Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 350 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I see, so what will Kaby Lake X offer over S?

Kaby Lake-X is the same as desktop. 4 cores, dual channel 16 PCIe lanes. Higher binned it seems tho.
Skylake-X is from Skylake-EP, 1MB L2 cache, 6-10 cores, quad channel, 28-44 PCIe lanes etc.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
So, you're "unimpressed" with Intel''s new budget tech, but you're suggesting gamers wait for a yet-unreleased AMD CPU, of which HOW MANY gaming benchmarks do we have of it?

At least the G4560 should be in the ballpark of the existing i3-6100 for gaming, which often compares favorably to a stock-speed 2500K.

Edit: Not that I'm saying get KBL over Zen, only that I personally don't have enough info on Zen to make a decision at this point.

Ofcource a G4560 walks all over anything amd have at that price segment if gaming with dgpu is the purpose.

I have explained why i think it doesnt fit the minimum requirement today for getting sufficient high min fps in new mp games using a dgpu. Because it imo defines the experience and compettitiveness. The games have changed and its only going one way and so then should the recommandations.

I dont think zen sucks or is slower than a quad hsw, but if it does or/and is to expensive then cheapest core i5 is imo the solution to minimal gaming with a dgpu.

We will know in a meager 2 months.

Reactions: jana519

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, no native HDMI2.0 in KBL? No wonder ARK listed HDMI 1.4 resolutions.

MAJOR FAIL!

Guess it's a good thing that I picked up a pair of Club3D DP-to-HDMI2.0 active adapters, to use with my 40" 4K UHD HDR TVs.

gofmarat

Jul 3, 2013
If the Brower supports it then it runs fine. For example Chromium 57 supports VP9 HW decoding, Chrome 55 didn't support it when I checked last time. Maybe Chrome 56.
Thanks for the answer but i see that 55 is the latest version, is there a 56 already?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
ASUS: 80% success rate of hitting 5 GHz with 7th Gen Core + Z270 motherboard

The 5G OC Profile requires that you have the latest Z270 processor paired with an ASUS/ROG Z270 motherboard, the 80% success rate means you've got a pretty good chance of finally hitting that 5GHz mark.

http://rog.asus.com/articles/maximu...z-and-beyond-on-the-new-rog-z270-motherboards

Kaby Lake-U with Iris Plus 640 (GT3e) pops up at SiSoftware

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_d...a895a482ead7e2c4bc81b096f396ab9bbdcef3cb&l=en
http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_d...ad90a187efd2e7c1b984b593f693ae9eb8cbf6ce&l=en

For those who didn't see it yet, here's the full list of Kaby Lake processors released by Intel: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/82879/#@All

Reactions: Drazick

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Nah, he won't be impressed with Intel anything because he can get an awesome imaginary AMD chip at some imaginary price point he dictates in some imaginary release date in the future.

I havnt recommended a big core amd for like 10 years. At all.
Its like 3 hrs ago i recommended skl pentium notebook for a friends relatives and have repeated said Intel big core like everywhere.
But when you suddenly say hey wait 2 months and look what zen brings, its like causing a traffic accident.

Zen isnt imaginary. Its real, we know the min 3.4 base freq for 8c, 95w tdp for 8c, handbrake and blender results, and its comming in 3 months. Its dual channel and not targeting HEDT, but i3, i5, i7 segments as the names sr3, sr5, sr7 hints.

It might be off, but its surely not in any way pointing that way imo.

In the meantime, I will play with my new G4560 + H110 that together cost less than my daily wage.

Fine - its a nice cheap and plenty fast office cpu no discussion. For dgpu gamers i say wait 2 months. And for those with similar pay, consider to save an extra half days pay if thats what is needed to get a 4c 8t low end zen.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Fine - its a nice cheap and plenty fast office cpu no discussion. For dgpu gamers i say wait 2 months. And for those with similar pay, consider to save an extra half days pay if thats what is needed to get a 4c 8t low end zen.

Ryzen SR3 will most definitely not have a similar cost to this $64 Pentium G4560 and the Raven Ridge APUs are only coming in H2-2017. Also this little 2C/4T is more than enough for a budget system with an entry/mainstream dGPU, not all people can or are willing to save money & wait months for a more powerful PC. There's plenty to choose from today as well, including new/used Core i5/i7, Xeon and even AMD parts.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Regarding Optane Memory (not to be confused with Optane SSD).

It says 16/32/60/120/180GB for size. If that's "Optane Memory" Optane SSDs will probably end up in the 512GB-1TB range.

Also, working out as I expected. This is Z68's Smart Response perfected. With the caching setup faster than an SSD it's much more realistic to have HDD + Optane Memory combo end up like a standalone SSD. Also probably Intel hopes it works well because Optane is delayed likely due to yield issues and a tiny size device would work as a pipe cleaner before the big bang.

Now if it turns out well I'll probably go KBL Pentium or i3 with Optane + HDD.

We are too enthusiast focused to realize what Intel's goal with Optane Memory is. It's to offer SSD performance and responsiveness for cost constrained systems. The HDDs are still quite a bit cheaper than SSDs.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
We are too enthusiast focused to realize what Intel's goal with Optane Memory is. It's to offer SSD performance and responsiveness for cost constrained systems. The HDDs are still quite a bit cheaper than SSDs.
So you reckon they'll have the same success they had with NAND caching?

PS: Optane Memory better be cheaper than eMMC.

Mar 10, 2006
Regarding Optane Memory (not to be confused with Optane SSD).

It says 16/32/60/120/180GB for size. If that's "Optane Memory" Optane SSDs will probably end up in the 512GB-1TB range.

Also, working out as I expected. This is Z68's Smart Response perfected. With the caching setup faster than an SSD it's much more realistic to have HDD + Optane Memory combo end up like a standalone SSD. Also probably Intel hopes it works well because Optane is delayed likely due to yield issues and a tiny size device would work as a pipe cleaner before the big bang.

Now if it turns out well I'll probably go KBL Pentium or i3 with Optane + HDD.

Intel's goal with Optane is to sell data center customers a mess o' DIMMs and make lots of $$$.

But the consumer stuff is neat, too :)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Intel's goal with Optane is to sell data center customers a mess o' DIMMs and make lots of $$$.

But the consumer stuff is neat, too :)

That's true but Optane Memory is not enterprise. That's also the area they are likely having issues with.

So you reckon they'll have the same success they had with NAND caching?

I don't know what you mean by that. Was Intel's version successful? I assume not since I did not see SRT being used in Laptops, even with enhancements with Haswell. If you are talking about SSHDs, well, we'll see.

I don't believe they'll be cheap per GB. Optane Memory should be affordable though because they are aiming it to pair with an HDD plus the capacity is small. Market success will also depend on pricing.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Ryzen SR3 will most definitely not have a similar cost to this $64 Pentium G4560 and the Raven Ridge APUs are only coming in H2-2017. Also this little 2C/4T is more than enough for a budget system with an entry/mainstream dGPU, not all people can or are willing to save money & wait months for a more powerful PC. There's plenty to choose from today as well, including new/used Core i5/i7, Xeon and even AMD parts.

Sure sr3 is 150 i3 segment so its more than double price g4560 if not ending at 3 times as expensive. But the mb ram gpu and rest of cost is similar.
When you buy a pc with dgpu for gaming why not use the extra say 80 usd on the total cost and have something that last for years instead of a cpu that is just to slow out the gate and will age very fast looking at recent games. Its even good economics. Its rational going sr3 if prices is about i3 or slightly higher.
And i agree its better to buy used eg quad hsw i5 and oc it than buy a new 2c 4t, but again it depends on prices and imo aside from xeon everything else looks overrated to me on second hand prices and amd pd st perf is imo just a bit to low and efficiency and power usage can be a huge mess at top of it.
But yeaa it depends if zen perf and price is as indicated...but if dgpu gaming is a concern buying right now and not waiting 3 months to tell where its going is imo the worst time the last 6 years.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Here comes Kaby Lake-H reviews...

ComputerBase: Core I7-7700HQ & I7-7820HK Tested

5-1080.2727326652.jpg

Kaby Lake-H (left) and GP107 (right)

perfkabyh_zpsxdocfgmf.jpg

perfkabyh2_zps8gay5yez.jpg

www.computerbase.de/2017-01/intel-core-i7-7700hq-7820hk-kaby-lake-test/

Golem: Brief Core i7-7700HQ Test

01-cinebench-r15-(singlecore-score)-chart.png

02-cinebench-r15-(multicore-score)-chart.png

03-x265-fhd-x64-v0.96.2-(default)-chart.png

04-x265-fhd-x64-v0.96.2-(high-quality)-chart.png

www.golem.de/news/core-i7-7700hq-im-kurztest-ein-wenig-mehr-takt-bei-gleicher-leistungsaufnahme-1701-125350.html

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Strange how I've now seen two sites (computerbase.de and PCGH.de) who have the figures for the Broadwell C processors who chose to hide them.

