Intel to Supply Apple with Special High-End Haswell Processors for MacBook Pro [MacRu

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
What if you remove the battery and run it on a power adapter, will it suddenly shut off?

2008 is a LONG time ago ;)

I wouldn't dare attempt to remove the battery from my rPro anyway as the batteries are glued in.

I can tell you from experience that under extremely high load, the 2012 rMBP does in fact consume more power than its power adapter provides.

The battery drains slowly when connected to a power source, but it does drain.

I've noticed this as well, from 100% I've gone down to 93% under full load, nothing overly major or alerting.

From my experience under bootcamp I'm able to clock my 650M to 1100MHz core and 1450MHz memory at stock voltage with no instability or ridiculous temperature spikes under high load. I hope for the 15 inch Apple sticks with NVIDIA for CUDAs sake but using these special high end Haswell processors for the 13 inch to get it's GPU capabilities up to scratch. It will also be interesting to see if the 13 inch gets a quad core SKU, how unlikely would that be?

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Sony consistently screws up their products. They are very nice but what I've noticed about their products.

1 ... 4
5. Try upgrading Windows, or running Linux. Sure, other OEMs don't always support everything, but Sony always seems to be even worse, with reference driver incompatibilities and the like making it impossible, or so frustrating that it'd be better if it were impossible. Like Creative, they make good products for the here and now, but not for 2+ years down the road, when every other OEM's stuff can be brought up to date, if possibly needing a new NIC or something.

mavere

Mar 2, 2005
I hope for the 15 inch Apple sticks with NVIDIA for CUDAs sake but using these special high end Haswell processors for the 13 inch to get it's GPU capabilities up to scratch. It will also be interesting to see if the 13 inch gets a quad core SKU, how unlikely would that be?

With the IVB-EP Mac Pros prominently switching to dual Firepros, I don't see Nvidia and CUDA getting a spot anywhere in the OSX lineup until at least Haswell-EP. It doesn't make sense for Apple to introduce architectural "disagreements" between its highest end desktop and everything else. Furthermore, it'd be extra incentive for Adobe et al to finally reach OpenCL feature parity. In the long run, vendor agnosticism benefits all.

Realistically, leaks and educated guesses suggest that the 13" rMBP will be using 28W dual cores with Iris 5100. The cooling system can do 35W, so let's hope for some good binning with 20+% clock bumps. At the very least, we'll be seeing MBA-level idle power, as the chips are ULT.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Apple's most popular notebook is the 13" Macbook Pro. I bet the 13" retina is more popular then the 15" and Apple wants good GPU power.

Haswell is a very hot chip!

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Removing the GPU means you can get more space/less weight and less battery drain. So you can either use it to make it slimmer, slimmer and longer battery or just plain longer battery. The middle option is usually what apple likes. Cost benefit is secondary for apple.

Yeah, for some reason they could only fit 1GB of video memory in there. But running a GPU on DDR3 is just stupid for a pro machine.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
With the IVB-EP Mac Pros prominently switching to dual Firepros, I don't see Nvidia and CUDA getting a spot anywhere in the OSX lineup until at least Haswell-EP. It doesn't make sense for Apple to introduce architectural "disagreements" between its highest end desktop and everything else. Furthermore, it'd be extra incentive for Adobe et al to finally reach OpenCL feature parity. In the long run, vendor agnosticism benefits all.

Exactly. Apple is killing CUDA, just like they killed Flash. And good riddance to both.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
They will only kill their own sells. Flash was easy, because there was no alternative to iOS. But Cuda? They will switch to a windows notebook. Especially when nVidia has the much better hardware than AMD or Intel. Their notebook cards offers much more performance and the K6000 is killing everything on the market when it comes to compute performance: It has more DP performance than AMD's S10000!

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
They will only kill their own sells. Flash was easy, because there was no alternative to iOS. But Cuda? They will switch to a windows notebook. Especially when nVidia has the much better hardware than AMD or Intel. Their notebook cards offers much more performance and the K6000 is killing everything on the market when it comes to compute performance: It has more DP performance than AMD's S10000!

wait wat

8970 is worlds fastest notebook GPU (AMD doesn't have anything nearly as good as optimus, but 8970 is fastest)

AMD S10000 has 1.48TFLOPS DP and 5.91TFLOPS single
K6000 has ~1.4TFLOPS DP, so unless Nvidia decides to round 1.49 down to 1.4, that's less... also only 5.2TFLOPS single

dude do you know how numbers work

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Yes, the lack of Team Green will really have Apple devotees dumping it in droves! :thumbsdown:

Seriously, the thing that puts me off the new Mac Pro is the design- a non-upgradeable workstation? No thankyou! In the <1 year I've had my current workstation, I've swapped out the graphics cards about 4 times, upgraded the RAM and chucked out a broken sound card (good old Sound Blaster). Sacrificing that capability just so I can have a computer that looks like a dustbin makes no sense.

(And no, Thunderbolt is not a replacement.)

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
wait wat

8970 is worlds fastest notebook GPU (AMD doesn't have anything nearly as good as optimus, but 8970 is fastest)

"Worlds fastest notebook GPU" and then only a second place? D:
http://translate.google.ca/translat...eck.com/Test-AMD-Radeon-HD-8970M.97609.0.html

AMD S10000 has 1.48TFLOPS DP and 5.91TFLOPS single
K6000 has ~1.4TFLOPS DP, so unless Nvidia decides to round 1.49 down to 1.4, that's less... also only 5.2TFLOPS single
1,732GFLOPs with DP:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/l...raphicssolutions-linecard-july13-final-lr.pdf

In the worst case this is even more than new Mac Pro will offering if Apple is only using two custom W9000 cards.

dude do you know how numbers work
I guess not...

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
This thread is about the macbook. Not the mac pro. Nobody cares about the AMD vs intel nonsense, stop.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
Yes, the lack of Team Green will really have Apple devotees dumping it in droves! :thumbsdown:

Seriously, the thing that puts me off the new Mac Pro is the design- a non-upgradeable workstation? No thankyou! In the <1 year I've had my current workstation, I've swapped out the graphics cards about 4 times, upgraded the RAM and chucked out a broken sound card (good old Sound Blaster). Sacrificing that capability just so I can have a computer that looks like a dustbin makes no sense.

If you've read into the new Mac Pro you will know that it is user serviceable. The RAM, CPU, SSD and potentially, though very unlikely, the GPUs are upgradable.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
TFLOPS isn't a good metric. Consistently we have seen this generation that on a per TFLOP basis nvidia is slightly ahead of AMD. Nvidia also seems to get a little more out of their bandwidth too.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

In a professional shop, you don't 'upgrade' things. That isn't cost effective, and adds downtime. Tinkering doesn't earn any money at all. To keep your uptime maxxed, you swap out machines every 3-4 years. Repurpose or sell the old machines. And with Apple's resale value it works out pretty cheap.

Further, all of your production needs to be stored on an independent NAS. If a machine goes down, plug in another and just keep going. Much better than hoping the work on internal drives is OK. Swapping parts out to a new machine, or repairing the old one during production time.

Nothing wrong with being a tinkerer, or a hobbyist. It's a great deal of fun. But keep your work at work, and your tinkering at home.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
In a professional shop, you don't 'upgrade' things. That isn't cost effective, and adds downtime. Tinkering doesn't earn any money at all. To keep your uptime maxxed, you swap out machines every 3-4 years. Repurpose or sell the old machines. And with Apple's resale value it works out pretty cheap.

Further, all of your production needs to be stored on an independent NAS. If a machine goes down, plug in another and just keep going. Much better than hoping the work on internal drives is OK. Swapping parts out to a new machine, or repairing the old one during production time.

Nothing wrong with being a tinkerer, or a hobbyist. It's a great deal of fun. But keep your work at work, and your tinkering at home.

When we need to support multiple different GPU configs and want to either a) test out latest features or b) profile performance on specific platforms then yes, "tinkering" is necessary. When your sound card craps out and you want to just fall back to on-board sound, yanking it is easier than waiting for a Dell engineer to come out to the site (one takes a few hours, the other takes 10 minutes). And okay, the RAM was an indulgence- we just had some spare after upgrading one of the servers with higher capacity DIMMs (to increase the number of VMs it could sustain).

And no, I don't keep all my work on a NAS- we have a source control system on a thoroughly backed up SAN. Anything on a dev-box must by its nature be disposable, anything we need preserved goes into SCM or the (small) network drive- but not everything needs preserved.