Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 151 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pandamonia

Jun 13, 2013
There is also a complete lack of 2x8GB DDR4 in the UK while we have the chips!

Whats the downside of using 4x4GB? vs 2x4GB?

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
Dave2150 thanks for the post. I just built a 4790k rig below with the same asus motherboard (Z97) at the same clock speed with DDR3-2400 ram.

Here is my Cinebench 11.5 result:
8x6g4p.jpg

Obviously Skylake has improved. Would be fun to compare more software benchmarks with you since you have the same clocked but skylake chip

Hey. I ran Cinebench R15, if you'd do a rerun using that version we could more directly compare :)

I still think a 4790k is a very good choice for anyone who already has a high speed DDR3 memory kit etc.

As I was coming from a X58 i7 920 setup (from December 2008) I had a rather old 6x2GB (12GB) DDR3 1600Mhz kit, so it was a no brainer for me to go for Skylake over Haswell.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012

Got mine from Aria, had to pre-order though, they were pretty much sold out by the end of the day I picked the up.

I went for 2x8 instead of 4x4 because Gskill claim they tune each generation for the specific processor range, so latencies might be slightly different.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015

I'd highly recommend waiting for a 2X8GB kit to be available. Getting higher density modules allows you to simply add two more in the future, for 32GB, for when it might be needed in a few years time. It should also be better for overclocking, since 4 modules puts more strain on the CPU's IMC than 2 modules.

OCUK had them in stock for the first two days after release, though as you said they are all gone now. The website gives an estimated stock date of the 21st - so not long to wait.

I went for the following kit:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-445-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=2557

Last edited:

Pandamonia

Jun 13, 2013
I'd highly recommend waiting for a 2X8GB kit to be available. Getting higher density modules allows you to simply add two more in the future, for 32GB, for when it might be needed in a few years time. It should also be better for overclocking, since 4 modules puts more strain on the CPU's IMC than 2 modules.

OCUK had them in stock for the first two days after release, though as you said they are all gone now. The website gives an estimated stock date of the 21st - so not long to wait.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-445-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=2557

The CPU is £55 over priced atm and im betting the mobo and ram are about £50 between them, £100 early adopter tax :(

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Summing up the price for:

-DDR4 vs DDR3
-Skylake vs Haswell price increase
-CPU cooler not included vs included on Haswell
-Dollar appreciation

Seems like we're looking at around $100 price increase compared to Haswell? Even more for those affected by the dollar appreciation.

It it really worth that for what, 8% performance increase compared to Haswell 4790K?

Desktop Skylake sure seems hard to justify.

Pandamonia

Jun 13, 2013

-DDR4 vs DDR3
-Dollar appreciation

Seems like we're looking at around $100 price increase compared to Haswell? Even more for those affected by the dollar appreciation.

It it really worth that for what, 8% performance increase compared to Haswell 4790K?

if i can get 4.7 or 4.8ghz ill get a 400-500mhz clock boost plus IPC gain and replace a faulty sound chip on the mobo. i nearly ordered X99 but then i started to see 4.7 clocks 24/7

Pandamonia

Jun 13, 2013

This ram? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N1OZDPO/ref=pd_luc_rh_wl_02_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006

-DDR4 vs DDR3
-Dollar appreciation

I can think of a few reasons.

- Early adopter price is always higher. Expect better MB+CPU deals in the coming months, closing the price gap.
- In CPU limited games the gain is ~10-15% per clock (according to PCLab, PurePC, Eurogamer, Hardware Canucks, Hardware.fr, HardOCP and other websites).
- Looking at reviews and early adopter impressions Skylake is hitting 4.6-4.8GHz speeds easier than most Haswell chips.
- Regular 1.5V DDR3 should work in some LGA1151 motherboards, that's an option if you have tons of DDR3. If you're buying a brand new system DDR4 is the way to go and could be used in future upgrades/systems too. Cheap DDR4 is more expensive than cheap DDR3, but +3000MHz kits are actually less expensive. Prices should come down now that Intel is about to launch an entire mainstream platform running DDR4.
- MSRP prices are almost the same, non-K CPUs will still come with a cooler and unless you are running a K chip at stock (even then) you might want to buy a 3rd party cooler anyway.
- Kabylake and(or) Skylake GT4e with eDRAM might be compatible with current LGA1151+Z170, so you have a better upgrade path than LGA1150+Z87/Z97. Pre-Broadwell 'ticks' were also compatible with existing chipsets so there is hope for Cannonlake compatibility (though I wouldn't hold my breath).
- LGA1151+Z170 is a much better platform.
- Sometimes looking at perf/$ metrics alone is not the best way to go if you plan to keep the same system for many years.

Last edited:

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
if i can get 4.7 or 4.8ghz ill get a 400-500mhz clock boost plus IPC gain and replace a faulty sound chip on the mobo. i nearly ordered X99 but then i started to see 4.7 clocks 24/7

Sure, for individual people it may be worth going for Skylake, depending on what your current system consists of.

I'm just saying that the price increase is substantial ($100 or so compared to Haswell). And the combination of small performance gain and substantial price increase means you have to think twice about upgrading...

The profit margin Intel has on 14 nm is really impressive. Price per die area is exceptional.

On the other hand desktop CPU sales are declining rapidly, both for AMD and Intel. I guess it's a combination of "good enough computing" and not very impressive performance increase any longer, especially considering the cost for the consumer.

I wonder how this will turn out in a few years time. It cannot continue like this for many more years or desktop sales will be plummeting even more rapidly... Intel should be worried...

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Its not 100$. Stop making up FUD.

You can buy Skylake for the same price as Haswell with memory and board.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
DDR3 1x8GB vs DDR4 1x8GB, cheapest on Newegg: $39 vs $50

4690K vs 6600K: $240 vs $250

Z170 motherboard vs Z97 (same brand): $115 vs $85

Total price difference: $51

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Intel Skylake is like that super pretty girl who everyone hyped up to be the girl of their dreams but when you actually spent some time with her getting ready to dump my current girlfriend , she turns out to be barely any better than my girlfriend. So instead of dumping my current girlfriend for her, i choose to stick with my current girlfriend. I will dump my current girlfriend for a new boyfriend next year (AMD ZEN)
It is hard to argue with that.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
+ $41.5 for CPU cooler = $92.5, i.e. ~$100.

Again, thats not what the cooler cost. Learn to read the articles you link to. Unless you simply dont know what Akiba PC is. Akiba PC is a retail shop. And you dont have to use that cooler for that matter.

Plus Newegg prices isnt what people pay at other places.