Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 379 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
I really look forward to seeing how Skylake-X performs...IPC and clocks. My expectations are pretty high, but we'll see.
Inf64 said what I was going to but better.

People...perspective. For the first time in almost a decade, we have a competitive marketplace again, and that is very possibly the most important thing that came out of this. Intel has been arrogant and high-handed toward its customers for entirely too long now because of its advantage, and they got there more by scheissty shoulda-been-illegal tactics than skill until Penryn hit.

AMD has pulled off a miracle here. Do remember that most of the benchmarks showing Intel's HEDT chips beating the 17/1800(x) series are comparing chips that cost $500-$1,700 to those that cost $250-$500 respectively.

So celebrate Intel all you want, I'm looking forward to Skylake-X too, but do it for the right reasons: the return to a competitive marketplace. If the more...ahem...enthusiastic Intel boosters ever actually got their way, the entire market would be a monopolistic disaster.
The ...ahem... "enthusiastic" AMD fans in this forum outnumber the intel ones by a huge amount. I also am sure that a goodly percentage of those who are supposedly so happy about the return of "competition" would really be more than happy if their favorite company was in the position intel was previously.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Im more interested to see if AVX-512 becomes a big thing for production software and encoders.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The ...ahem... "enthusiastic" AMD fans in this forum outnumber the intel ones by a huge amount. I also am sure that a goodly percentage of those who are supposedly so happy about the return of "competition" would really be more than happy if their favorite company was in the position intel was previously.
Your subjective viewpoint might be a bit skewed, given that this new release has generated a lot of buzz and brought many users out of the woodwork; true-blue Intel loyalists are quite well represented here.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
I really look forward to seeing how Skylake-X performs...IPC and clocks. My expectations are pretty high, but we'll see.
This, im looking to buy a pc at around Q3 2017, looks like it will be a toss up between a 7800k and Raven Ridge, perhaps 1600x could temp me.
Really interested to see what improvements the cache has with SKY X.

Aug 11, 2008
Your subjective viewpoint might be a bit skewed, given that this new release has generated a lot of buzz and brought many users out of the woodwork; true-blue Intel loyalists are quite well represented here.
Obviously there are "loyalists", from both sides. I never said there weren't. I just get annoyed when posters (not you) whine about the Intel "loyalists" without acknowledging that it certainly works both ways.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Kaby Lake Refresh Launching in Q3-2017

Digitimes said:
PC vendors, in order to reflect continual hikes in component costs, including display panels, DRAM, SSDs, Li batteries, plan to raise retail prices when new models equipped with revised Kaby Lake processors are launched in the third quarter of 2017, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Intel is planning to release upgraded Kaby Lake processors in the third quarter and PC vendors are expected to release new products with increased prices to target back-to-school demand.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170322PD207.html

So Q3 launch for Kaby Lake Refresh - the first 8th Gen Core. The big news here is the addition of quad-core (4C/8T) 15W TDP models to the revised 'U' lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Intel Xeon Gold & Xeon Platinum (Skylake-SP) Lineup Leaked

C7nA3d1VYAAL1-H_zps2hhxygfh.jpg

Xeon Gold 6134/6136 with 18C/36T, 3.0-3.2 GHz (base) and 105-130W TDP look particularly impressive. Now we need to learn more about Skylake-X. :)

SAAA

May 14, 2014
I find the ST score disappointing compared to E5-2699v4. Perhaps the BIOS isn't finalized and/or turbo not fully functional?

Those two scores in particular are bad but the same guy has a list of better results with the same processors, just stalk the user profile for more:

https://browser.primatelabs.com/user/118916

Xeon Gold 6134/6136 with 18C/36T, 3.0-3.2 GHz (base) and 105-130W TDP look particularly impressive. Now we need to learn more about Skylake-X. :)

Definitely crazy base clocks and TDPs, but some leave me wondering if this leak makes sense at all: 6154 gold has 200W TDP and 3.00GHz base while the identical (?) 6136 has just 105W TDP, uh... how?
My two cents on this: all core turbo lower on the lower wattage CPU; little o none AVX clockspeed offset on the higher power CPU. Both are 18 cores and same frequency but AVX512 should heat up a lot more than even AVX2, so higher TDP overall.
Also the package is huge this time with ~3500 pins and twice the area for heat dissipation... these monsters look more like GPU than processors!

I can't but expect some insanely high clocked 6 core in Skylake X lineup to compete with Ryzen after this leak, think 4GHz base (maybe for the higher priced 6 core if they still release two variants) and aggressive single core turbos even on 10-12 cores to keep them competitive on low treaded tests.

Reactions: Sweepr

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I thought Kaby Lake WAS the "refresh". (New Skylake stepping.)

WTF is "Kaby Lake Refresh"? A refresh of a refresh?
There will be three 14nm gens. Skylake, then Kaby Lake, then Coffee Lake, I think.

Broadwell DT was 14nm, but it was just a Haswell die shrink.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/2144813

This Skylake is not @ 3.7Ghz. Looking at AES score, it is definitely @ base clock as my back of napkin calcs arrived to 2Ghz and it is listed as 2.1 in that table above.

Very respectable scores for 2.1Ghz clock :) looking forward to buying these puppies.
Hope you have a lot of money to spend if you are buying some of those.
3.7 is probably a turbo speed.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hope you have a lot of money to spend if you are buying some of those.
3.7 is probably a turbo speed.

Ofc not for personal use, but rather company i work for :) And we buy 2690 stuff, not some HCC high end or quad socket stuff. But then again i imagine that's where plenty of Intel sales are?

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013

Definitely not base clocks. That does not pass the sniff test.

Intel's best BDW-EP CPU at 105W is 14 cores at 2.3GHz (2.8GHz turbo).

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Definitely not base clocks. That does not pass the sniff test.

Intel's best BDW-EP CPU at 105W is 14 cores at 2.3GHz (2.8GHz turbo).

This is base clock for sure because Broadwell-EP with Turbo clocks with 3.6 Ghz on several SKUs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture)#Server_processors

BDW didn't clock well in all segments and the first 14nm version wasn't great either, compare it with Skylake and even more Kabylake @14nm+. Higher base clocks for Skylake-SP are no surprise.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
LTC8K6 said:
According to that, Intel has cut some prices, but I don't see it.

There's another bit in this article:

DigiTimes said:
But the sources expect demand from the PC DIY market to have a good chance to rise in the third quarter due to seasonality, as well as Intel's launch of its top-end Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X processors and X299 chipsets, and AMD's release of its Ryzen 3 series processors for inexpensive mainstream sector and mass shipments of its Vega series GPUs.

DigiTimes reassures Q3 launch for Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X.

Reactions: Drazick