Discussion Intel Meteor, Arrow, Lunar & Panther Lakes Discussion Threads

Page 142 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
PPT1.jpg
PPT2.jpg
PPT3.jpg

As Hot Chips 34 starting this week, Intel will unveil technical information of upcoming Meteor Lake (MTL) and Arrow Lake (ARL), new generation platform after Raptor Lake. Both MTL and ARL represent new direction which Intel will move to multiple chiplets and combine as one SoC platform.

MTL also represents new compute tile that based on Intel 4 process which is based on EUV lithography, a first from Intel. Intel expects to ship MTL mobile SoC in 2023.

ARL will come after MTL so Intel should be shipping it in 2024, that is what Intel roadmap is telling us. ARL compute tile will be manufactured by Intel 20A process, a first from Intel to use GAA transistors called RibbonFET.

Comparison of upcoming Intel's U-series CPU: Core Ultra 100U, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

ModelCode-NameDateTDPNodeTilesMain TileCPULP E-CoreLLCGPUXe-cores
Core Ultra 100UMeteor LakeQ4 202315 - 57 WIntel 4 + N5 + N64tCPU2P + 8E212 MBIntel Graphics4
?Lunar LakeQ4 202417 - 30 WN3B + N62CPU + GPU & IMC4P + 4E08 MBArc8
?Panther LakeQ1 2026 ??Intel 18A + N3E3CPU + MC4P + 8E4?Arc12

Comparison of die size of Each Tile of Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

Meteor LakeArrow Lake (20A)Arrow Lake (N3B)Arrow Lake Refresh (N3B)Lunar LakePanther Lake
PlatformMobile H/U OnlyDesktop OnlyDesktop & Mobile H&HXDesktop OnlyMobile U OnlyMobile H
Process NodeIntel 4Intel 20ATSMC N3BTSMC N3BTSMC N3BIntel 18A
DateQ4 2023Q1 2025 ?Desktop-Q4-2024
H&HX-Q1-2025
Q4 2025 ?Q4 2024Q1 2026 ?
Full Die6P + 8P6P + 8E ?8P + 16E8P + 32E4P + 4E4P + 8E
LLC24 MB24 MB ?36 MB ??8 MB?
tCPU66.48
tGPU44.45
SoC96.77
IOE44.45
Total252.15

Intel Core Ultra 100 - Meteor Lake

INTEL-CORE-100-ULTRA-METEOR-LAKE-OFFCIAL-SLIDE-2.jpg

As mentioned by Tomshardware, TSMC will manufacture the I/O, SoC, and GPU tiles. That means Intel will manufacture only the CPU and Foveros tiles. (Notably, Intel calls the I/O tile an 'I/O Expander,' hence the IOE moniker.)

Clockspeed.png

Attachments

• PantherLake.png
    PantherLake.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 23,960
  • LNL.png
    LNL.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 25,430
Last edited:

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
1.095V for 2000 Mhz is a horribly high voltage. My A380 runs at 0.985V for 2450 Mhz and MTL tGPU requires 0.7xV for 2000 Mhz. No wonder Xe LP didn't run high clocked.
I ran Topaz Photo AI and PureRaw3 just to see what the igpu was drawing. About 12 watts for both of them. More than the GPU-Z stress test.
How much more compute does the A380 have over the igpu in my 13600K? Would be nice to speed this operations up a bit.
Do you use the A380 for gaming or compute?

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I ran Topaz Photo AI and PureRaw3 just to see what the igpu was drawing. About 12 watts for both of them. More than the GPU-Z stress test.
How much more compute does the A380 have over the igpu in my 13600K? Would be nice to speed this operations up a bit.
Do you use the A380 for gaming or compute?

Try Furmark or Furry Cube in CapsViewer, power consumption should be higher there. A380 has 5x the compute, 1 tflop vs 5 tflops.

