Intel to AMD when replacing a old Dell

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I currently have a Dell Latitude E5470 with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.50 GHz
It's getting past its sell-by date, with even the case cracking and pieces falling off.
Looking at Microcenter (I have one locally)
I see things with I5, and Ryzen 7, and I'm not up on the cpu's to compare them fairly.

I'm looking at under $1000 machines and in there I'm seeing things like

• I5 1135G7 from Lenovo in an Ideapad 3i
  • Ryzen 7 4600H from HP in a OMEN
  • Ryzen 7 5700U from Dell in an Inspiron
  • Ryzen 7 5800H from Asus in a TUF Gaming
  • i7 10750H from MSI in a referb GL75 Leopard
Now I5 < I7 in general, but where does that fit with the Ryzen 7, and the various 46,57,58 series? I.e. if they were all the same price same features. Which CPU is the most bang for the $$? Along with that, I've been using Dell Latitudes for a long time, but not a fan of their machines in the last few years. IF all the same, which brand is likely to give the bang for the $$?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
this is currently $795 on delloutlet

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Processor (8 Core, Up to 4.2GHz, 12MB Cache, 45W)
Windows 10 Home
256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive
16GB (2X8GB) Up to 3200MHz DDR4 SoDIMM Non-ECC
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Wide View Angle Anti-Glare 120Hz 250-nits LED-Backlit Non-Touch Narrow Border Display
AMD Radeon RX 5600M 6GB GDDR6

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Bang for buck based on your criteria, is the Ryzen 5800H, hands down. It is the fastest mobile part on that list. Given you have been using a 2core/4thread laptop for so long, anything above is a massive upgrade.

Bang for buck brand is a moving target. And can vary even within that brand. Laptops are something important to check reviews of the actual models you are looking at. Some things you can obviously tell from the demo model in the showroom though. Flex, materials used, keyboard feel, screen quality, I/O, size and weight.

Based on your list, I'd buy the Asus. But that outlet deal posted above, is a lot of laptop for the money. Gaming laptops tend to have better cooling and build quality, and consequently, tend to be heavier and bulkier too.

Reactions: mike8675309

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Thanks for the feedback.
Pulled the trigger on the Dell G5 after looking at reviews between that and the Asus Tufbook.
Big factor for me was the 15" screen size on the Dell and the review comment on battery life. In reviews, they both have their downsides, which is typical for this price level.
Went with the 512GB SSD version and they are giving free 2-day shipping right now.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I've had the G5 up and running since the 26th, but tonight during a virus scan it rebooted. Dell Assist came up and it failed on memory checks. So they will be shipping me a box, so I can ship them the machine and they can replace the memory then ship it back. sigh.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I've had the G5 up and running since the 26th, but tonight during a virus scan it rebooted. Dell Assist came up and it failed on memory checks. So they will be shipping me a box, so I can ship them the machine and they can replace the memory then ship it back. sigh.
Bummer. I had a G7 and it never gave me any trouble. Seems like Dell's quality slips more every year now.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
And here we go. Got an email from the depot. don't have parts to fix it at the moment.
The part(s) needed to repair your system are currently unavailable. We are working to minimize the delay. In most cases, the parts will be available in less than 5 days.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I called dell on the 28th to find out what was going on. I was able to talk to someone who was able to dig into things and find out that it's the mainboard in the laptop that needs to be replaced. But apparently, there is some issue getting the board.

On the 30th I got an e-mail from Self_Dispatch at Dell stating:

This is to inform you regarding the delay in Service for your system, due to an unprecedented situation causing Parts Backlog.

Currently, we don’t have an ETA. As a result, we are offering a system exchange.

Kindly let us know if you are will to wait for an ETA or would you like to proceed with a system exchange

They mentioned about a system exchange so I checked the outlet and gave them 2 links to similar systems currently on the outlet.

Then Dec 31st I got this email reply.

Thank you for the confirmation.

We have initiated the process of system exchange from our side.

Our exchange team will contact you regarding further details on the system model, specification, Service tag etc. At that time if you are not ready to take the offered system, you can deny the process as well.

So far no other contact.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Turned out to be a mainboard failure, and that took forever to get one to replace the problem. In fact on the day I got an email saying my machine shipped, I also received an email that they were ready to replace my machine with another one. In the end, I just got my machine back that was repaired, the replacement machine was canceled!