Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Note that he was talking about Skylake based laptops. Very few laptop models seem to actually be available stores in US and Europe, and availability is extremely scarce. And Core Y models I've not been able to find any at all. Not even any reviews online. If you've managed to find it, please share, because I think there are others looking for it too...

We know since weeks or months that first Notebooks will be available in October. Don't you read the forum? You are asking so much questions all the time.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
We know since weeks or months that first Notebooks will be available in October. Don't you read the forum? You are asking so much questions all the time.

We all know his personal agenda. So it somehow has to be delayed. Else the drama goes out of it.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
We all know his personal agenda. So it somehow has to be delayed. Else the drama goes out of it.

The reason I'm asking is that I intend to buy a Skylake based laptop if they turn out good, so I would like to see reviews on actual products ASAP. You on the other hand are only interested in defending your fanboy-company, and are busy spinning everything in a way that Intel never experience any delays.

BTW: Here is what you said just a month ago when I raised the issue that Skylake based Laptops might not actually be widely available in US and Europe in September:

September 1 in Asia, September 27 in most of the rest of the world. See:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2015/...edule_of_Intel_mobile_Skylake_processors.html

But from what I've heard there are several OEMs that have the stocks filled with old Haswell/Broadwell laptops, so they might intentionally delay releasing new Skylake based models until they have cleared out old inventory.
Europe still get. And laptops are already listed and ready for sale.
So are you changing your mind now again that a different position suits you?

I myself was actually hoping there would be at least a couple of different laptops widely available in September, because that's the info that has been published so far. But now it seems to turn out even worse than that... very few models available, and extremely scarce availability... And I've not been able to find a single Skylake Core Y based model or even review...

Last edited:

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010

What has been communicated is that some OEMs might intentionally delay releasing laptops until October/November. Not that all, or nearly all, would do that. So is it strange if we ask other forum members what laptops they have seen available by now (if any)?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
Yup, thanks! I actually already linked to a similar one before when -sandro- asked. However it seems both him and me are looking for Skylake laptops in the U series (or Y series possibly in my case).

No problem! Yeah, I think we won't see the U/Y series-based laptops until October or November, sadly.

I'll keep an eye out though and if I come across anything I'll post it in this thread.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Wut? You do know I already have an Intel desktop, right? But you're probably in denial of that too, not that I care...
I already told you how, just call your account manager.
My account manager? I'm do not intend to buy for a company. Neither do most of the people on this forum.
And yes they are listed and yes you can buy them.
Got any links to such U and Y series laptops available in Europe or US?

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
CPU World has an article with info about the Xeon E3 V5 models. The E3-1225V5 has 8 MB Cache L3 instead of the 6 reported previously, at least according to them.
If you want a Xeon E3 with IGP, the 1225V3 and 1245V3 are the models to get, depending on price (One has everything but Hyper Threading, the other has everything including it). Some people also likes to use the Xeons that don't have IGP, but the price difference is usually 20 or 30 U$D which is minimal considering it represents around half of the die.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010

Good find! The first one says "Noch nicht verfügbar" (Not yet available) though. But the one on eBay seems to be in stock.

In my case I'm looking for something along these lines though: 13.3", 1080p, 8 GB RAM, 256/512GB SSD, good quality keyboard & trackpad, good connectivity, and low weight (< 1.2-1.3 kg). Most probably a CPU like 6200U or 6Y57, depending on how the Core Y performs.

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Many Skylake notebooks announced by MSI.

MSI-Gaming-Laptop-GE72_w_755.jpg

MSI-Gaming-Laptops_w_755.jpg

MSI-Prestige-Laptops_w_755.jpg

www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-skylake-notebooks,30182.html

GS60 Review
GT72 Dominator Review

GS60 Stealth is my favourite, impressive specs for a 1.9 kg (0.78'') notebook.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
So GT4 isn't until Kaby Lake? Dang, I don't see how a GT4 Skylake SKU wouldn't be successful. It is competitive with Nvidia's better mobile cards that are mostly found in gaming laptops. How are the Core i7's with weak igpu's any less niche?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
So GT4 isn't until Kaby Lake? Dang, I don't see how a GT4 Skylake SKU wouldn't be successful. It is competitive with Nvidia's better mobile cards that are mostly found in gaming laptops. How are the Core i7's with weak igpu's any less niche?

There will be BGA Skylake CPUs with GT4e for mobile, All in One's & NUC-style desktop PCs and Xeon E3-1500 (v5). First parts will launch in Q1-2016.

2437114655F6A3C013594B

2135994655F6A3C017FEE8

The fact that Intel is not confirming the existence of LGA1150 Skylake GT4e at this point is creating this confusion. If you believe the leaked Bench-life stuff there will be LGA Skylake GT4e replacing 5675C/5775C as part of the Kaby Lake family (H2-2016).

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
The fact that Intel is not confirming the existence of LGA1150 Skylake GT4e at this point is creating this confusion. If you believe the leaked Bench-life stuff there will be LGA Skylake GT4e replacing 5675C/5775C as part of the Kaby Lake family (H2-2016).
So Kabylake is just beefed up IGP (gen10?) with the same Skylake cores, I thought (rather expected) it'd be 14nm version of Devil's Canyon plus a better GPU :\

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
So Kabylake is just beefed up IGP (gen10?) with the same Skylake cores, I thought (rather expected) it'd be 14nm version of Devil's Canyon plus a better GPU :\

Kaby Lake will replace all Skylake desktop parts, 'K' series included.

Intel-Kaby-Lake-Processor-SKU-Lineup-635x491.png

You're most likely looking at higher-clocked Skylake cores and a new GPU architecture (once again). Perhaps improved OC capability and a few extra goodies too.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well, if you think about it, Devil's Canyon wasn't much better than Haswell anyway. If you were a Haswell 4770k owner that did a delid and hit 4.6-4.7 GHz (or so) then the 4790k was no improvement whatsoever.

So, bearing that in mind, Gen10 graphics will be a bigger upgrade than anything people saw moving from Haswell to Devil's Canyon. There will definitely be room for improvement on the Skylake TIM as well.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah it's cancelled. I guess the main question is whether the BGA models are also cancelled... we'll have to see. There is no Kabylake 4+4e so if Intel were to they don't have anything to replace it with.

As for Kabylake-K, don't expect much outside of the IGP. It would make sense for the i7 to restore the clock speeds that the 6700K was supposed to have (4.2 full turbo and 4.4 single core turbo).

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Yeah it's cancelled. I guess the main question is whether the BGA models are also cancelled... we'll have to see. There is no Kabylake 4+4e so if Intel were to they don't have anything to replace it with.

As for Kabylake-K, don't expect much outside of the IGP. It would make sense for the i7 to restore the clock speeds that the 6700K was supposed to have (4.2 full turbo and 4.4 single core turbo).

BGA 4C+GT4e is definitely happening, there's official slides from the last IDF and earlier this month:

9%20-%20Scale.jpg

As for a LGA version, this is what they said:

However, we were told that a quad core desktop part with eDRAM (either 4+2e or 4+4e) is currently not POR, which means &#8216;plan of record&#8217;. To avoid confusion, because technically a 3+2 is not on their &#8216;plan of record), having been mentioned as not POR means means that Intel has looked at it as an option but at this time has not decided to release it at this time - if they ever will is another question to ask Intel. For users who actively want an LGA1151 4+4e configuration, make sure your Intel representative knows it, because customer requests travel up the chain.

To me this only indicates we won't see such a product a part of the Skylake lineup which is why Intel is not talking about it right now, but it says nothing about a possible launch closer to or after Kaby Lake (much like Broadwell GT3e and Skylake GT2). Broadwell-K's response will dictate the final answer.

Mar 10, 2006
BGA 4C+GT4e is definitely happening, there's official slides from the last IDF and earlier this month:

9%20-%20Scale.jpg

As for a LGA version, this is what they said:

To me this only indicates we won't see such a product a part of the Skylake lineup which is why Intel is not talking about it right now, but it says nothing about a possible launch closer to or after Kaby Lake (much like Broadwell GT3e and Skylake GT2). Broadwell-K's response will dictate the final answer.

I think the 5775c/5675c will sell extremely poorly and Intel will ultimately choose not to release an eDRAM-toting LGA Skylake chip.

For the premium that Intel seems to be charging for those eDRAM chips, I'd much rather have a 5820K with a good cooler.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
For the premium that Intel seems to be charging for those eDRAM chips, I'd much rather have a 5820K with a good cooler.

eDRAM + 6700K would be extra nice on Skylake tho due to changed caching mode. 128MB available for I/O etc would play nicely with all those NVM SSD's and DX12 GPUs by speeding up moving data around and reducing overall and worst case latencies.