Intel NUC 4" x 4" micro-PC - $299 shipped (1.8ghz i3, motherboard, case, PSU)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by Kaido, Dec 12, 2012.

1. faithie999

faithie999 Junior Member

wish i'd thought of that!!

i have an HP probook 4530s, hacked on 10.8.2. it has a combo wifi/bt card, the atheros AR5B195.

i just borrowed it from the probook and put it into the nuc. i downloaded kexts from http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2628&page=2

both wifi and BT worked. there may be an issue with BT not persisting after sleep, but i don't have sleep working on the NUC yet so i can't test that. this issue is noted in the comments on the osx86 page.

there is an ample supply of these wifi/bt cards on ebay, most around $10 with free shipping. make sure you buy a half-height card.

note in the comments on the osx86 page that you might have to do some fiddling with vendor id/device id in one or more of the kexts, depending on which card you end up with. in my experience, you may have to put the card into a windows or linux setup to properly read the vendor and device id's.

bottom line is that it's worth $10 to try it! the worst case is that BT doesn't work as you'd like it, but wifi will still work and you'll pay $10 for a wifi-only card.

2. hans007

hans007 Lifer

ab

#77 hans007, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. faithie999

faithie999 Junior Member

i may be wrong, but i believe the AR9285 card is only wifi.

the AR5B195 wifi/BT card (which is what i have in my probook) is a combination of the AR9285 wifi chip and the AR3011 bluetooth chip. maybe what you have is the combo card.

you are right that a non-hp-branded AR9285 won't allow the probook to boot. i was planning on using the combo card from my probook in the NUC, and using a spare AR9285 from my parts bin in the probook, where i don't need BT. however, the AR9285 i have isn't HP-branded so it's not on the probook's whitelist.

4. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Does your NUC have a Wifi card in it? If so, is it the Intel model?

I'm assuming your other computers on Ethernet don't get pixelation while watching live TV? I'm hoping it's a chipset driver type of thing that can be solved with a software fix if so. Seems like a very specific problem.

5. hans007

hans007 Lifer

Ah you are right. I have a ar5b195.

6. faithie999

faithie999 Junior Member

$7 shipped is a generous deal!! someone ought to snap it up. i bought one yesterday on ebay for several dollars more.

the only thing i wasn't able to test in my hackintosh NUC when i temporarily installed the AR5B195 is whether it's recognized as a native apple BT device so that it will wake with a BT keyboard or mouse click (couldn't test because i don't have sleep/wake working properly yet). if not, it can still be awakened with the power button.

7. rifken2

rifken2 Member

mine! I will take the card. PM with details.

8. faithie999

faithie999 Junior Member

removed by poster

#83 faithie999, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  9. Dirigible

Dirigible Diamond Member

No wifi.

My other computers do sometimes get pixelation, but this is consistent and unwatchably bad.

Kind of odd.

10. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

That's really odd, especially since you have no wifi card. I think it was Legit Reviews who thought the problem stemmed from the heat generated from the Wifi card, beneath the SSD (which does get pretty dang toasty).

Does your streaming software support OSX? I'd be curious to know if the same pixelation issue happens on a different OS - that would rule out drivers, at least. And I'd venture a guess to say we've ruled out heat, as well, since you're not cooking the box with both an SSD and a wifi card. So if it plays nice under OSX, we can blame either a hardware issue or a BIOS issue, although I think one of the reviewers said they had issues with USB Ethernet as well (correct me if I'm wrong). So perhaps something funky with the bus...

11. FriendlyGhost

FriendlyGhost Junior Member

I wan't to put together a NUC, but the budget is tight.
    I'll probably go with Win 7, but this is for fun and maybe I would make it a hackintosh.

I would probably go for 2x4Gb of RAM, but which brand/type?
    Are there huge differences in performance?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

12. Zivic

Zivic Diamond Member

8 gigs should be fine. I would go with g.skill like the op suggested.

I have a couple machines around running 8 and depending on your use/apps, it should be fine.

that said, you will only be saving about 25 bucks over the 16 gig set. (newegg has 8 gig sets priced ~40 bucks)

-

I just finished my build on one of these boxes for my dad.
    -120 GB msata ssd
    -16 gig ram
    I got a windows score of 5.9. Using it for the couple days I had it, I was impressed with it. windows 7 loads in 12 seconds. It is more than enough for his use.

I went with the non thunderbolt model. I wanted the built in NIC.

Things it needs:
    -an analog audio out
    -at least 4 usb on the back
    -and at least 2 on the front

13. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

14. Dirigible

Dirigible Diamond Member

Added a Plugable usb ethernet adapter and no pixelation with live TV.

I don't pretend to understand what's going on. Seems like streaming recorded TV and full-sized blu-ray iso rips would use just as much or more bandwidth as live TV. Yet the recorded TV and full-sized blu-ray iso rips worked just fine previously while live TV was unwatchable with the pixelation.

I'm just glad it works now.

15. capeconsultant

capeconsultant Senior member

16. faithie999

faithie999 Junior Member

i made the bold assumption that the NUC would boot from the thunderbolt port, so i ordered and just installed a seagate thunderbolt adapter.

i powered on, entered bios, and see that there is "no boot device".

to confirm that the adapter was working, i booted as i had been, from a USB drive, and after booting, the thunderbolt drive was functioning.

i am booting into OS X 10.8.2, but i wouldn't expect that to matter, at least as far as bios seeing or not seeing a boot drive.

then, experimented with windows 7 installer.

using NUC bios 25: windows installer sees the NTFS HD which is in the thunderbolt adapter, but says it cannot install to this disk because the bios doesn't support booting from this device.

using NUC bios 28 or 32: windows installer finds no boot drives.

is it known for sure whether the NUC is supposed to boot from thunderbolt?

thanks!

ken

#92 faithie999, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  17. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

18. Kaido

Kaido Lifer

Haven't found much info on this. May be a BIOS limitation currently.

19. jalaram

jalaram Lifer

20. Homerboy

Homerboy Lifer

sooooooooooooooo tempted for XBMC.....

21. faithie999

faithie999 Junior Member

i posted this question on the intel NUC forum a week ago, which looks like it is visited by at least one intel tech, but perhaps intel is on a long holiday break. hopefully at some point i'll get intel's answer, and better yet, a BIOS revision to support thunderbolt booting!!

22. cbn

cbn Lifer

Agreed. This is a great thread. I also think it should be in the SFF forum.

+1. With added overclocking options and a larger BGA cooler (able to run passively when CPU and GPU are at stock clocks).

Definitely larger cases, but I am wondering about the cooling? (link says 60mm fan, but what does the heatsink look like?)

[​IMG]

23. chronochime

chronochime Member

24. cbn

cbn Lifer

Great pics! I really liked the NUC vs. Old gen Mac Mini.

NUC mainboard vs. LGA push-pin desktop cooler:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]