Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 516 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Overall skylake x is a good chip in 7820 guise, but it's clearly not a great one, this is the first time in a decade I've seen Intel release a decent but not great chip in a decade (outside of baseband and atom)

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
What the... So overclocking the chip is hard due the hot chipset? So... OEMs and Intel made an analogue of the chipset of the Snapdragon 810?

What is going on?

Reactions: french toast

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
http://www.overclock.net/t/1631319/skylake-x-binning/150#post_26189935

This is Silicon Lottery:

It's not an isolated issue, even if it's a multifaceted one.

Okay, so that's two (2!!!!) people world wide having issues at the time of writing, and how many people currently have the platform...? This is typically what's wrong with the internet; 1 bad things gets out and it grows exponentially within mere hours and there's almost no coming back from it. So, I made my post above with the three links and I am going to leave it at that (and remember, I am not and will not be on the platform so I have no horse in this race) because I really do not feel like 'taking on' the entire internet that latches on and consumes any bad thread they can find. So...coffee refill! :D

ManyThreads

Mar 6, 2017
I ordered an Asus TUF Mk1 which has an 8 pin + 4 pin power connector - do you guys think that is enough for the 8C 7820 and a light OC to maybe 4.5 on all cores instead of just turbo 3.0?

UF Features:
TUF ENGINE! Power Design :

- 8 +2 Digital Phase Power Design
- TUF Components (Choke, Cap. & MOSFET; certified by military-standard)

1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I ordered an Asus TUF Mk1 which has an 8 pin + 4 pin power connector - do you guys think that is enough for the 8C 7820 and a light OC to maybe 4.5 on all cores instead of just turbo 3.0?

UF Features:
TUF ENGINE! Power Design :

- 8 +2 Digital Phase Power Design
- TUF Components (Choke, Cap. & MOSFET; certified by military-standard)

1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)

Congrats on your purchase: posting a few setup pics is now required (the same goes for you @Edrick) :D

You'll only need the 8-pin CPU connector for anything at least up to the 10C + OC (the others we don't know because they aren't out yet).

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Okay, so that's two (2!!!!) people world wide having issues at the time of writing, and how many people currently have the platform...? This is typically what's wrong with the internet; 1 bad things gets out and it grows exponentially within mere hours and there's almost no coming back from it. So, I made my post above with the three links and I am going to leave it at that (and remember, I am not and will not be on the platform so I have no horse in this race) because I really do not feel like 'taking on' the entire internet that latches on and consumes any bad thread they can find. So...coffee refill! :D

There are definitely power issues with the X299 platform. Either with the inadequate VRM specs to 8-pin power delivery to power consumption.

AMD bashers used to rag on AMD for these issues all the time. Tables are now reversed and Intel supporters are trying to find excuses to put this in good light.

We are talking about Intel here. The top CPU manufacturer that made 59.4B in revenue last year (10.3 Net) while AMD had 4.27B in revenue (497M Net loss).

Intel charges a higher premium for their products. If I'm going to pay the higher price for their products then yes, I am going to hold them more accountable for F-ups. Especially with their market dominance.

ManyThreads

Mar 6, 2017
Congrats on your purchase: posting a few setup pics is now required (the same goes for you @Edrick) :D

You'll only need the 8-pin CPU connector for anything at least up to the 10C + OC (the others we don't know because they aren't out yet).

Thanks! Will it hurt anything to use both power connectors? I'd rather the power be available just in case.

CPU is in stock but still waiting on the mobo. I also wouldn't mind your opinion on an 850W or 1000W Power Supply (EVGA SuperNOVA G3 for sure - but it's a SuperFlower so I am trying to figure out if it has the same issue as der8auer) for the following:

7820K w/ mild OC to 4.5-4.6 on all cores if I am lucky
ASUS TUF Mk1
Nvidia TITAN X (Maxwell 250W)
32GB RAM (Probably 3000-3200 Mhz)
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
Samsung 850 256 GB
4X HDD
Noctua NH-D15
3X Corsair ML 140 Pro case fans

The only thing that will seriously chap my ass is if Intel releases soldered versions or if mobo manufacturers revise existing Mobo's for better VRMs. Not sure what the chances of those are.

Last edited:

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Thanks! Will it hurt anything to use both power connectors? I'd rather the power be available just in case.

CPU is in stock but still waiting on the mobo. I also wouldn't mind your opinion on an 850W or 1000W Power Supply (EVGA SuperNOVA G3 for sure - but it's a SuperFlower so I am trying to figure out if it has the same issue as der8auer) for the following:

7820K w/ mild OC to 4.5-4.6 on all cores if I am lucky
ASUS TUF Mk1
Nvidia TITAN X (Maxwell 250W)
32GB RAM (Probably 3000-3200 Mhz)
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
Samsung 850 256 GB
4X HDD
Noctua NH-D15
3X Corsair ML 140 Pro case fans

The only thing that will seriously chap my ass is if Intel releases soldered versions or if mobo manufacturers revise existing Mobo's for better VRMs. Not sure what the chances of those are.

