as a politician, he poses as a victim when he's actually a frightened bully. No one is ever on equal footing with the President of the United States, which means that whenever he "punches" anyone, he lowers himself.

Who does Trump fear? He fears the independent counsel, whose investigation of Russia's interference in the 2016 election threatens to expose the inner workings of the campaign and of Trump's opaque business empire. He fears Schiff and other House Democrats he's belittled because they will soon chair powerful committees that will launch their own investigations into Trump's administration and, perhaps, his long-hidden tax returns.

The President's insecurities all seem to revolve around his fear of being unmasked as a fraud. The tax returns, for example, would allow everyone to compare his claims to great wealth -- in 2015 he said he was worth $10 billion -- with black-and-white reality. More to the point, we could all see how he has benefited from various tax maneuvers and discover just how much corporate welfare the Trump Organization has lapped up over the years.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/opinions/trump-is-our-fragile-president-dantonio/index.html

Reactions: Thump553

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
CNN published an anti-Trump opinion piece? Holy shit.

It's just your Lord & Savior being persecuted by the enemy of the People. You should be used to it by now. It won't affect your devotion at all. I wonder if Trump has groupies, like deadheads, who follow him from rally to rally...

Part of the reason his old lies don't catch up to him as fast as they should is because he makes up new ones all the time. The bigly-est lies.

Reactions: nickqt and maevinj

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
It's just your Lord & Savior being persecuted by the enemy of the People. You should be used to it by now. It won't affect your devotion at all. I wonder if Trump has groupies, like deadheads, who follow him from rally to rally...

Part of the reason his old lies don't catch up to him as fast as they should is because he makes up new ones all the time. The bigly-est lies.

Wrong! It's going to make Trumphumpers like Slow cling ever harder to that big, orange anchor in the White House. As far as Trump groupies, yes and they're called Whiteheads. ;)

They're just like the real thing; squeeze them and all kinds of crap pops out.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Trump is one of those cowards that punches down, only attacks people he knows he will get away with it, but is afraid to attack people on equal or higher footing than him. He is not strong, he does not fight back, he is afraid of people like Putin or MBS who would punk him. His actions are show how weak of a leader he is and how weak of a negotiator he is.

Reactions: Meghan54

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Cadet Bone Spurs would have never survived boot camp, let alone combat.

And he knew it.

I'm not so sure about that. I've read in his younger years he enjoyed baseball quite a lot, with people saying he was good enough to have even played professionally. While that is of course subjective hearsay, it leads me to think his multiple deferments were the result of cowardice and no sense of patriotism, rather than physical inability.

I imagine boot camp would have been easy for someone who was already "trained more than the military."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm not so sure about that. I've read in his younger years he enjoyed baseball quite a lot, with people saying he was good enough to have even played professionally. While that is of course subjective hearsay, it leads me to think his multiple deferments were the result of cowardice and no sense of patriotism, rather than physical inability.

I imagine boot camp would have been easy for someone who was already "trained more than the military."

You would be wrong.

The two purposes of basic training are teamwork and discipline. Donald is too flaky and lazy and self-centered and self-absorbed to survive.
I know, I saw several men like that when I was there. Its NOT about being tough. Its about getting past your own bullshit, and the average 18 year old can do it. Most of the 30 year old could do it.
The selfish childish assholes could not.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Just pick the tweets from any day, EVER, and it's immediately obvious, even to a blind man, that the concept of self-discipline is foreign to him.

I have no doubt that daddy's dollars would've gotten him a commission, and I can imagine any Marine that would ever follow one of his orders.

I can see it now...

"Sgt shoot that person!"

"Sir, fuck you Sir."

Ever heard of the Mỹ Lai Massacre ?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've long been of the mindset that Trump is forever a 10-year-old brat trying to prove he's a grown-up. He wants to convince the entire planet that he can do everything, that he has a large fortune he earned by himself. And being a 10-year-old brat, proving he's good enough means putting other people down.

In that view, his worst nightmare is people learning the truth: that he's still that 10-year-old child. That he only really got wealthy because of daddy and tax fraud, and that he's not worth as much as he says he is. The whole artifice of Trump, the most grown-up grown-up that ever grew up, collapses.

If the Democrats subpoena Trump's taxes and successfully reveal something meaningful, don't be surprised if Trump goes nuclear. The only thing he hates more than Mueller is the thought of someone exposing him as the spoiled boy he is.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

It's the mental part.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just pick the tweets from any day, EVER, and it's immediately obvious, even to a blind man, that the concept of self-discipline is foreign to him.

I have no doubt that daddy's dollars would've gotten him a commission, and I can imagine any Marine that would ever follow one of his orders.

I can see it now...

"Sgt shoot that person!"

"Sir, fuck you Sir."

Would be fragging material in Nam.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I still love the the irony of Trump fans calling people "NPCs" when they mindlessly accept everything a demagogue says at face value, reality be damned.

Intelligent people question authority, including the authority they normally support. You never question Trump's authority.
and he excuses all of Trump's lies. I've yet to get an answer if Trump knew Whitaker.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You would be wrong.

The two purposes of basic training are teamwork and discipline. Donald is too flaky and lazy and self-centered and self-absorbed to survive.
I know, I saw several men like that when I was there. Its NOT about being tough. Its about getting past your own bullshit, and the average 18 year old can do it. Most of the 30 year old could do it.
The selfish childish assholes could not.

Opinion noted. Who said it was about being tough? It may be germane to mention that our Armed Forces have been used for a long time as 'punishment' for unruly and/or selfish kids, or those who can opt out of prison for certain transgressions. Still is. I know quite a few fuck ups that got a Marine Corps/Army "re-alignment" in their earlier years, and for the most part they are all now mature, law abiding non-assholes. They didn't have the benefit of opulent wealth. He's not really a billionaire but defintely a millionaire. Rich, just not Bezos or Putin rich. My examples all hail from the middle class and are still there.

If you read into Trump's time as a military cadet, I think you will find he did appreciate the concept of chain of command, he reveled in the masculinity of military-like duty. It meshed well with his bully personality, but then there is dispute over some of his record. Also germane to my post is that I'm referring to the Trump of 50+ years ago, not the imperious moron and coward we see today. Once his father was gone, he cranked the dipshit to 11.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I can see it now...

"Sgt shoot that person!"

"Sir, fuck you Sir."

Now you're acting like I said Trump would make a good soldier? Dude, c'mon.

Last edited: