Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 592 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I REALLY wanted the 7900, but it looks like CFL will just have too much ST power to ignore and will be ahead of everything in games.

That's why I'm getting both (Threadripper *and* CFL-S). One is a beast in MT tasks and software that scales with cores. The other will work just fine for stuff that doesn't scale with cores, but with clockspeed.

Best of both worlds.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-U has 4 cores and Hyper-threading. Better than I expected, though i7-U is still 'useless': slightly more cache and frequency over the i5-U not worth ~100 USD. Too bad I had to replace a broken laptop a pretty bad time, with a i5-7200U 3.1 GHz.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-U has 4 cores and Hyper-threading.
Hyper-threading on a 4 core probably 15 W part is only going to be helpful in short bursts. If the added heat from HT causes the chip to throttle down in speed, it could actually harm performance. Heck, even in desktop chips if you run it for hours/days on end you often get better results turning off HT. Plus, in mobile, 4 cores / 8 threads doesn't currently have mobile competition for Intel to consider.

Putting 4 cores / 8 threads in Coffee Lake desktop would make for some very difficult choices. The 4C/8T Kaby Lake i7, 6C/6T Coffee Lake i5, and 4C/8T Coffee Lake i3 would each win in different benchmarks. That makes it hard for a consumer to choose, makes it hard for OEMs to sell off their old stock of Kaby Lake processors, and makes it hard for Intel to justify higher prices for the i5 chips. So, while I don't like the lack of 4C/8T in Coffee Lake desktop, I understand it.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
cpu-monkey provided detailed performance results for Coffee Lake-S, you can browse them here. Usual grain of salt required as any other leak, but the numbers are very promising. Made a Kaby Lake-S comparison below.

GjjMKZi.jpg

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Hyper-threading on a 4 core probably 15 W part is only going to be helpful in short bursts. If the added heat from HT causes the chip to throttle down in speed, it could actually harm performance. Heck, even in desktop chips if you run it for hours/days on end you often get better results turning off HT. Plus, in mobile, 4 cores / 8 threads doesn't currently have mobile competition for Intel to consider.

Putting 4 cores / 8 threads in Coffee Lake desktop would make for some very difficult choices. The 4C/8T Kaby Lake i7, 6C/6T Coffee Lake i5, and 4C/8T Coffee Lake i3 would each win in different benchmarks. That makes it hard for a consumer to choose, makes it hard for OEMs to sell off their old stock of Kaby Lake processors, and makes it hard for Intel to justify higher prices for the i5 chips. So, while I don't like the lack of 4C/8T in Coffee Lake desktop, I understand it.
KL mobile chips were already able to run impressively longer at higher clocks without throttling.
Presumably the newer chips are a little better still.

IIRC, the ability to keep going without throttling was the reason why KL mobile chips easily outperformed the previous ones.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
cpu-monkey provided detailed performance results for Coffee Lake-S, you can browse them here. Usual grain of salt required as any other leak, but the numbers are very promising. Made a Kaby Lake-S comparison below.

Those are some epic gains from same Skylake microarchitecture. MT being able to scale 50% vs 7700K is actually nice, i did not expect that at lowly DDR4-2666, that certainly does bode well for gaming tests, I am especially looking forward to comparison of minimum frame rates vs Ryzen and 7700K.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Those are some epic gains from same Skylake microarchitecture. MT being able to scale 50% vs 7700K is actually nice, i did not expect that at lowly DDR4-2666, that certainly does bode well for gaming tests, I am especially looking forward to comparison of minimum frame rates vs Ryzen and 7700K.
I'm hoping the 8700K can run really fast memory like the 7740X can...

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-U has 4 cores and Hyper-threading. Better than I expected, though i7-U is still 'useless': slightly more cache and frequency over the i5-U not worth ~100 USD. Too bad I had to replace a broken laptop a pretty bad time, with a i5-7200U 3.1 GHz.

Raven Ridge is gonna have major problems competing against Coffee lake mobile if widespread i5 15W TDP parts have 4C8T and (presumably) turbo to 2.x Ghz, it'd need to be able to perform real well in gaming (i.e not throttle or be bandwith-limited) to justify getting this..

Mar 10, 2006
Raven Ridge is gonna have major problems competing against Coffee lake mobile if widespread i5 15W TDP parts have 4C8T and (presumably) turbo to 2.x Ghz, it'd need to be able to perform real well in gaming (i.e not throttle or be bandwith-limited) to justify getting this..

AMD has been terrible in laptops for quite some time and I don't expect that to change.

Intel's energy has been going into the mobile chips mainly and they won't let what happened in enthusiast desktop vis-a-vis Ryzen happen in mobile.

Reactions: Phynaz

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
That's why I'm getting both (Threadripper *and* CFL-S). One is a beast in MT tasks and software that scales with cores. The other will work just fine for stuff that doesn't scale with cores, but with clockspeed.

Best of both worlds.

I've got a Ryzen 1700x, so that will have to do. :) I don't think I need much more than 8 cores at this point.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
How about hoping that we can get away with selling one kidney only, honestly memory prices are bs and even more so for fast memory...
Well, when memory makers offered DDR4 variants to the smart phone manufactures, it was game over :(.

Reactions: Pick2

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
AMD has been terrible in laptops for quite some time and I don't expect that to change.

Intel's energy has been going into the mobile chips mainly and they won't let what happened in enthusiast desktop vis-a-vis Ryzen happen in mobile.

AMD were terrible in both desktops and laptops because of Bulldozer. AMD's desktop CPU market share especially in terms of revenue was around 10% before the arrival of Ryzen. We have seen Ryzen bring them back into contention in the desktop market. Raven Ridge should do the same in notebooks and desktops.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
How about hoping that we can get away with selling one kidney only

Yeah I bought my 3000 2x8GB ram $87 shipped in the beginning of Feb I believe. Its now $143 shipped for the exact same stuff. Such a huge price increase in such a small amount of time.. :\

Mar 10, 2006
AMD were terrible in both desktops and laptops because of Bulldozer. AMD's desktop CPU market share especially in terms of revenue was around 10% before the arrival of Ryzen. We have seen Ryzen bring them back into contention in the desktop market. Raven Ridge should do the same in notebooks and desktops.

We'll see! :)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

GjjMKZi.jpg

The 8700k is going to be a killer CPU. I really hope it comes out in September. If all these leaks are true I'm 100% getting one. Will make a very nice upgrade from my 4790k.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
We'll see! :)

Sure we will. Raven Ridge 4C/8T should get within close range (10-15% behind ) of Coffeelake 4C/8T in CPU benchmarks. In graphics Coffeelake won't get anywhere close to Raven Ridge , atleast not without EDRAM. GT3e with EDRAM parts might compete but they will be very expensive.

Last edited: