Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 210 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
There are also Y model laptops. Specially with the benefit of being fanless, which I like. However I don't like it to the point of the performance being too severely impacted. So I'd like to see some reviews of Skylake Y. But it's a worrying sign that some OEM models like Lenovo Yoga have moved from Y to U for Skylake.

You forget U models got much improved power usage. See Anandtech on the Surface.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But it's a worrying sign that some OEM models like Lenovo Yoga have moved from Y to U for Skylake.

Why? Its still race to sleep, it just means that if you're gonna put it under load, it wont throttle and burn up your battery faster... thus u better be plugged in if you're going to do some heavy gaming. I like it.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Why? Its still race to sleep, it just means that if you're gonna put it under load, it wont throttle and burn up your battery faster... thus u better be plugged in if you're going to do some heavy gaming. I like it.

Well, with the U series, the laptop will turn on the fan if under heavy load (and also sometimes even when not under heavy continuous load I've heard). Hence not fanless.

The laptop I intend to get will mostly be used for web surfing, reading emails, and other light work with only short busty heavy loads. So I figured Skylake Y might be an option, with the benefit of being fanless, and thus a bit smaller and lighter too.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well, with the U series, the laptop will turn on the fan if under heavy load (and also sometimes even when not under heavy continuous load I've heard). Hence not fanless.

The laptop I intend to get will mostly be used for web surfing, reading emails, and other light work with only short busty heavy loads. So I figured Skylake Y might be an option, with the benefit of being fanless, and thus a bit smaller and lighter too.

Ok sure, thats a point.. but between all the other aspects, metrics, of such a purchase(laptop), fan/fanless etc would be way down my priority list.
(example, the surface pro 4 looks really good in this context.. with fan too)

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
This is a misread, Haswell is limited to max 1.7 GB.

But i DO remember the 1700mb limit in the past, if it says that its because the driver is reporting that much, if im bored i may try to fill the vram to see what happens.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Ok sure, thats a point.. but between all the other aspects, metrics, of such a purchase(laptop), fan/fanless etc would be way down my priority list.
(example, the surface pro 4 looks really good in this context.. with fan too)
I think fanless is more or less the only benefit with the Y series in laptops. But to some that is a highly desirable feature. If you don't care about that, then there is not much reason to chose it. It could have been priced lower if price was set based on performance, but it isn't:

6Y57: 1.1/2.8GHz, Price $281
6Y75: 1.2/3.1GHz, Price $393

So the Y series is very expensive for the performance you get.

Mar 10, 2006
I think fanless is more or less the only benefit with the Y series in laptops. But to some that is a highly desirable feature. If you don't care about that, then there is not much reason to chose it. It could have been priced lower if price was set based on performance, but it isn't:

Those prices are pretty out of touch with reality. No OEM is paying anything close to those amounts.

Tovbot

Oct 24, 2015
Hi all. As I see Caby Lake is just refresh for Skylake and Cannonlake is Caby Lake shrink to 10nm node. It means we will not see any significant IPC increase with both of them.
As a result, it seems Skylake should be very competitive during next 3-4 years. But as I see from different reviews, Skylake didn't bring significant increase in games comparing to Haswell. Does it mean I can save some money buying unlocked Haswell with DDR3 instead of Skylake and forget about upgrade for games for next 3-4 years?

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Those prices are pretty out of touch with reality. No OEM is paying anything close to those amounts.

Perhaps. But the same can be said for the list price of all other CPUs.

So we can still deduce from it that the relative price of the Y series is very high for the performance you get, compared to other CPUs.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I thought Skylake has unlocked bclk? Where are the bclk non-k overclocks?

It's disabled afaik on non-K. There's no multicore enhancement either, all you can do is raise the bclk to 103 Mhz or so. You wanna overclock, you gotta pay.

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
It's disabled afaik on non-K. There's no multicore enhancement either, all you can do is raise the bclk to 103 Mhz or so. You wanna overclock, you gotta pay.
Well that settles that that. No true overclocker can stand this bullshit from Intel. It's x58 for me till AMD gets something reasonable out there.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Fanless, lighter, longer battery life, thinner device.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Not so much the longer battery life bit of that.

Really just fanless and thinner, which are moderately tenuous benefits given how thin/light they can get laptops with the U's in.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
But i DO remember the 1700mb limit in the past, if it says that its because the driver is reporting that much, if im bored i may try to fill the vram to see what happens.

With Skylake it is in the past but not for Haswell. And the driver could report a fake memory usage, but in this case it may be a game misread. Possibly intentional from the devs because in GTA 4 they messed up with their memory calculation from the dedicated memory set in the bios.

Aug 11, 2008
Hi all. As I see Caby Lake is just refresh for Skylake and Cannonlake is Caby Lake shrink to 10nm node. It means we will not see any significant IPC increase with both of them.
As a result, it seems Skylake should be very competitive during next 3-4 years. But as I see from different reviews, Skylake didn't bring significant increase in games comparing to Haswell. Does it mean I can save some money buying unlocked Haswell with DDR3 instead of Skylake and forget about upgrade for games for next 3-4 years?

With fast ram, skylake seems to be about 10 to 15 % faster than Haswell in CPU bound games. If you have ddr3 ram to re-use then haswell is probably the best deal. If you are buying new ram, I would just go with skylake.

Tovbot

Oct 24, 2015
With fast ram, skylake seems to be about 10 to 15 % faster than Haswell in CPU bound games. If you have ddr3 ram to re-use then haswell is probably the best deal. If you are buying new ram, I would just go with skylake.

Interesting, I'll look for relevant tests. What about 2011-3 platform then? If choosing between 5820K and 6700K? Price difference is not big, and it gives 4-channel RAM, 6 cores but slightly lower overclocking potential.

Mar 10, 2006
Interesting, I'll look for relevant tests. What about 2011-3 platform then? If choosing between 5820K and 6700K? Price difference is not big, and it gives 4-channel RAM, 6 cores but slightly lower overclocking potential.

Go with the 5820K. HEDT is awesome.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
when can we expect benchmarks on the 540 iris?

I'm counting on AnandTech to grab a Core i7 Surface Pro 4 before November 20th. I've been waiting for a 2C+GT3e SKU for quite some time, anxious to see some benchmarks.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
I've been wondering about the Skylake Core-M processors. Let's say you wanted to play older computer games, and you a tablet with the m3 processor, what would that be equal to in terms of gaming desktops ?

Maybe a desktop from around 2007 ? (core 2 duo, GeForce 8-series)

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Eurogamer's Core i3 6100 Review

jpg

Lots of interesting stuff.

For those that still don't believe Skylake benefits from fast memory:

Additionally, we benched the i3 6100 twice, first of all using the full 2666MHz bandwidth of our Corsair Vengeance DDR4 modules, and then paring that back to 2133MHz in order to match the memory restrictions on the H170, B150 and H110 motherboards more likely to be utilised for budget builds. And as the benchmarks came in, the results were fascinating - in many CPU-bound scenarios, the i3 6100 is significantly faster with higher-speed RAM.

The two i3 runs are probably the more fascinating comparison in the table above. Consider the difference that 2666MHz memory makes to performance. That Ryse figure is no error - performance falls through the floor when running with lower levels of bandwidth, while faster RAM offers 11 per cent more performance on GTA 5 and Far Cry 4. And again, those figures are averages spread out across the benchmark run - it's noticeably higher at any given point during 'in the moment' gameplay.

We are hearing rumours that some H170 boards may unofficially support memory overclocking too, which could save some money if true. On top of that, 2133MHz RAM is the absolute baseline - hunt around for 2666MHz sticks.

The Ryse results are particularly interesting. Haswell Core i3 manages 88.7 FPS with DDR3-2133 while Skylake Core i3 58.5 FPS with DDR4-2133. Once they used DDR4-2666, Skylake Core i3 delivered 103.2 FPS. :eek:
Also generally Skylake benefited more from 25% higher clocked memory (2666 vs 2133) than Haswell with 33.3% higher clocked memory (2133 vs 1600).

The IPC gain is even more relevant here than what we saw with the first quad-core models:

It's worth repeating that clock speeds are not like-for-like, but we are seeing improvements north of 20 per cent between Skylake and Haswell here, and it's actually the case that (CryEngine apart) a Core i3 6100 with 2666MHz DDR4 is generally on par or even a little faster than an older Core i5 2500K with 1333MHz DDR3 when both systems are paired with a GTX 970. The same set-up also sees Skylake beat the AMD FX-8350 (paired with 1600MHz DDR3) in every game we tested bar Crysis 3 and The Witcher 3. Of course, those chips beg to be overclocked in a way that the i3 never can, but the bottom line is that in many gaming scenarios, the new i3 is capable of performance that belies its dual-core status.

CPU does matter:

The Skylake Core i3 6100 is an accomplished product bearing in mind its price-tag, and in conclusion, it's worth emphasising just how important performance is at this end of the market. High-end games are becoming more CPU-intensive, making it much more likely that the processor will be the bottleneck during any given gaming session - especially so at the budget end of the market. Every cycle matters in the more demanding areas of many modern titles, and in our testing, the Core i3 6100 is best in class.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review

Last edited: