Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 523 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And undisputed, they have the power advantage this time, and that matters to me. At 50% less power usage. Those of us that have multiple CPU rigs running 24/7 can see the difference the first month in the power bill.
That's why I am now the owner of several Ryzen rigs. :) (Spent more on CPUs, for these rigs, than I've spent in a while, at least looking at the cost of individual CPUs. At least compared to my usual / previous CPU fare, like Intel Celerons and Pentiums. The Ryzen CPUs were a bit more expensive than I spent on my AMD Thubans. They perform amazingly better though, so it was def. worth it.)

Edit: I primarily do DC on my "big" rigs, not gaming, so gaming performance for me was secondary. With a decent GPU, and sufficient resolution, though, Ryzen is mostly neck-and-neck with Intel CPUs for gaming too, although I would hesitate slightly to recommend Ryzen for someone looking for 144Hz 1080P gaming.

Edit: Looking at the CPU-Z 1.79.1 benchmark scores, for my G4600 CPU, and my Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, the ST scores are similar between the two (Ryzen has Turbo and XFR for the single-core scores, G4600 has no Turbo), and the Ryzen 5 1600 scores nearly 3X in MT.

So, my Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, is basically equivalent to THREE G4600 CPUs bolted together in terms of performance in CPU-Z's benchmark. Which, given AMD's not-so-distant history, is pretty doggone good. For less than 3X the price.

Not to mention, the added L3 cache of the Ryzen 5 1600, 16MB, whereas my G4600 has 3MB. So, triple that, and you get 9MB. So Ryzen has more L3 cache. Plus, it has AVX, which is used in some of my scientific apps.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The graphs are hardly "meaningless" because they do not show the one scenario that you must have quoted at least 50 times in one or another various forums. I hate to tell you, but there *are* other games than BF1 multiplayer. Broadwell E, mainstream i7, and even the much maligned Skylake X are *all* faster than any Ryzen cpu in GTA V, Prey, Witcher 3, and ROTTR. (That is actually every game tested, BTW, except for DOOM which gives the same result for essentially every cpu) Even worse for Ryzen, the highest clocked chips have virtually zero overclocking headroom, and still lose every benchmark in the review, while most of the intel chips can still be overclocked.
So Ryzen is a multipurpose CPU, that wins in many productivity benchmarks, looses in games by a small margin and uses 66% of the power. Oh, and costs less too.

You can spin it any way you want.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
So Ryzen is a multipurpose CPU, that wins in many productivity benchmarks, looses in games by a small margin and uses 66% of the power. Oh, and costs less too.
You can spin it any way you want.
@Markfw : Now that it's been a few weeks, how is your "cheapie" R7 1700 setup holding up?
Any problems with the VRM?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, Zucker2k got me started on this after he trashed Ryzen, but we really should get back to the thread subject we are talking about, Skylake-x.

Sorry to the others in this thread, lets get back to the main topic of this thread.

Reactions: Drazick

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Well, gee since its been running 24/7@100% with no problems for MONTHS. It doesn't use much power, so why would it have problems with the VRMS ?
That post borders on a callout, I hope you did not mean it that way,
Not at all! Genuine curiosity since I haven't been keeping up with the Ryzen thread.
Good to know that the "cheapie" B350 mobos can hang in there with OCed Ryzen7s.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Not at all! Genuine curiosity since I haven't been keeping up with the Ryzen thread.
Good to know that the "cheapie" B350 mobos can hang in there with OCed Ryzen7s.
OK, My last reply on the Ryzens in this thread (I hope). I even edited my post after I realized your intent, and the only downside to the "cheapies" is the fact they don't OC as well.

IMO

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Info is much appreciated! Now we can get back to dancing with the one who brought us (Skylake-X) :)

Wonder how a True120 copper would fare with SK-X...
news_U120-TRUE-coppers.jpg

Last edited:

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Agree. Just add that for skl x if you want to keep noise levels in check or comparable to either r7 or bwe you are in for a massive platform cost addition. It matters for some of us noise sensitive. I dont know if its actually practically possible to keep temps below 70c and at the same time noise in check without delidding. On the plus; 7800x is a cheaper cpu so delidding is a far more viable road here than say a 7900x.

You can also debate how comparable a oc 1700 with b350 is vs a oc 7800x anyway. The total cost including ps and cooling is more than 2 times as high.

In comparison i wouldnt be surpriced if a tr 12c %wise is closer to a 7800x for total cost compared to a 1700 b350. Add power and efficiency. Its kind of very different products even outside of its performance profile even if they both tilt to productivity side vs bwe or kbl.
And how did you arrive at this conclusion? Yes, the 10c beast seems close to the thermal limit with certain power virus workloads. The hexacore and octacore have no such issues. So stop spreading fud, please. 4.7Ghz stable oc for a daily driver is groundbreaking and no amount of bad-mouthing will change that. Check this thread for evidence: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-you-may-now-change-your-vote.2504706/page-37

Tapoer

May 10, 2015
Well my gaming must not be "real world" then, because if I am playing a cpu demanding game, I turn off any background tasks except for maybe one internet tab open for a walkthrough, which uses almost no cpu resources. (...)

Of course you close background tasks, you have to, your little 4 core CPU will choke. Which is what many people say, that a 4 core CPU cannot handle background tasks and heavy gaming without the game suffering.

I don't think many people that buy an expensive PC will want to waste time doing what you do, to then have to open all the tabs or programs again.

Reactions: ZGR

dwade

Jun 25, 2017
No Ryzen loses more than it wins in productivity against 7800x. There's a reason why Coffee Lake will max out at 6 cores because that's all they will need to keep the performance crown. 1800x at maxed overclock is still slower than a stock 7820x and uses more power.

16092009830l.jpg

"Mah chip runs on lower power because it's slower." - AMD logic

Trolling is not allowed
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
No Ryzen loses more than it wins in productivity against 7800x. There's a reason why Coffee Lake will max out at 6 cores because that's all they will need to keep the performance crown. 1800x at maxed overclock is still slower than a stock 7820x and uses more power.

*Snip*

"Mah chip runs on lower power because it's slower." - AMD logic
So edgy.

Cherrypicking works both ways, and we already have a moderator indicating not start with this crap again.

jj109

Dec 17, 2013
Of course you close background tasks, you have to, your little 4 core CPU will choke. Which is what many people say, that a 4 core CPU cannot handle background tasks and heavy gaming without the game suffering.

I don't think many people that buy an expensive PC will want to waste time doing what you do, to then have to open all the tabs or programs again.

You guys need to get your PCs checked for viruses, because the CPU utilization floor for my "little" Haswell 4 core is 5% CPU with the whole thing throttled back to minimum multiplier. That's with 30+ Chrome tabs, Aquasuite running, Logitech nonsense, Steam, and Mumble running.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
I am just now figuring out how to get the voltage offset to work how I want with my Gigabyte board. Coming from Asus, I have had some learning to do. The good new is, that now with the voltage no longer pinned at 1.235, the 7820x actually looks to be running a good bit cooler. I am 20 minutes into Prime 95 "Standard Blend" with AVX and my hottest core has been 79c. 9c cooler than it was with fixed voltage. It is actually spending much of it's time at 1.133v, which I would assume is because of the AVX offset lowering clocks.

I am going to let it run for a full hour and see how high the temps will climb. Then on to realbench.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Looking doubtful that Coffee Lake will launch next month, as per the previous rumours I read.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Prime95 with AVX "Standard Blend" 1-hour temp results with voltage offset working correctly. Hottest core hit 81*...not bad for a AIO

eglpWhm.png

Running realbench now

Reactions: pcp7 and Phynaz

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
MMM toasty. OC'd to 4.7 Ghz it uses 410 W in Blender. They call it "Skyhog", heh.

I realize that they are two different reviews, but something doesn't add up here. The power figures quoted by dwade show the 8c 7820x @ stock (3.6 GHz base clock) using only 280W at the wall for total system power. How do you get the 10c 7900x (3.3 GHz base clock) going all the way up to 410W? Lower base clock, same turbo, and it's not like Blender is going to use AVX512 so that's off the table. Something isn't right.

edit: nm that power figure is post-OC. I get it. 410W isn't "that bad" compared to the power figure for the OCed 7820x, assuming that 410W figure is total system power and not just power at the stocket.

Reactions: pcp7 and Drazick