It doesn't hurt to use both cables. The second one is there for e.g. those doing extreme LN2 OC'ing and in need of loads more power.

Hmm 850W should be fine but having a 1000W overkill PSU can't hurt either; just pick whichever feels right to you and is the cheapest maybe? I'd take the 850W if it were me. I also believe you will be fine with EVGA's models, 'despite' them being SF PSUs.

ManyThreads

Mar 6, 2017
It doesn't hurt to use both cables. The second one is there for e.g. those doing extreme LN2 OC'ing and in need of loads more power.

Hmm 850W should be fine but having a 1000W overkill PSU can't hurt either; just pick whichever feels right to you and is the cheapest maybe? I'd take the 850W if it were me. I also believe you will be fine with EVGA's models, 'despite' them being SF PSUs.

Thanks. There is a hefty price bump from 850 to 1000, but I will pay the difference if it's warranted. I guess I can run a stress test and exchange it if necessary - my UPS tells me what the power draw from the wall is so if it's anywhere near 800W during a benchmark I might opt for the 1000W.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Thanks. There is a hefty price bump from 850 to 1000, but I will pay the difference if it's warranted. I guess I can run a stress test and exchange it if necessary - my UPS tells me what the power draw from the wall is so if it's anywhere near 800W during a benchmark I might opt for the 1000W.

If your current setup, with a single GPU, draws anything close to 800W I'll eat glass.

ManyThreads

Mar 6, 2017
If your current setup, with a single GPU, draws anything close to 800W I'll eat glass.

One thing tempting me to the 1000W unit was Johnny Guru's ridiculously positive review :

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=494

His 850W review is very positive too, but he can't seem to be able to get over how good that 1000W is haha.

My other thought was that it might run fanless more often if I'm not even coming close to maxing it out.

My current system (i7 3770K OC'd to 4.4 and same rest of the previously mentioned specs except 16GB RAM and no M2 SSD) pulls 400+W from the wall while gaming if I recall correctly.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If this is a real and common problem, then it won't stay under the radar. People are going to notice.

With the chips with more cores, they are really going to notice.

There's no way this will blow over if it's real.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
One thing tempting me to the 1000W unit was Johnny Guru's ridiculously positive review :

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=494

His 850W review is very positive too, but he can't seem to be able to get over how good that 1000W is haha.

My other thought was that it might run fanless more often if I'm not even coming close to maxing it out.

My current system (i7 3770K OC'd to 4.4 and same rest of the previously mentioned specs except 16GB RAM and no M2 SSD) pulls 400+W from the wall while gaming if I recall correctly.

He he!

I have never ever seen the fan on mine turning on - I have the Platinum (P) edition. That said, I stand by your new system not pulling anything near 800W in its entirety.

Reactions: ManyThreads

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I know your a beginner :D so I'd advise you google the Pentium 4 emergency edition!

Or hell the 1.4 GHz Thunderbird Athlons. Those things were close to the razor's edge @ stock. Still awesome, but whew they got toasty.

I really wasn't expecting Skylake-X to be the same way.

Getting popcorn + lawnchair on the VRM issue since I have no personal experience with it. We'll see how this pans out with additional testing.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
There are definitely power issues with the X299 platform. Either with the inadequate VRM specs to 8-pin power delivery to power consumption.

Intel charges a higher premium for their products. If I'm going to pay the higher price for their products then yes, I am going to hold them more accountable for F-ups. Especially with their market dominance.

This is why u dont buy hashware, launchware, and prelaunch fabs.

I cant stress how much i grief i had with nehalem and gulftown running boards with beta bios.

I remember when i was testing stress points for gulftown, i had to email Peter aka Shimano almost every other day letting him know the bios needs tweeking.

"At one point in time he was like are you sure ur chip isnt bad?"

I replied to him its happening on all 5 gulftowns i got from intel after showing him these pictures.
Mychips.jpg

After that he just put me on a massmail list of all the beta bios's the classified went though.
But it took a while for that board to be fully stable and get its crown as the best lga1366 board in existence.

Fun fact.... the gulftowns were suposed to be labeled as i9's originally, but intel changed them back to i7's at retail.
Realtemp.jpg

You can see realtemp reading the microcode on the cpu as i9... ;)

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010

So trying to OC a 10C chip to the same speeds as a 4C chip, and people are surprised that the heat, power, and voltage are increasing? Really?

Bottom line is at stock turbo speeds (and mild OCs), these chips are more efficient than some of their desktop class counterparts. The story only changes when you push the OC higher.