Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 622 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I'm willing to give the leaker the benefit of the doubt, at least until some other body of evidence shows him to be wrong. Nobody has shown power numbers yet. If he has a leaky-as-hell ES (which would explain the low voltage) and a water setup using something like one or more MO-RA3s (or hell an old copper auto radiator) then yeah he could be dumping 400-500W of power from the chip while still keeping temps relatively low. It is possible.

Versus chilled water, for example. If he's using a chiller then it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

This. I believe the results, i would be surprised if they turned out fake. But its almost 100 percent thanks to several factors in play, like golden chip and some serious watercooling setup in action. Surely you wont get the same results trying the same with a retail chip at home running run of the mill 240mm AiO.

BTW, people seem to think, that if OCed 7900x was difficult to cool, 7980xe will be borderline impossible (without LN2). While it may sound logical, its probably very likely not to be true - and these results are the first glimpse to show that. I recall 5960x clocking pretty much as high as 4-core Haswell chips, so IMO its more about the underlying chip design/process for the current generation, rather than number of cores. Similarly, I could OC my 6850K to 4,2Ghz max (on acceptable voltages) - now i am not accomplished overclocker, so perhaps someone more skilled could get out of it more, but from i could gather, its IMO safe to say, the 6950x with 4 more cores did not on average clock that much worse overall.... This could be similar case.

Reactions: IEC

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
What? Water is H2O. Are you really going to argue about that?

I AM..

On my rack you can clearly see the differences between AIO (which 90% of people call "Water") vs a REAL water...

Top:
2mee1d4.jpg

AIO:
30rqreh.jpg

Real Water:
2s97syu.jpg

Dont tell me you clearly dont see the difference?

Reactions: pcp7 and Timmah!

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I AM..

On my rack you can clearly see the differences between AIO (which 90% of people call "Water") vs a REAL water...

Top:
2mee1d4.jpg

AIO:
30rqreh.jpg

Real Water:
2s97syu.jpg

Dont tell me you clearly dont see the difference?

It's be easier to tell if they weren't sideways, jeeze.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009

It makes you wonder about the seriousness of Intel and AMD, releasing chipsets with only one letter difference. X370 and Z370, seriously? Have they hired 10 year olds for the naming of their products?

I mean not only is it quite easy to get confused, if you have a lower score than 9000 in tech savviness, but Z is literally next to the X in the standard English keyboard most people use. All it needs is a mistype in order to purchase the wrong item.

Imagine your shinny new mobo and cpu arriving and trying to figure out why the cpu won't fit.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
It makes you wonder about the seriousness of Intel and AMD, releasing chipsets with only one letter difference. X370 and Z370, seriously? Have they hired 10 year olds for the naming of their products?

You should ask AMD. Intel is just following their known lineup, it's AMD with a copy and paste from Intels naming scheme. Intel can't even bring their B350 for CFL because it has been stolen from AMD already. It's a typical AMD strategy, they are hoping that the known Intel SKU naming scheme or board branding names increases their sales.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
You should ask AMD. Intel is just following their known lineup, it's AMD with a copy and paste from Intels naming scheme. Intel can't even bring their B350 for CFL because it has been stolen from AMD already. It's a typical AMD strategy, they are hoping that the known Intel SKU naming scheme or board branding names increases their sales.

Well they shouldn't do that. They have good products now and this silliness should be avoided. You don't follow yellow kiosk marketing policies if you do not want to be perceived as a yellow kiosk, anyway.

Intel can call their B350 as B350i. xD

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Versus chilled water, for example. If he's using a chiller then it's a whole 'nother ballgame.
Chilled water doesn't usually make any significant change in top overclocks. You really need to go subzero to see a difference.

Reactions: Pick2

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
South Korea uses the metric system so it's 20c lol. It'll be absurd for a Korean to revert degrees Fahrenheit on a Korean forum. All one needs to do is look at idle temps from previous posts to get a clue about ambient temps. TahoeDust even corroborated the temp data with his own experience on a 7820x chip. Also, I thought competition was what we all wanted all along? Seems like some people don't want to buy a 32core Epyc chip for $1,000.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Temps seems to be very good, the power and especially the Motherboard VRM implementation is the only consairn in full AVX loads. In other loads the new 18 Core die seems to be much better than the 10 Core die.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
No LED on the rad, 0/10 :p

DOE your right... my real watercooling setup loses -10000 points from lack of bling... :oops:

[
What rad and fans are these?
PS Like the logo on the AIO waterblock :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/Airflow-Adju...1504723114&sr=1-3&keywords=aigo+rgb+led+120mm

TBH there not GT's nor Noctua.... but they arent that bad.... its not something i would use in a performance build, but they are blingy as heck and good lighting fans if you need that.

Seriously, what is up with the LEDs?

LOL.... boards these days are insane.... when i saw my Aorus G9 light up all pretty like that, i was like WOAH.... we went a long way from the old days when the only LED we had was the motherboard jumper code diagnostic LED shooting code numbers.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
South Korea uses the metric system so it's 20c lol. It'll be absurd for a Korean to revert degrees Fahrenheit on a Korean forum.

You don't even have to go there. He also has temps for load numbers, and its 60-70. If that's in Farenheit, it would be unheard of good.

But, I would wait for the release rather than being hyped. We've been misled few times already. These private overclock guys are basically unofficial marketing teams for Intel.

Markfw said:
THANK YOU FOR A LOOK INTO REALITY !!!!!

Calm down. We'll see the real numbers a few weeks after release, when reviews are done and few members have them. It is possible it can surprise. Don't count that out, but don't be excited by it either. You wait for the release day to do that. :)

Also it seems pre-release rumors are good ways to see bias....

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Chilled water doesn't usually make any significant change in top overclocks. You really need to go subzero to see a difference.
That doesn't make sense. The limits right now to Intel's process seems thermal and not a transister signal limit (where LN2 helps you overcome). So anything that helps keep a CPU under 100c should help with overclock's.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
That doesn't make sense. The limits right now to Intel's process seems thermal and not a transister signal limit (where LN2 helps you overcome). So anything that helps keep a CPU under 100c should help with overclock's.

I am just guessing here,

Unless the water is constantly chilled, it'll quickly revert back to a temperature that can be sustained. The average temperature might not be measurably low in that case.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I am just guessing here,

Unless the water is constantly chilled, it'll quickly revert back to a temperature that can be sustained. The average temperature might not be measurably low in that case.
Well more to the point if it's actively chilled while not efficient would contribute power to cooling and would therefore have some extra cooling affect. Maybe it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. But dropping temps is dropping temps and each degree helps when overclocking SL-X.

He made it sound like unless you lower the CPU to sub zero it isn't going to get faster. That we know isn't true.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Only with regards to thermal limiters - you are correct. I'm going to stop talking about this, since it's a better discussion for the case and cooling sub-forum.

Reactions: Pick2