On Computerbase click on +15 Einträge to get this:
Oqwi9VD.png

On PCGH, click on the sub-menu 'Produkte ein-/ausblenden and add i7-5775C to get this:
tYVqgmJ.png

The results are not really surprising but still pretty impressive considering the i7-5775C is running nearly 1GHz slower.
Pity Intel never released any other desktop* chips with Crystalwell, but while they may not like the extra cost for desktop if they fell under pressure in the future it is a very easy thing for them to add back in.
*Just looked it up as I thought I remembered some talk about Skylake Xeon's with Iris Pro. Yes, there are some BGA1440 chips like the Xeon E3-1585 v5 with 128MB eDRAM. Never saw them reviewed though.

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
Its easy, Broadwell C makes SKL and KL look bad in comparison, considering the first one is a tock, and the second one a new stepping+updated uncore.

Broadwell C at normal K cpu prices would have been a killer of a deal for gaming.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
digital foundry
7600k at stock 4Ghz with 3000Mhz ram is faster than 7600k at 4.8Ghz with 2133mhz ram

7600k/6600k/2500k 4.2Ghz skylake/kabylake is avg 30% faster than SB with 2133Mhz ram( i think it would be close to 50% if they use slow DDR3 1600Mhz for SB)

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Hmm, no native HDMI2.0 in KBL? No wonder ARK listed HDMI 1.4 resolutions.

MAJOR FAIL!

Guess it's a good thing that I picked up a pair of Club3D DP-to-HDMI2.0 active adapters, to use with my 40" 4K UHD HDR TVs.

Say what?! Where did you get this, did I miss something?!

EDIT: Nevermind, just went and looked back at the slides. I don't know WTF Intel has been doing with Kaby Lake...it's been all this time and they didn't choose to deliver HDMI 2.0 as native? Does anyone know if that was so it'd be backwards compatible with existing 100 series chipset boards or something? It just seems like a big miss to not have it native...

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Odd that the Ark is not listing HDMI 2.0 compatibility. So far I see that Ars says it's supported.

Edit: Anandtech shows HDMI 2.0 through a DP adapter only. Kinda sucky.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Ofcource a G4560 walks all over anything amd have at that price segment if gaming with dgpu is the purpose.

I have explained why i think it doesnt fit the minimum requirement today for getting sufficient high min fps in new mp games using a dgpu. Because it imo defines the experience and compettitiveness. The games have changed and its only going one way and so then should the recommandations.

I dont think zen sucks or is slower than a quad hsw, but if it does or/and is to expensive then cheapest core i5 is imo the solution to minimal gaming with a dgpu.

We will know in a meager 2 months.

Im sorry but no, part of my job is creating PC configurations, 2 months ago for the budget gaming build i tried: Pentium G4400, Athlon 5150, A8-7600, I3-6100. and a RX460 2GB.
A8-7600 and I3-6100 was way better than the other two, ended up with the I3-6100, performance was better than A8-7600, and you need an A88 to have front USB3 on FM2, what is ridiculus.
now im gona use a G4560.

And yes, 2C+HT its the minimum ti pair it with a RX460 or GTX1050 class gpu.

When the Zens for mainstream comes out, and we can see the performance and prices we can talk, thats gona take a while since non-APU Zen are not mainstream, until them, this is what we have.

Reactions: Sweepr

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The last slide in this post https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-skylake-kaby-lake-thread.2428363/page-349#post-38663062 (one page back) says HDMI 2.0 will be delivered via LSPCON. I'd love to know why Intel made that decision instead of having KL have native HDMI 2.0 support.
Well, it's HDMI 2.0a and those specs were only released in 2Q15. It adds HDR.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_video
http://www.twice.com/news/trade-groups/hdmi-20a-spec-released-hdr-capability-added/56694

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
I see, so what will Kaby Lake X offer over S?

Higher clocks and possibly better binned dies. Notice TDP is listed as 95W-xxW, so it might land above 7700K's. ;)

The most interesting part of this roadmap to me is Skylake-X shipping in late Q2. Q3 launch is my bet, we're probably half a year away from it. I'm curious to see how the new cache structure (1MB L2/core) will affect IPC compared to regular Skylake cores.