Intel planning for thousands of job cuts, internal sources say

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adored

Mar 24, 2016
Not really. It looks to be a revolver deal unfortunately.

AMD will get 29M$ from it in Q2. Assuming they hit the milestones in technology transfer.

Looks like an IP deal with royalties upon shipping so free cash basically, around $100m per year or thereabouts.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Looks like an IP deal with royalties upon shipping so free cash basically, around $100m per year or thereabouts.

You have a funny definition of free money. From the CFO:

Meaningful step in IP monetization strategy by licensing high-performance processor and
SoC technology and forming joint venture (JV) with THATIC (Tianjin Haiguang Advanced
Technology Investment Co., Ltd.), to develop SoCs that will complement AMD’s own
offerings for the China server market

And here I thought it was better to sell an AMD product than to get a small fee from a 3rd party product. Not to mention if milestones isn't reached, no money is paid.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Huh, I guess China is interested in x86. Kind of surprised the agreement with Intel would allow for something like this. I wonder if Intel will fight it.

Adored

Mar 24, 2016
You have a funny definition of free money. From the CFO:

And here I thought it was better to sell an AMD product than to get a small fee from a 3rd party product. Not to mention if milestones isn't reached, no money is paid.

And how much is AMD making in the Chinese server market today?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Huh, I guess China is interested in x86. Kind of surprised the agreement with Intel would allow for something like this. I wonder if Intel will fight it.

Is it even certain it will be x86 and not ARM? I haven't seen the details yet on the technology transfer.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
wow AMD licensing x86 to the Chinese. If this is somehow legal, Intel you are royally F'ed. They are under siege from all sides. PC market shrinking, everyone's making a move into the server market, and mobile is stuck in quicksand. Sad to say, but it will get really ugly for Intel in the next few years and I don't see any way out for them.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
For the entire year, they only expect to gain 52M$.

IP monetization licensing gain of approximately $52 million, with $7 million already recognized in Q1 2016.

So with 25M$ in Q2. That leaves 20M$ for Q3 and Q4 combined.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
wow AMD licensing x86 to the Chinese. If this is somehow legal, Intel you are royally F'ed. They are under siege from all sides. PC market shrinking, everyone's making a move into the server market, and mobile is stuck in quicksand. Sad to say, but it will get really ugly for Intel in the next few years and I don't see any way out for them.

They are still untouchable in the server space for good reason. They are far ahead on all metrics. So any competitor will have to put some serious cash into it. Not to mention quite some years. Even if you start today with "unlimited money". The first product from the ground will come out around 2021.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Ouch.

China is putting a bunch of hurt on all over the world.

Its way beyond China. Its the zero rates and QE that hurts. Long live finance capitalism, RIP production capitalism.

All shipping companies are in deep trouble too.

Adored

Mar 24, 2016
This is just free money using AMD's IP and the paranoia of the Chinese government. Chinese-built Zen cores with no backdoors basically. There is no competition from outside, nor from Zen.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Google's going with IBM and Nvidia. Qualcomm you have to take seriously. The Chinese are more than willing to make a deal with AMD for obviously security reasons. Writings all over the wall, stick a fork in it, Intel's done. There's no saving them.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
This is just free money using AMD's IP and the paranoia of the Chinese government. Chinese-built Zen cores with no backdoors basically.

That would be interesting for 2 parts. Intel and US technology export restrictions.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Google's going with IBM and Nvidia. Qualcomm you have to take seriously. The Chinese are more than willing to make a deal with AMD for obviously security reasons. Writings all over the wall, stick a fork in it, Intel's done. There's no saving them.

IBM is a goner long ago. Qualcomm is struggling for survival now in the MPU section. I have a feeling their days of custom cores is soon, if not already over. Google is buying Intel and Nvidia, just like Baidu, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon etc.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
They are still untouchable in the server space for good reason. They are far ahead on all metrics. So any competitor will have to put some serious cash into it.

Sure, guy. Sure....

To everyone else -- Many of us have probably noticed that Non-x86 CPU's are hovering around 95% marketshare of High End Servers and 80% of Mid Range Servers.

Intel only sells mostly cheap **** in the server space. Granted, the below chart is a little old (about 4 years old). But still, Intel/x86 is nowhere to be found in the truly expensive segments when you look at the current installed base.

Mid_High_WW_Servers.png

Last edited:

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Their headcount keep declining.

Just because its not in the press doesn't mean its not happening.

Yes, such things might happen. You surely have some numbers exceeding typical fluctuation to support your statement.

That would be interesting for 2 parts. Intel and US technology export restrictions.
Su just answered that in the first question. So it looks like the deal only involves AMD IP and technologies, and doesn't violate the crosslicensing agreement. The involved tech is used in x86 and ARM products as it seems.

To complete the licensing, THATIC might have to license Intel IP, too.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Sure, guy. Sure....

To everyone else -- Many of us have probably noticed that Non-x86 CPU's are hovering around 95% marketshare of High End Servers and 80% of Mid Range Servers.
Intel only makes cheap **** in the server space. Granted, the below chart is a little old (about 4 years old). But still, x86 is nowhere in the expensive segments.

Mid_High_WW_Servers.png

Do you even know what you link? :)

Its from 2011 in case you forgot the date.

Let me help you with the other part that belongs to it.

WW_Installed_Servers1.png

Oh, and the source:
http://jameskaskade.com/?p=1789

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
AMD just posted their worst quarter. 832M$ revenue, 109M$ loss.

Down 19% YoY.

Semicustom revenue is hit hard.

Wow Shintai, stock is up 25% on the "worst quarter" data. I think that is clearly an over-reaction, but they seem to be moving in the right direction in a lot of areas.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Wow Shintai, stock is up 25% on the "worst quarter" data. I think that is clearly an over-reaction, but they seem to be moving in the right direction in a lot of areas.

Its based entirely on future hopes. You know, how stocks work :p

Also if I was you, I would see if it sticks or drops again.

For Q2 2016, based on a 13 week quarter, we expect:
• Revenue to increase 15% sequentially, +/- 3%, driven by strong demand for our semi
custom and graphics products.

This is the driver. Plus the 320M$ from ATMP joint venture completion.

Last edited: