Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
What or how would you describe the said difference, say an i7 ULP level (CPU) perf or something even lower? You know very well that memory bandwidth are the APUs' Achilles heal, especially AMD.

Now with 14nm Excavator (hopefully further improved by then) I expect some decent level of perf from their mobile APUs, though at a slightly higher TDP, & am hoping that they'll integrate gen1 or gen2 HMB straightaway, certainly for the top SKU's :thumbsup:

This is off topic but anyway I've seen posters here say that if AMD did this or that they'd buy their products instantly, if it fits their budget of course. Not trying to start a flame war here but would you really do that, if given a choice between slightly higher TDP & better price?

I say this because I wanna gauge what is needed to sway someone AMD's way, if it's so then there's hope for AMD after all :D

Well, I dont know, do I, because no 14nm APUs exist, and none of them have HBM. My grandson is graduating high school this month, so I can hardly wait till 2017 for this theoretical APU. By the way I do have an AMD dgpu in my gaming desktop, so it is not like I am out to get AMD. If they build the product, and it fits my needs, I will buy it. To be honest, if there is one thing that will prevent me from buying an AMD product, it is the continual hype promoted on these forums. That and personal insinuations that I am so biased I would not buy an AMD product.

Aug 11, 2008
I think Iri Pro will become a lot more important for them from now on. It started as a niche product with Haswell, now Broadwell brings it to LGA desktops and Skylake will bring GT3e to 15W ''U'' ultrabook chips and a new GT4e SKU.

Also unless I'm missing something GT1 SKUs can't be found in any of the leaks, so perhaps GT2 iGPUs will be the base for Core-based products from now on (which makes sense given that low-end Braswell already packs 16 EUs). That's just speculation but a Gen 9 GT2 iGPU would be one hell of an upgrade from Gen 7.5 GT1 iGPUs currently found in Haswell Celeron/Pentium.

It will be Gen 9. Unfortunately we don't know the architecture details yet but I'm hoping they will solve some of the bottlenecks found in their current solutions. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to dedicate so much area to graphics.

But again, this is what mystifies me about intel's igpu lineup. Why put iris pro on a 15 watt chip? The normal igp is good enough for everyday use, and you cant tell me one is going to be doing much gaming or other gpu intensive work in a 15 watt TDP.

Mar 10, 2006
But again, this is what mystifies me about intel's igpu lineup. Why put iris pro on a 15 watt chip? The normal igp is good enough for everyday use, and you cant tell me one is going to be doing much gaming or other gpu intensive work in a 15 watt TDP.

Simple: customers (i.e. OEMs) asked Intel for it.

In particular, I'd wager Apple asked Intel for it.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Keep in mind 15W TDP chips can also operate at 25W TDP. (ex: 4510U operates with a base speed of 2.6Ghz at 25W TDP)

Reactions: Drazick

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Keep in mind 15W TDP chips can also operate at 25W TDP. (ex: 4510U operates with a base speed of 2.6Ghz at 25W TDP)

Ah! If that extra power draw also applies to improved iGPU speed, then it makes allot more sense. More demanding GFX (especially short term) can make use of higher performance. The downside is that fanless designs would be limited in long term performance due to throttling under a persistent temperature excursion (say, like running a game). It's really amazing how many people play games, even if most are much less demanding than a AAA PC title.

iSkylaker

May 9, 2015
Hey all, when do you guys think we will have 100-chipsets available? Some rumors point out they will be shipping/available this month, any news on that? besides the iGame one.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Hey all, when do you guys think we will have 100-chipsets available? Some rumors point out they will be shipping/available this month, any news on that? besides the iGame one.

When the CPUs ship? ;)

I guess we start see mobos selling in july. But with lots of mobo leaks startiing in june.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

At the same time as when the CPU's go on sale. It wouldn't be a very good idea to buy a motherboard that you can't use. Before reviewers get their hands on it etc.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I haven't seen this slide yet:

Mobile 4C/8T Skylake Xeon with GT4e Graphics?

Mobile Skylake GT4e might come earlier than expected (but surely not before Q1 2016). 3dmark11, Vantage projections over BDW GT3e up to 50%. We don't have BDW GT3e 47W scores unfortunately.

vfth6wgd.png

Mar 10, 2006
"4K ISP" -- they integrated an image signal processor onto the Skylake Core M chips? Sensor hub, too?

Neat. Core M is finally becoming a proper tablet SoC. Next up is probably the PCH for the -Y and -U parts come Cannonlake.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Mobile Skylake GT4e might come earlier than expected (but surely not before Q1 2016). 3dmark11, Vantage projections over BDW GT3e up to 50%. We don't have BDW GT3e 47W scores unfortunately.

vfth6wgd.png

Actually, I am not that impressed with "only" a 50% improvement. The reason is, you have 33% more EUs for only a 50% improvement. And that improvement could be just from lower power use allowing the igp to run at higher turbo. Seems like Gen 9 is not a quantum improvement in architecture either. OTOH, if BW is a 20 or 30% improvement over Haswell and Skylake brings another 50%, we could have a decent low/mid range gaming capability without a discrete card. Question is, what will be the availability and price.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Wow, nice find once again mikk.

- Skylake-Y draws up to to 60% less power (SoC only) compared to current Broadwell-Y (Core M). Nice gain considering they are both 14nm products.
Just like Ivy Bridge ULV vs Sandy Bridge ULV and the first ultrabooks I feel like Broadwell-Y was a well executed first attempt, but Skylake-Y might be faster, more efficient, more integrated and a lot more popular among premium fanless tablets and convertibles.

- Not sure about Vantage but dual-channel HD5500 is close to 30% faster than dual-channel HD4400 @ 3DMark 11.
Assuming something similar for Broadwell GT3e vs Haswell GT3e - Skylake GT4e should provide 2x Haswell GT3e performance in this benchmark. Benchmark scores were never a big problem for previous Intel iGPUs, hopefully they solved some of the architectural bottlenecks and there will be bigger gains in actual games (especially with MSAA and filters on).

- I'm more confident that they will eventually launch a desktop Skylake 4C+GT4e sometime in H1-2016 now.

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
"4K ISP" -- they integrated an image signal processor onto the Skylake Core M chips? Sensor hub, too?

Neat. Core M is finally becoming a proper tablet SoC. Next up is probably the PCH for the -Y and -U parts come Cannonlake.

I would expect such a structural big change from the Oregon core, means Kabylake/Icelake might come as a full SoC for the U/Y lineup.

Actually, I am not that impressed with "only" a 50% improvement. The reason is, you have 33% more EUs for only a 50% improvement.

There was never a linear scaling from an EU increase. A 50% EU addition wouldn't result in a 50% fps improvement across-the-board. There are other bottlenecks such as bandwidth or texturing. In 3dmark11 Gen8 looks quite good already, in games not so good. Although this is based on ULV Gen8 reviews.

Mar 10, 2006
I would expect such a structural big change from the Oregon core, means Kabylake/Icelake might come as a full SoC for the U/Y lineup.

That makes sense, actually -- wait for the next "Tock" for such a major platform-level change esp. since I'd assume OEMs want Cannonlake to be socket-compatible with Skylake.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Wow, nice find once again mikk.

- Skylake-Y draws up to to 60% less power (SoC only) compared to current Broadwell-Y (Core M). Nice gain considering they are both 14nm products.
Just like Ivy Bridge ULV vs Sandy Bridge ULV and the first ultrabooks I feel like Broadwell-Y was a well executed first attempt, but Skylake-Y might be faster, more efficient, more integrated and a lot more popular among premium fanless tablets and convertibles.
BDW-Y/U was also 60% lower power, and HSW probably similar, so nice momentum.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I read that, that's why I said up to, not on average.
This points to a much enhanced video decode block in Gen. 9 over Gen. 8. Makes sense as all of the big media improvements were set to come in Gen. 9.
I wasn't downplaying the benefits, just making it clear we were talking about video decode.

On the plus side, the +35% playback time was noted versus an efficient CoreM tablet (11.6" screen, LPDDR3).

knutinh

Jan 13, 2006
But is Iris pro all about gaming performance? I though I read somewhere that having 64-128 MB of cache lets them shut down external memory/buses to a larger degree, meaning that it is a power saving trick?

-k

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
How well do you guys think mobile GT4e will do in comparison to a given AMD/Nvidia video card?

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
The Broadwell C should give some vague idea whenever it finally appears....

It might be starting to get there, although it'll likely spend a fair bit of its lifetime vs the next gen 14nm/HMB stuff from the GPU people which should lift the bar a long way.

Although Intel will then likely get the odd die shrink in before the GPU folk move on again etc :)

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
It might be starting to get there, although it'll likely spend a fair bit of its lifetime vs the next gen 14nm/HMB stuff from the GPU people which should lift the bar a long way.

I don't think so.