Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Sweepr, Apr 16, 2015.

1. BigDaveX

BigDaveX Senior member

Tech Report's review looked at that; while SKL-X's power usage is high during the benchmark itself, in power efficiency terms it's actually middle of the pack.

2. coercitiv

coercitiv Platinum Member

There's nothing "very wrong" with the power consumption, if you calculate the power delta between idle and load, take losses into consideration etc you still end up close to TDP.

What's strange is comparing with previous generation SKUs, it shows Intel allowed SKL-X to draw more power by clocking higher, which they probably could have done with Broadwell as well.

richierich1212 and Arachnotronic like this.
  3. Zucker2k

Zucker2k Senior member

So the 6900K with 8 cores consuming more than 6950x with 10 cores in CBR15 is normal?

4. R0H1T

R0H1T Platinum Member

Funnily enough the 1700 doesn't feature in it, somehow tech sites are afraid to show how efficient it is, unlike in the past ~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Markfw

Markfw CPU Moderator VC&G Moderator Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Unless you use them for DC and I do, then its the same as running that everyday and all day.

And from all the reviews I have seen, they all agree the new chips are power hogs, and run hot..

Phynaz, richierich1212 and formulav8 like this.
  6. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

The packaging simply doesnt match the power consumption. Period. Its screaming.

I will eat my hat if Intel didnt opt to get ~150MHz extra out of those cpu vs the planned. Imo they did wrong. Its not the way to go with a valuable brand. Its something amd does (p10) and its shortsighted.

7. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 Golden Member

1000 bucks + at least another 250-300 for a X299 board... what a deal!

Drazick likes this.
  8. ManyThreads

ManyThreads Member

For a 7820K, what is the go-to ASUS mobo do you guys think? I will be OC'ing but I don't care about dual LAN, PCI RAID, or LED lights. I am going to buy Asus again as I like their boards.

All 3 of these are roughly the same price for me in Canada:

TUF Mk 1
    Strix Gaming
    Prime (Not Deluxe)

Looked at the TUF Mk 2 but it seems to have a lower phase (7) VRM than the Mk 1.

Any obvious choice there, perhaps in terms of VRM quality and overall component quality? I am using the comparison tools on Asus' website but I am preordering so I need to buy mostly off spec. TIA

9. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Didn't the reviewers say gaming performance was lower due to BIOS problems?

Drazick and Phynaz like this.
  10. Edrick

Edrick Golden Member

Im looking that the TUF Mk 1 myself. Strange that Gigabyte only has 3 gaming boards for X299 currently.

ManyThreads likes this.
  11. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

If it renders a lot faster then overall it's not using that much more power is it? Tom's touched on that with the sledgehammer line.

If I use 150 watts for 2 hours to get a job done, it's more power than using 200 watts for one hour to get the job done, even though the 200W number looks bad next to the 150W number on the spec sheet.

Drazick likes this.
  12. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

Significant difference depending on motherboard, BIOS + RAM kit used:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8225/intel-core-i9-7900x-series-skylake-cpu-review/index3.html

#12462 Sweepr, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    vissarix likes this.
  13. Arachnotronic

Agreed, just pre-ordered mine this morning. Solid value -- no real sacrifice in ST perf compared to my 7700K and I get a fun new platform with lots of cores and upgradeability.

Not for everyone, but it'll make me happy and I'm sure some others, too.

vissarix and Sweepr like this.
  14. tamz_msc

tamz_msc Golden Member

Would like to see power consumption numbers while doing more real-world tests like compiling and encoding.

BTW it was a really crappy move from Intel to not supply European websites with review samples.

#12464 tamz_msc, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Drazick likes this.
  15. coercitiv

coercitiv Platinum Member

Please read my entire post. I'm not complaining about the absolute power consumption of SKL-X, I'm observing the power delta between SKL-X and BDW-E and concluding Intel was "conservative" with previous gen turbo clocks.

As far as I can tell, using Tom's Hardware numbers from the OC test, 7900X should be within TDP numbers at stock clocks.

[​IMG]

16. pantsaregood

pantsaregood Senior member

No, I don't think seeing 14nm+ hitting 5.0 GHz is "a bit of a stretch." 14nm+ has been able to hit 5.0 GHz fairly frequently with four cores. These CPUs will run at higher temperatures due to having more cores/higher power consumption, but they're primarily being limited by the fact Intel didn't solder them.

Take note that 1.3V is running CPUs directly into a thermal ceiling with Skylake-X - they're not brickwalling like Broadwell-E did, they're just limited by thermals. If anyone recalls, Skylake and Kaby Lake both scale quite well all the way up to 1.45V.

Phynaz and Arachnotronic like this.
  17. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

AT have updated with power numbers. They exceed the tdp. And notice difference to bwe.

18. ManyThreads

ManyThreads Member

Does that fan on the mobo worry you as a failure point? That's the only thing I didn't like.

19. beginner99

beginner99 Diamond Member

It could be due to BIOS problem or the different cache structure. Who knows? It's kind of telling that most sites don't even show any gaming charts. Looks like they weren't' allowed to.

20. Zucker2k

Zucker2k Senior member

According to the OC3D guy, Intel got pissed about Hexus and BitTech breaking NDA and therefore did not send out chips to most reviewers.

21. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

"But for the 140W Skylake-X parts, we recorded nearly 150W power consumption. Intel announced that the socket is suitable up to 165W, so it’s clear that they are pushing the frequencies here and it is going to be telling what might happen with the higher core count silicon."

Those power numbers mean the HCC SKUs (esp 16 and 18 core SKUs) are going to have some real difficulty with overclocking to 4 Ghz across all cores given you are going to hit thermal and power limits.

22. Sweepr

Sweepr Diamond Member

Yes, according to PCGamesHardware.de. It's one of the reasons they didn't include gaming benchmarks in their preview:

23. Arachnotronic

coercitiv, they were conservative with BDW-E clocks out of the box because they didn't have any reason to bin more aggressively. Binning for higher out-of-the-box frequencies means that fewer chips will pass validation, lowering the effective yield and thus increasing chip mfg cost.

With Ryzen/AMD around, Intel is necessarily more aggressive with binning because it needs to be to stay competitive/keep its average selling prices afloat (they are already down quite a lot core-for-core from BDW-E to SKX-X, thanks to Ryzen).

coercitiv likes this.
  24. twothreefive

twothreefive Junior Member

So, I wonder what prices will be for the previous gen 6950x and 6900k....

25. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Is there any chance that the higher core count chips are 14nm++?

Drazick likes this.