Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 414 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Its official, liquid cooling is my fave.

Before: the 7700k was idling at 70 and maxing at 100.
After: the 7700k idles at 35 and maxes at 69.

If anyone wants to try it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015E14J9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up a damaged box version for 63 dollars. It was easy to install except for mounting a little bracket on the underside of my motherboard. And of course, its quiet.
Now its time for OVERCLOCKING!
Idling at 70? That seems quite excessive.
Sounds like the CPU is not dropping down to idle conditions?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Skylake-SP gets official!

Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family: Xeon Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze Announced

Today we have the official announcement of the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family. That is the overall branding given to the next generation 2, 4 and 8(+) socket Intel Xeon family that we expect to be formally launched in Q3 2017. We have already seen the Intel Gold and Platinum model list through an Intel Product Change Notification.

New Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family: Xeon Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze
There are two major changes we can talk a bit about today: what happens to the E5 and E7 lines and feature differentiation.

First, the Intel Xeon E5 and E7 lines will essentially merge into this new structure. As we have seen the E7 line transition to a similar pin count as the E5 generation, the convergence makes sense. In fact, the Intel Xeon E5 V4 and Intel Xeon E7 V4 CPUs share more under the hood than many realize. This change has been coming for some time.

Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family Platinum Gold Silver Bronze
Second, there is going to be a SKU hierarchy for features. We have already seen this happen in other lines. For example, the Intel Atom C2xx8 chips were essentially Intel Atom C2xx0 chips with QuickAssist support. Likewise, Intel Xeon Phi x200 chips can have Omni-Path. Intel Xeon Phi 72xxF parts have the interconnect while 72xx parts do not. Similarly, we expect that there are going to be SKUs enabled with features like QuickAssist, Omni-Path, Optane DIMM support, and etc. We expect these higher-end features to reside in the Intel Xeon Gold and Platinum SKUs.

Next-gen QAT and Omni-Path will be optional integrated features starting with the Intel Xeon Scalable Processor Family. We also expect Intel to limit future technologies like the Intel Optane DIMMs to specific SKUs.

Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family Platform Features
We had an opportunity to ask the company about the models but were told there are no major new announcements at this time. [...]

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-...ly-xeon-platinum-gold-silver-bronze-announced

The Scalable family will feature integrated performance accelerators such as Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel® AVX-512) and Intel® QuickAssist Technology (Intel® QAT), as well as Intel® Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD), a new platform capability designed to deliver seamless management of PCIe-based (NVMe) solid state drives, such as the recently launched Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X and Intel® SSD DC P4600 drives. Intel® VMD enables a “hot plug” capability that minimizes service interruptions during drive swaps.

The Intel Xeon Processor Scalable family will offer four levels of performance and capabilities, with a wealth of configuration choice with regard to which integrations and accelerators customers need, and a new tiered model based on metals (bronze, silver, gold and platinum) to make the options simple and efficient to choose.

This new platform also builds on the exhaustive work we’ve been doing with the ecosystem over the past decade to ensure a choice of fully optimized, easy-to-deploy solutions in the marketplace. We are working closely with our Builders ecosystem to create a wide range of workload-optimized solutions that will take full advantage of the new capabilities and performance of the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable family.

We believe the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable family – which is already being embraced by a wide range of cloud providers and leading enterprises around the world – will be a catalyst for organizations to modernize their data centers, offering much greater flexibility and choice in how data center technologies are adopted and deployed, and reducing complexity and test and validation overhead. [...]

https://newsroom.intel.com/editoria...a-center-intel-xeon-processor-scalable-family

Reactions: Ajay and Drazick

dahorns

Sep 13, 2013
WTF is wrong with the marketing team? This is unseemly, naming such a product after "oooh shiny." It's tasteless somehow

I don't get the complaint. This is a pretty common naming structure for tiers of products. It seems lot simpler and more intuitive than what existed before.

Reactions: coercitiv

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
While there is nothing illegal about this listing, it is certainly one that Intel will need to investigate, as at this time Skylake-EP is only available to select early partners, which should leave the company wondering who is selling these samples to the public.

Is this editor an idiot?
It is illegal to sell Engineering Sample / Inhouse / Internal distribution CPU's without the expressed permission from Intel.

Infact Intel asks their partners when they are done with the cpu, that they destroy it, and remove it from public circulation.
That is why i have killed so many cpu's back when i was active, because my sponsor told me to destroy them when i was done.

Ive known quite a bit of people who have gotten emails from intel security, requesting the illegally obtained cpu back or they will pursue legal on them.

Infact even my sponsor has asked me to return a couple of the cpu's back because intel wanted them back to trace where the leak was coming from.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
The PC Gaming Show is returning to E3 2017
Intel joins our E3 showcase of new games and hardware, hosted by Sean 'Day9' Plott.

www.pcgamer.com/the-pc-gaming-show-is-returning-to-e3-2017/?utm_content=bufferc9818&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

DigiTimes @ 19/04 said:
The Basin Falls-based products are expected to be launched at the E3 gaming show in the US in June, with the official release at the end of the month.
So this is where they will launch Core X (Basin Falls). Hopefully Intel showcases the capabilities of the CPUs (Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X) and platform for gaming. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: WingZero30

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Kabylake-R based i7-8650U entry: https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx40&os=Windows&api=gl&D=Intel(R)+Core(TM)+i7-8650U+CPU+with+HD+Graphics+620&testgroup=info

Intel® Core™ i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz

Base clocks seems to be 1.90 Ghz.

And here's Core™ i5-8250U, 1.6 GHz (base).

https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?ben...l&hwtype=iGPU&hwname=Intel(R)+HD+Graphics+620

I wonder where CFL-U with Iris (4+3e) fits in their product stack. If KBL-R is 8X50, then CNL-U might be 8X00. New brand?

By the way, there's a Coffee Lake GFXBench entry as well:

https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?ben...e=GPU&hwname=Intel(R)+Coffee+Lake+HD+Graphics

Reactions: Arachnotronic

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Just imagine i7 i5 and i3 each with these metal levels.

You'd have i7 Bronze, i7 Silver, i7 Gold, and i7 Platinum and you'd know instantly which was the fastest chip and how they relate.

Mar 10, 2006
Just imagine i7 i5 and i3 each with these metal levels.

You'd have i7 Bronze, i7 Silver, i7 Gold, and i7 Platinum and you'd know instantly which was the fastest chip and how they relate.

Core X Platinum (12C/24T), Core X Gold (8C/16T, 10C/20T), Core X Silver (6C/12T HEDT), Core X Bronze (KBL-X).

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Yea, because "Xeon E7-8891 v4" is so much more professional and easy to remember.

Seems straight forward enough. E7 is the top tier Xeon (compare E3/E5/E7 to i3, i5, i7), 8000 series means multisockets, v4 means Broadwell uarch.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Seems straight forward enough. E7 is the top tier Xeon (compare E3/E5/E7 to i3, i5, i7), 8000 series means multisockets, v4 means Broadwell uarch.
That is the problem. 8000 means (a) more sockets possible, (b) much more cache, (c) faster bus speeds and (d) turbo boost 2.0. You only mentioned one of the differences.

So, someone with a 4 CPU server may only be looking at the E7-4820 v4 which has 10 cores and 20 threads. But, that person may be better suited with four of the E7-8891 v4 (which also has 10 cores and 20 threads) because of nearly triple the cache. But Intel was finding that people weren't considering the 8 CPU series enough for 4 CPU servers.

w3rd

Mar 1, 2017
Most people don't buy these chips, businesses do.

I am not a business, I do not care... what is the interest in these chips, spreadsheets? Server farm? Or just simple side discussion..?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006