Intel planning for thousands of job cuts, internal sources say

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
It's about time..
.."Intel had 107,000 employees worldwide at the end of December. Its Oregon headcount is at a record high, 19,500.."

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
That really sucks for them. :( Hope the employees affected find something better to move to.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
99% of those are assistants and secretaries, believe me all companies hire those needlessly when the times are good and are laid off when the times are hard, I'm sure that hard working engineers and designers etc will be unaffected.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
99% of those are assistants and secretaries, believe me all companies hire those needlessly when the times are good and are laid off when the times are hard, I'm sure that hard working engineers and designers etc will be unaffected.

Yet upper management responsible for the hiring and firing of these people will keep their jobs. This isn't Target we're looking at here, shouldn't be any seasonal staff to layoff.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012

Admins are people too who will be hurt by the layoff.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Yet upper management responsible for the hiring and firing of these people will keep their jobs. This isn't Target we're looking at here, shouldn't be any seasonal staff to layoff.

Exactly. At my work we are having layoffs but the CEO and his secretary are still free to use company funds to pay for their housing. Apparently 3 years is not enough time for both of them to buy their places.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Exactly. At my work we are having layoffs but the CEO and his secretary are still free to use company funds to pay for their housing. Apparently 3 years is not enough time for both of them to buy their places.

Don't worry. In exchange for using non engineers like tools for seasonal hire and fire, he's spearheaded such amazing initiatives such as more diversity in the work place and cruelty free silicon. His halo remains intact.
Oh and don't forget that amazing little fashion smart bracelet because his wife advice him it's something she would wear.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Seems that the Atom Team is gonna get kicked out. It sucks hard for them... Hope that AMD, VIA or lesser x86 companies accept them.

Aug 11, 2008
Are there any other companies in x86 business?

I didnt see anything in that article that pointed to atom workers being cut specifically. Harsh for those that get laid off, wonder if they get a decent severance? In any case, not surprising considering the slowing pace of sales.

Mar 10, 2006
Don't worry. In exchange for using non engineers like tools for seasonal hire and fire, he's spearheaded such amazing initiatives such as more diversity in the work place and cruelty free silicon. His halo remains intact.
Oh and don't forget that amazing little fashion smart bracelet because his wife advice him it's something she would wear.

Don't forget the dumb "America's Greatest Makers" TV show. Why did the BoD pick this guy to run the show? :(

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
They have thousands of assistants and secretaries doing non-essential tasks? What is this, the Ministry of Silicon?

Most companies are. It's scary how inefficient large corporations are. I look at where I work and we are market leaders. I then always wonder what the fuck the other companies must be doing to be even less efficient. Firing about 10-20% of the right people here would actually make the whole company more efficient besides saving their salary.

You now ask that does not make sense but it does. Middle-management is here to shield top-management. The later have no interest in communicating with the actual work force.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Wow, that's a lot. Doesn't Toshiba make NAND? You would think that business would be healthy.

Depends what price they can produce at.

They also makes all kinds of other products. And with global consumption down, everything is down.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Wow, that's a lot. Doesn't Toshiba make NAND? You would think that business would be healthy.
NAND is also becoming a race to the bottom, at the end of it all only a handful of manufacturers will survive & the rest of the pack, riding on coat tails of the actual chipmakers, will go out of business.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
NAND is also becoming a race to the bottom, at the end of it all only a handful of manufacturers will survive & the rest of the pack, riding on coat tails of the actual chipmakers, will go out of business.

It's easy to proclaim "innovation" by some industrial yardstick like process advantage blah blah, but that doesn't matter in at the end of the day if consumers ultimately see no marginal real benefit over their existing stuff.

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
It's easy to proclaim "innovation" by some industrial yardstick like process advantage blah blah, but that doesn't matter in at the end of the day if consumers ultimately see no marginal real benefit over their existing stuff.
Benefit is still there. Lot of stuff have HDD or slow flash storage that can be replaced with modern NAND SSD drives for real noticeable benefit for average Joe.

Thing is Average Joe does not have money anymore.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Thats because competition is awful at generating innovation. Or as IDC said so beautifully:

Competition is good at driving the pace of innovation, but it is an inefficient mechanism (R&D expenditures summed across a given industry) for generating the innovation.