Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 201 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
More XPS 12 leaks:

Source - link

12.5'' 4K IGZO screen, Core m7, up to 8GB RAM, 2x USB Type-C (Thunderbolt 3 enabled), 790 grams, full W10. Couldn't ask for a better Skylake-Y showcase than this. I'd take this over the iPad Pro any day.

North01

Dec 18, 2013
12.5'' 4K IGZO screen, Core m7, up to 8GB RAM, 2x USB Type-C (Thunderbolt 3 enabled), 790 grams, full W10. Couldn't ask for a better Skylake-Y showcase than this. I'd take this over the iPad Pro any day.

Not that it really matters, but I'm surprised it wasn't lighter than 1.74 lbs. That's about the same as Surface Pro 3 which has a fan and a kickstand.

Otherwise the specifications look pretty good. I'm more curious about the price though. Ideally it would start around $600 for the base model (Core m3, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1080p display), but I have a feeling it will be higher than that.

The Lenovo Miix 700 uses Skylake Core m and it starts at $699 with the keyboard included. I'm not sure if the Wacom stylus is included in that price, but I can't imagine it costing much ($39?).

Lenovo+Miix+700+fullbleed.jpg

There's also the upcoming Surface Pro 4 which should be announced next week.

Personally, I prefer the 3:2 ratio of the Surface and Lenovo.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
Looks like Intel went very cheap also with the packaging, along the infamous cheap-TIM issue.
I received my 6700K to only find the CPU itself as lose inside the box, out from it's protective lid. Called the store and returned back.

Lucky though, I opened up Amazon to find two in-stock and I've grabbed one.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
The Lenovo MIIX 700 looks ideal for me, though I will still wait to see if the reviews are ok before buying it.

Surface Pro 4 and XPS 12 could also be possible options, but there are no details yet on the Pro 4, and the XPS 12 looks like it's going to be more expensive. Also, I prefer tablets with a built in kickstand, which the XPS 12 does not have.

Some leaks also suggest that Samsung is working on a 12-inch Windows tablet, but no details there yet.

Infernus

Jun 1, 2003
Looks like Intel went very cheap also with the packaging, along the infamous cheap-TIM issue.
I received my 6700K to only find the CPU itself as lose inside the box, out from it's protective lid. Called the store and returned back.

Same boat I was in except from Newegg - first Intel CPU since the Celeron 300A for me (16 years ago), expected a little better packaging for a $350 cpu. Heck I got a tin with my FX-8350.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
Same boat I was in except from Newegg - first Intel CPU since the Celeron 300A for me (16 years ago), expected a little better packaging for a $350 cpu. Heck I got a tin with my FX-8350.
Wow, that's pretty long time you had been away from Intel.

Last boxed processor was the i7 920, no comparsion at all, and it really give an impression about a powerful and expensive piece of tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Since there are no pins on the chip, it doesn't need all that much protection.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015

That's consequences of the monopoly... if people don't demand Intel about it, they will act as jerks.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
CPU-World: Intel to enable Software Guard Extensions on Skylake processors

One of the new x86 instruction set extensions in the Skylake microarchitecture is Intel SGX, or Intel Software Guard Extensions. These instructions allow applications to create a protected area (an enclave) in system memory. Such protected areas may contain user data, and code, managing this data. Enclaves cannot be accessed by other programs, running on the system, even when they have elevated privileges. That will allow programs to "hide" user's confidential or sensitive data from malware and spyware.

It seems that the first wave of Skylake desktop and server processors had this feature disabled. Intel recently published a Product Change Notification document, which indicates that future Skylake CPUs will have Software Guard Extensions enabled. New CPUs will available starting from October 26, and they will have different S-Spec numbers. Core stepping will not change therefore BIOS upgrade will not be required. Below is a list of Skylake models, and S-spec numbers with and without SGX support:

www.cpu-world.com/news_2015/2015100...e_Guard_Extensions_on_Skylake_processors.html

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Skylake-EP launching H1/2017

Intel-Server-Boards-Chassis-and-Systems-Roadmap.jpg

Purley-Spread-Core-Wolf-Pass.jpg

Intel-Omni-Path-Fabric.png

https://news.xfastest.com/intel/11749/intel-purley-platform-mini-preview-10052015

Up to 160W, and the Purley platform (Socket P) will support Cannonlake-EP. :)
That makes me hopeful LGA1151 will support mainstream Cannonlake too.

Looks like Intel will skip Kaby Lake for the Xeon E3 line.

Oh, I hope the laughable rumours of no Skylake-E till late 2017 or 2018 were put to rest now.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Nice find Sweepr. Also shows the slow progress of DDR4. 2667 and 2933 in 2017.
3XPoint DIMMs will be extremely interesting to see in action.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Intel Slylake Decoded

2015-10-05_085420.png

Golem @ Google Translate said:
Intel has updated its Programming Guide for in-house CPU architectures and extended by the Skylake technology (PDF). According to the document Intel has revised especially at the front end of the new architecture and worked on the speed of the cache, the back end, however, contrary to previous statements corresponds the Haswell architecture.

In front are as usual four decoder installed, the fashion had been fetched instructions into micro-ops. Unlike all core architectures from Haswell can Skylake technique however decode five or six instead of four micro-ops (μOps) per clock cycle. However, when Intel talks about μOps so partly fused assembler instructions are meant Intel Macro instead micro-ops called and used since the core architecture.

www.golem.de/news/cpu-architektur-i...rechnet-mehr-in-einem-rutsch-1510-116680.html

A closer look at the Intel Skylake processors that could power the Surface Pro 4

Tomorrow is the big day when Microsoft will show off a new lineup of Windows 10 devices to showcase the best Windows 10 has to offer for the next generation of PCs. Don’t forget to bookmark our page which will contain all of the latest news to come from tomorrow’s events as we will be there in person covering it all.

We can almost certainly expect to hear about the rumored Lumia 950/950XL, and maybe the 550, which will be the first phones to launch running Windows 10 Mobile. We should also expect to see the Microsoft Band 2 and of course hopefully the next generation of the Surface Pro. Recently, we’ve reported on the multiple, almost overwhelming, amount of leaks of the new Lumias. We’ve even seen renders of the new version of the Band, but despite all of these leaks, we still know very little about the Surface Pro 4.

One thing is for sure, it has been a long time since a refresh of the Surface Pro line. The Surface Pro 3 was announced 16 months ago, also at an event in New York. For comparison, previous cycles between iterations of the Surface Pro line were less than one year. One of the most likely reasons for the long delay in introducing a new Surface Pro is because of the delay in Intel’s latest generation of processors, the 6th Generation Intel Core chips, also known as the Skylake microarchitecture.

www.winbeta.org/news/closer-look-intel-skylake-processors-power-surface-pro-4

So, Surface Pro 4 announcement tomorrow. Skylake is pretty much a given but which SKU(s)?
Only 15W Skylake-U?
Skylake-Y and/or 15W Skylake-U and/or 28W Skylake-U depending on the version?
Skylake-H?
icon10.gif

Rumours talk about 12'' and 14'' versions.
Intel has used Y-series chips in the past, I'm looking at you entry-level Surface Pro 3 (Core i3).
I'm hoping at least one of them will include GT3e graphics (optional), of course this model would become available at a later date (Q1-2016).

Mar 10, 2006
Intel Slylake Decoded

2015-10-05_085420.png

www.golem.de/news/cpu-architektur-i...rechnet-mehr-in-einem-rutsch-1510-116680.html

A closer look at the Intel Skylake processors that could power the Surface Pro 4

www.winbeta.org/news/closer-look-intel-skylake-processors-power-surface-pro-4

So, Surface Pro 4 announcement tomorrow. Skylake is pretty much a given but which SKU(s)?
Only 15W Skylake-U?
Skylake-Y and/or 15W Skylake-U and/or 28W Skylake-U depending on the version?
Skylake-H?
icon10.gif

Rumours talk about 12'' and 14'' versions.
Intel has used Y-series chips in the past, I'm looking at you entry-level Surface Pro 3 (Core i3).
I'm hoping at least one of them will include GT3e graphics (optional), of course this model would become available at a later date (Q1-2016).

My guess is Skylake-Y for the 12-inch version, Skylake-U for the 14-inch.

Be1n

May 13, 2013
Will the NUCs this time around support overclocked ram? I remember the broadwell NUCs ran 1866mhz ram.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Star Wars Battlefront Requirements

Minimum PC System Requirements
Processor (Intel): Intel i3 6300T or equivalent
Memory: 8GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Graphics card (ATI): ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Recommended PC System Requirements
Processor (Intel): Intel i5 6600 or equivalent
Memory: 16GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-battlefront-system-requirements-released/#comment-2292824605

Ps: Microsoft Windows 10 event happening right now.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Some bits about the Surface Pro 4:

53_575px.png

microsoft-surface-pro-3jpg.0.jpg

Skylake confirmed
50% faster than Macbook Air
30% faster than the Surface Pro 3
Up to 16GB RAM / 1TB storage
Active cooling, 8.4mm thick

Last edited: