Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 144 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I ordered mine on August 5th. Still have time to return if but unsure if its really worth it to pay more for say ddr4 3000(extra 30 bucks)

Especially since I don't really overclock.
I know why get a k and not overclock? Like the higher stock speeds and too afraid of making a mistake and frying my pc.

If the 3000 is only $30 more than 2133 I would think its faster in most scenarios even if the latency is rather bad. I would probably pay that difference.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I know the feeling.. in a similar example, I got hammered on another forums for saying that I wanted 6700K over 5820K. I just think that the guaranteed stock clockspeed with better IPC is more useful to me than the extra cores. It's not that I don't want the extra cores, its just that the alternatives are what they are... A hotter, much lower clocked HW-E with lower nominal OC potential compared to a newer Skylake architecture that delivers at stock.

Yep my exact thoughts. I want to say I have a 6c/12t CPU but when the single threaded apps I use most go way down because I get a chip that can't do over ~4.2ghz because I am not on water I start to think a solid 4.4-4.5ghz 6700k is a better buy.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
My Asus z170 Deluxe has just arrived, will soon be combined with the 6700k that has been sat on my desk for the last week and some Gskill 3200 DDR4 :D

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I'm going to wait and see if there'll be any Intel NUCs with the Skylake processor, looking to getting another one but will wait. Currently I have an i3 4010U NUC and I love it.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I'm going to wait and see if there'll be any Intel NUCs with the Skylake processor, looking to getting another one but will wait. Currently I have an i3 4010U NUC and I love it.

There will be. They are coming in Q3 and Q4.

Intel-Skylake-NUC_Swift-Canyon.png

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Regarding mobile Skylake, is it Y series in late 2015Q3 (actual products likely in 2015Q4), and the rest i.e. U and H series in 2016Q1?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Regarding mobile Skylake, is it Y series in late 2015Q3 (actual products likely in 2015Q4), and the rest i.e. U and H series in 2016Q1?

Q1-2016 refers to 28W U (GT3/GT3e) parts. Skylake-Y, Skylake-U (15W) and Skylake-H are coming in September/October. There's the leaked release months in the first post. Surface Pro 4 will have it in October.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
My Asus z170 Deluxe has just arrived, will soon be combined with the 6700k that has been sat on my desk for the last week and some Gskill 3200 DDR4 :D

So jealous.......going to be my next build in a few months.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Q1-2016 refers to 28W U (GT3/GT3e) parts. Skylake-Y, Skylake-U (15W) and Skylake-H are coming in September/October. There's the leaked release months in the first post. Surface Pro 4 will have it in October.

Ok, thanks. I'm primarily interested in the Y and U series. As I understand it that's where the priority has been for Skylake. Hopefully we'll get some more info on that at IDF next week.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Which SSD did you go with in the end?

I'm using my Samsung 830 at the moment, waiting for the Samsung NVMe drive to be readily available before installing windows 10.

Sorry for the wait everyone, by the time I'd finished wrestling with all the wiring I needed some sleep.

It's up and running with my old OS, couldn't install a new OS due to USB3 issues which will be resolved now that a friend has lent me their external optical drive. (asus says you need access to 2 dvd drives when installing windows 7)

Am going to do a fresh install soon, but in the mean time here are some stock speed Geekbench results. The only tweaking i've done is enable XMP on my 3200MHz ram.

32bit

64bit

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
I'm using my Samsung 830 at the moment, waiting for the Samsung NVMe drive to be readily available before installing windows 10.

Sorry for the wait everyone, by the time I'd finished wrestling with all the wiring I needed some sleep.

It's up and running with my old OS, couldn't install a new OS due to USB3 issues which will be resolved now that a friend has lent me their external optical drive. (asus says you need access to 2 dvd drives when installing windows 7)

Am going to do a fresh install soon, but in the mean time here are some stock speed Geekbench results. The only tweaking i've done is enable XMP on my 3200MHz ram.

32bit

64bit

Nice. Are you going to OC? If so what cooler? Please show us your results. Take a few days off work to do it ;p

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
From Eurogamer:
Eurogamer said:
Take a look at what happens there when we overclock: there's an enormous improvement to overall performance - the boost actually looks unfeasibly high. The i5 propels itself from behind the Devil's Canyon i7 and pulls ahead.
Hmm, wonder what would happen if they had chosen to also overclock the 4790k to 4.8 Ghz, instead of forcing it to run @ 4.2 Ghz, with the slowest RAM he could find? lmfao

If the ever needs more CPU performance Core i7 Skylake GT4e (eDRAM) or Kabylake will be available.
Yes, because spending an extra $250 for the i5 is brilliant, compared to just waiting until the processor that you needed/wanted all along was available. :rolleyes:

IMHO OCed Core i5 6600K will be able to push high-end dGPUs for generations to come.
Yeah, because giving a 14nm CPU 1.375V is something that anyone with above a single-digit IQ would do, especially long-term...

I'm actually quite excited about the new Z170 chipset, and all that it brings to the table. That actually looks like a good enough reason to upgrade to a Skylake CPU to me, if one needed an upgrade, even though they just barely have any edge at all in IPC. I'll most likely buy one, after their 14nm process has gotten a bit more refined, and doesn't require 1.375V to run a 6600k @ 4.5 Ghz.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Nice. Are you going to OC? If so what cooler? Please show us your results. Take a few days off work to do it ;p

I think i'm going to need a watercooler before I overclock as with my current cooler it is hitting 81c. in intel burn test and 71c in prime64. On my last cpu it wouldn't go above 60c.

Can anyone recommend a good quiet AIO?

Huh. Bizarre!

It needs to have access to the USB3 drivers on the Asus disc whilst the windows disc is in or the keyboard and mouse won't work. Even if I plug it in to a USB2 port.

Last edited:

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
I think i'm going to need a watercooler before I overclock as with my current cooler it is hitting 81c. in intel burn test and 71c in prime64. On my last cpu it wouldn't go above 60c.

It needs to have access to the USB3 drivers on the Asus disc whilst the windows disc is in or the keyboard and mouse won't work. Even if I plug it in to a USB2 port.

I don't know how up to date Bench is, but it has a section on this http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/774

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006

What kind of case are you using? Case size usually dictates the kind of AIO you are able to use.

Did you apply new thermal paste with the new cpu or just use the stock cooler?

I've used NZXT Kraken K60 and Corsair H100 AIOs with great success. Both of my rigs below are using Custom water cooling on both the cpu and gpu/gpus with tons of rad space.

Last edited:

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
What kind of case are you using? I've used NZXT Kraken and Corsair AIOs with great success. Both of my rigs below are using Custom water cooling on both the cpu and gpu/gpus with tons of rad space.

Nanoxia Deep Silence 1. Plenty of room, but i want to keep it as quiet as possible. The corsair coolers seem to be too loud.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Hmm, wonder what would happen if they had chosen to also overclock the 4790k to 4.8 Ghz, instead of forcing it to run @ 4.2 Ghz, with the slowest RAM he could find? lmfao

What would happen is, the best clock per clock performance would still win. We already know Skylake is often >10% faster in CPU limited games at equal clocks with normalized memory clocks/latency and real latency. There is always the laughable Anandtech review if you own Haswell and want to pretend it's on par with Skylake though.

Yeah, because giving a 14nm CPU 1.375V is something that anyone with above a single-digit IQ would do, especially long-term...

Thank god you dont need this voltage to obtain a reasonable OC out of Skylake, as proven by many reviews.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
What would happen is, the best clock per clock performance would still win. We already know Skylake is often >10% faster in CPU limited games at equal clocks with normalized memory clocks/latency and real latency. There is always the laughable Anandtech review if you own Haswell and want to pretend it's on par with Skylake though.
So, if the 'author' hasn't been paid off by Intel to make the Skylake seem as if it has high IPC, like the author you quoted, then it doesn't count, huh? I'll let you know when the things you say in this thread start to surprise me.;)

Thank god you dont need this voltage to obtain a reasonable OC out of Skylake, as proven by many reviews.

Not according to the guy whom you quoted:

Eurogamer said:
As it is, our CPU sample topped out at 4.5GHz - anything higher and one of the cores wouldn't operate correctly, even when we moved voltage into the 1.4v territory (not something we'd recommend generally - our Skylake sample got very hot at this level). Sticking to 4.5GHz and 1.375v...