Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 578 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm thinking a slower 8 core chip will still stream better. It doesn't matter how fast the chip is. Just look at the 7700K and how it stutters in streaming despite its fast cores. I think 6/12 was awesome until 8/16 chips started selling for $300. Intel will charge $400 for 6/12 again. And yeah, until now they made me choose between IPC and more cores, so I'm a little bitter about that also.

Reactions: Kuosimodo and ZGR

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I'm thinking a slower 8 core chip will still stream better. It doesn't matter how fast the chip is. Just look at the 7700K and how it stutters in streaming despite its fast cores. I think 6/12 was awesome until 8/16 chips started selling for $300. Intel will charge $400 for 6/12 again. And yeah, until now they made me choose between IPC and more cores, so I'm a little bitter about that also.

Here the thing, no one do streaming on the 7700K via CPU, they all use Nvidia cards, unless you have a Radeon with a crappy video encoder, you will be just fine with that.

Ryzen can do streaming very very good, and is very very usefull for low bandwidth users, me for example, i like Ryzen because it allows me to do slow@2600kbps@720p. But, is not mandatory, as i said ealier, Nvidia encoder is very good and works just fine, you can do streaming even with a Pentium if you want. If you have a RX in other hand (also like me) well yes, Ryzen can help you there, since Radeon encoder just sucks at streaming. Its a shame that AMD ReLive does not support CPU encoding with Ryzen cpus.

And back to your statement, is also about the performance per core, otherwise FX8150 should have been the best cpu ever until Ryzen, if the 6 Intel cores with slight IPC advantage and kinda large clock advantage are enoght to perform like an 8 core Ryzen, what is the problem here? and specially talking about streaming, i whould expect to be about the same since Intel has the AVX advantage as well there.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcp7

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Its a shame that AMD ReLive does not support CPU encoding with Ryzen cpus.
Though, not unusual for them, AMD misses a marketing trick, again. :|

Even better, if they would offer CPU encoding support, ONLY on Ryzen, and not on Intel. That way, they could market the heck out of the combination of Ryzen and AMD GPU (to get ReLive to install), and then Intel couldn't compare with their CPUs, because that wouldn't be an option in the software.

Why not? Fair's fair. If Intel's Optane / RST won't run on AMD platforms, even with an Intel Optane drive present, then why should AMD's software, work when there's an Intel CPU present.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
7700K@4.8
1080ti@2063
Ram 3200 14-14-14-34

Welp never mind, I can't figure out how to post images.
mOWb4MD

cOxmzj2
Well...that is disappointing.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Actually, making me choose between IPC and more cores has left me pretty enraged, not just bitter. I know they could have just cut the crap and given us 6/12 on the mainstream a long ass time ago, but nope. They had to milk every last drop out of those lower end HEDT chips and frustrate the customer with that hard choice between 4 faster cores or 6 slower ones. I want revenge for all this in the form of massively reduced margins and market share. I hope Zen 2 really rips their guts out.

Mar 10, 2006
Actually, making me choose between IPC and more cores has left me pretty enraged, not just bitter. I know they could have just cut the crap and given us 6/12 on the mainstream a long ass time ago, but nope. They had to milk every last drop out of those lower end HEDT chips and frustrate the customer with that hard choice between 4 faster cores or 6 slower ones. I want revenge for all this in the form of massively reduced margins and market share. I hope Zen 2 really rips their guts out.

Interesting that you want revenge on Intel but not on AMD which abandoned this market altogether for half-a-decade.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
not on AMD which abandoned this market altogether for half-a-decade

You are sounding like AMD did it on purpose. They didn't have a platform to address it. That's not abandoning it. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

It's obviously been addressed now though.

Reactions: Kuosimodo

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
The only way that the "viral marketers" will go away is if interest rates for AMD rolling over it's debt rise substantially and for a long period of time forcing them to liquidate their "viral marketing" budget.

The "viral marketers" have been killing forums dead for over 10 years now (and have spread cancerously to every single medium with "user driven content", as well as most "reviewers" [aka "marketing department innovation"]), hopefully AMD dies one of these days so that Intel can stop pretending that they have competition and get hit with anti-trust legislation. Intel clearly doesn't have the kind of pull that Apple has, so they would likely be either fully nationalized and/or split up into 2 "separate companies", theoretically competing with themselves.

Since it's inception, AMD has always never been much more than a money laundering front for insider trading of the executives and top shareholders of the company, so AMD finally dying would be best for consumers and hopefully fully unwind the ponzi scheme that is AMD.

As for the Intel 6 core 12 thread mainstream line chips, it was blindingly obvious that they would come out eventually, since their sales have flatlined on their 4 core 8 thread chips due to them being nothing more than mobile chips that happen to also be used for the PC gaming market.

Coffeelake 6c 12t has absolutely nothing to do with AMD and it's blindingly obvious who were talking about it before any detail about Ryzen was even "leaked"

Inflammatory posting is not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CHADBOGA

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Since it's inception, AMD has always never been much more than a money laundering front for insider trading of the executives and top shareholders of the company, so AMD finally dying would be best for consumers and hopefully fully unwind the ponzi scheme that is AMD.

Wow dude, you sound like AMD will be taking away some of Intel's extra PR money from their "fund the wacko's" budget.

Edit

Come on guys. Keep it civil.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Reactions: Kuosimodo
Aug 11, 2008
You are sounding like AMD did it on purpose. They didn't have a platform to address it. That's not abandoning it. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

It's obviously been addressed now though.

Naw it wasnt intentional, just incompetence. That is OK I guess.
Irrespective of that, how ever much hate there is for intel on this forum, the fact is without them, we would have had much, much poorer choices for cpus for the last ten years.

Reactions: Sweepr

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Off your meds again, I see.

Some of us more rational folk see AMD as a premier technology company, that has been hamstrung in the market by the unethical, and arguably outright illegal tactics of Intel.

Come on guys. Keep it civil.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As for the Intel 6 core 12 thread mainstream line chips, it was blindingly obvious that they would come out eventually, since their sales have flatlined on their 4 core 8 thread chips due to them being nothing more than mobile chips that happen to also be used for the PC gaming market.
I think that's a charitable way to say that Intel has had the technology for years to give us more than 4 cores on the mainstream platform, but as the abusive monopolist they are, they chose to instead milk the market for profits, over the advancement of civilization.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Off your meds again, I see.

Some of us more rational folk see AMD as a premier technology company, that has been hamstrung in the market by the unethical, and arguably outright illegal tactics of Intel.
In the mid-2000s, one could legitimately paint them as a victim.

But once Bulldozer rolled around, they sowed their own animosity towards them. One blogger in particular exposed the BS really well. His name was Scali.

Only because they put themselves on the brink did finally get the chip they could use to undercut Intel.

I suggest not misusing the word rational, because it is quite the opposite to go around paint extreme generalizations that might not apply in all cases.

Reactions: frozentundra123456

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
I think that's a charitable way to say that Intel has had the technology for years to give us more than 4 cores on the mainstream platform, but as the abusive monopolist they are, they chose to instead milk the market for profits, over the advancement of civilization.

Sure, AMD's incompetence for the last 5 years contributed to that, but it can't be denied 6C12T on the mainstream socket could've happened MUCH earlier.

A monopoly gotta monopoly, you know.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In the mid-2000s, one could legitimately paint them as a victim.

But once Bulldozer rolled around, they sowed their own animosity towards them.
You do realize that Intel's tactics constricted AMD's R&D pipeline, so BD is the best that they could come up with at the time.

I'm not saying that AMD hasn't had their own points of incompetence, and Bulldozer was a big part of that.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Interesting that you want revenge on Intel but not on AMD which abandoned this market altogether for half-a-decade.

AMD has had their comeuppance, and then some. Anyone who wanted them to suffer got exactly that. They lost quite a bit of talent, suffered massive financial losses, and ruined their reputation with many.

To some it's a shock that AMD is still in business.

The only way that the "viral marketers" will go away is if interest rates for AMD rolling over it's debt rise substantially and for a long period of time forcing them to liquidate their "viral marketing" budget.

Wow, that's up there with Nosta's claim that Keller stole tech from Apple and somehow got away with it. Feel free to present evidence supporting your claims, but until you do that . . . please stop.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You do realize that Intel's tactics constricted AMD's R&D pipeline, so BD is the best that they could come up with at the time.

I'm not saying that AMD hasn't had their own points of incompetence, and Bulldozer was a big part of that.
Intel played their dirtiest when chasing Athlon XP; the lawsuit AMD filed was in 2005. But they were also developing products as well as playing the strongarm bully. But without a competitive product, they never would have came back even with all of those supply-side tactics. Once Conroe hit the market, they were well on their way to reclaiming the crown, and AMD was chasing something they could have kept since Ruiz delayed development on the 65nm node at that critical juncture. There were still rolling in dough prior to Conroe and had the means to quickly jump to the next node, but Ruiz delayed, and Intel caught up and never looked back. Bulldozer was K8's successor, and by then, the tactical error and fallout was complete.
Hector Ruiz delaying the process node advancement also slowed them down when they were top dog. Not to mention the crippling arrangment with GloFlo. Idontcare certainly explained that aspect very well.

They could have continued to develop the Stars architecture. They didn't need to make Bulldozer in its actual form either.