Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oppenheimer

Sep 30, 2015
According to Notebookcheck:
The two Skylake quad-cores could even run as 35-Watt chips under practical maximum load for the CPU, and the specified TDP of 45 Watts should not be a problem for the top model i7-6920HQ.

I wonder if the 6700HQ could be used inside a 13.3" or 14" laptop. I found some 14" laptops with a 37W processor and according to reviews they didn't seem to throttle all that much even when pushed to max load. I don't know how applicable these separate scenarios are but I sure would be excited if there was a 6700HQ in a truly compact laptop this year.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
According to Notebookcheck:

I wonder if the 6700HQ could be used inside a 13.3" or 14" laptop. I found some 14" laptops with a 37W processor and according to reviews they didn't seem to throttle all that much even when pushed to max load. I don't know how applicable these separate scenarios are but I sure would be excited if there was a 6700HQ in a truly compact laptop this year.

My X220 is a 12.5" laptop with long battery life and 35W processor, 2nd generation Core processor. It throttles sometimes now, probably just dust though. Lenovo has since switched the design over to 15W processors, and probably won't put this in, but they easily could.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Perhaps this has already been discussed, but one bright spot I noticed today on Intel ark is that there are cheap skylake processors listed as supporting vt-d (iommu for passthrough of hardware to virtual machines)

I haven't seen any of these in the wild but they are listed as launched, here is a pentium with a tray price of $64. http://ark.intel.com/products/88179/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4400-3M-Cache-3_30-GHz There are also some i3s listed.

Prior to this, you were looking at an i5 to get this feature, and for most of their existence the K line still didn't have it. So that meant a ~$200 entry fee if you wanted to go Intel. Even if you wanted 4 cores otherwise, it was still a ~$120 more expensive versus the Intel starting point.

Its not real useful to me, since it seems Skylake only wants DDR4 or (less common) DDR3L...neither of which I have and I don't see any real reason to switch too. The cheapest way to get this feature is still to go FM2 and AMD since their cheapest $45 dual core has AMD-Vi. And I can use DDR3 with that platform. But The AM1 platform seems to lack it entirely (I haven't heard of anyone getting it working or seen any motherboard screenshots with the option available) so they are losing that some of that niche in the future. A tiny market of course but one that is of personal interest to me.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
But.. Who are using virtual machines now since everything are on the cloud?

Also and sounds rare... The average Joe would be happy with a Single Core with HT at 3.2Ghz

throwa

Aug 23, 2015
So...... where are the frickin chips??? :mad:

Allegedly according to WCCFtech everything was supposed to be out September 27th, but it is now September 30th and still no sign of Skylake desktop chips. I saw some "here and there" chips between Amazon and Newegg, and saw one over on Tigerdirect, but they seem very sparse and unavailable.

And forget about 6600k/6700k, constantly out of stock.

What's the deal?? is this a sloppy launch or what? :hmm:

I recall that previous launches seemed fairly "smooth" in comparison.

And why are Skylake laptops still no-where to be seen?

worst Intel launch ever

as a side note, i saw that there are "scalper" sellers over on Amazon selling skylake Pentiums and Core i3's at huge mark-ups ($100+ for Pentium and $150-$200+ for Core i3). Make sure you avoid/watch out for these scammers, just thought I would mention that as public service announcement.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Allegedly according to WCCFtech everything was supposed to be out September 27th, but it is now September 30th and still no sign of Skylake desktop chips. I saw some "here and there" chips between Amazon and Newegg, and saw one over on Tigerdirect, but they seem very sparse and unavailable.

worst Intel launch ever

as a side note, i saw that there are "scalper" sellers over on Amazon selling skylake Pentiums and Core i3's at huge mark-ups ($100+ for Pentium and $150-$200+ for Core i3). Make sure you avoid/watch out for these scammers, just thought I would mention that as public service announcement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 600565702

Newegg got 6700K, 6700, 6500 and 6400 in stock.

nvgpu

Sep 12, 2014
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...4-ia-32-architectures-optimization-manual.pdf

http://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=154100&curpostid=154100

There're some new details on Skylake:

* Front end now has 5 decoders from the usual 4.
* Micro-ops cache can deliver 6 m-ops/cycle instead of 4.
* loop-buffer size is now 64 m-ops
* bigger OoO structures (but no official numbers cited, IIRC ROB size is 224 entries, RS size is 97)
* page split load penalities from 100 cycles to 5 (that's an improvement!)
* longer idle time for the PAUSE instruction
* faster L3, 2-cycles per line now

iSkylaker

May 9, 2015

worst Intel launch ever

I think you aren't up to date or haven't looked enough. Newegg is having continuous stock without combo requirement for about a week now, Microcenter for its MSRP as well, TigerDirect, B&H all of those have the chip in stock. The only exception is Amazon which only list them for small windows of 5-10min. Is safe to say the chip is in almost full availability.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
"nearly no increase?" I guess all that's left is to compare Intel to itself, using the most negative verbiage you can conjure, then? Or do you wish to compare them to the competition?

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
"nearly no increase?" I guess all that's left is to compare Intel to itself, using the most negative verbiage you can conjure, then? Or do you wish to compare them to the competition?
There is competition?

Apple A9X is having the same level of a Core i3 U tier....

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Skylake's wider than HSW/BDW, yet the increase in IPC is minor. How far could you go beyond Skylake's IPC? It seems Apple has hit the same wall with A9.
Wider execution, bigger windows and queues are good for extracting ILP. OTOH improving mem subsystem, MP performance, and other components not belonging to the "inner core" reduce the effect of these IPC killers.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Skylake's wider than HSW/BDW, yet the increase in IPC is minor. How far could you go beyond Skylake's IPC? It seems Apple has hit the same wall with A9.

Apple still have room to move (clock speed, instructions and number of cores)

North01

Dec 18, 2013
More XPS 12 leaks:

xps-13.0.jpg

Dell-XPS-12-9250-1443724851-0-0.0.png

Dell-XPS-12-9250-1443724843-0-0.0.png

Dell-XPS-12-9250-1443724861-0-0.0.png

Source - link

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010

Yes, Skylake has nearly no IPC increase over Broadwell. Just like I said. Only a few percent.

It's quite well known, so I don't know why you're trying to make it sound so controversial.