SiliconFly

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2023
Yeah, it did doesn't really make sense to keep those since there's NPU. I do wonder if XeSS will use DP4a path then... Or if it would be possible to make it run on NPU.
Not sure whether MTL supports DP4a natively, but it does have support for either DP4a and/or XMX functionality in NPU in some fashion (source: Intel demo), thereby negating the requirement of XMX in the GPU tile. Not an ideal solution when it comes to performance/power savings, but it does reduce tGPU die area thereby lowering MTL cost. Thats probably the reason they're trying to put XMX back in ARL's GPU tile.

Last edited:

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
With Topaz Photo AI:

View attachment 89027

Running GPU-Z stress test:

View attachment 89028
After looking at these results I don't think the GPU-Z "stress test" is a stress test at all. Or I should say for a weak gpu like the igpu in my 13600K it's quite taxing as indicated by the power required. But your A380 is only loafing to run this routine as evidenced by the low clock and power usage. Your gpu is way down the v/f curve, mine way up. Interesting bench as it doesn't run "as fast as the gpu can run" it but the same for every gpu. It's not a race to the finish like most benches.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
After looking at these results I don't think the GPU-Z "stress test" is a stress test at all. Or I should say for a weak gpu like the igpu in my 13600K it's quite taxing as indicated by the power required. But your A380 is only loafing to run this routine as evidenced by the low clock and power usage. Your gpu is way down the v/f curve, mine way up. Interesting bench as it doesn't run "as fast as the gpu can run" it but the same for every gpu. It's not a race to the finish like most benches.
By stress test, I mean that it simply stresses the internal links between the iGPU and the rest of the chip. It is essentially running the data paths at full tilt. I agree that it doesn't stress anything in the traditional sense.

But your idle power consumption is way too high.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
By stress test, I mean that it simply stresses the internal links between the iGPU and the rest of the chip. It is essentially running the data paths at full tilt. I agree that it doesn't stress anything in the traditional sense.

But your idle power consumption is way too high.
Got it. But my idle power is zero?

SiliconFly

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2023
Meteor lake igpu looking good.. battlemage will be evem better
Arrow Lake has Alchemist++ while Lunar Lake has Battlemage, and both ARL & LNL are launching side by side. This is nuts. Why on earth would Intel choose to put Alchemist++ in ARL instead of the newer Battlemage? Is it just Intel being Intel... stuck in the same old +++ c**p?

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Arrow Lake has Alchemist++ while Lunar Lake has Battlemage, and both ARL & LNL are launching side by side. This is nuts. Why on earth would Intel choose to put Alchemist++ in ARL instead of the newer Battlemage? Is it just Intel being Intel... stuck in the same old +++ c**p?
I wouldn't take this guy any more seriously than MLID.

Reactions: Saylick

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Because Arrow Lake was planned for late 2023 when Battlemage was no option. Intel isn't flexible enough to change the graphics tile completely in the middle of a chip development. Lunar Lake was planned for 2025, so they were able to use Battlemage from the beginning.

Reactions: Kepler_L2

SiliconFly

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2023
Because Arrow Lake was planned for late 2023 when Battlemage was no option. Intel isn't flexible enough to change the graphics tile completely in the middle of a chip development. Lunar Lake was planned for 2025, so they were able to use Battlemage from the beginning.
I'm actually a bit excited about ARL, considering it has a brand spanking new process 20A (with GAA & BPD). It also has a brand new core architecture LNC which I hope will finally address the issue of P cores being super fat. If LNC P cores are leaner than existing ones with good performance, it'll be Intel's Zen moment. Also, their tile architecture with Foveros is far ahead of competition already. The only hiccup for ARL at this point is Alchemist++ imo.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Past history has shown us Intel puts little effort into desktop iGPU's. They have tremendous sales for business desktop that simply need the gpu to drive the monitor to view spreadsheets and websites. If anyone needs more for the desktop they can add in a discrete GPU.

On the other hand you get what you get with mobile graphics (no upgrade path) so they put more effort into that segment.

It is possible it was easier to get ARL moving along with the older tech and who knows the tile might even be smaller/cheaper to produce?

Geddagod

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2021
40% scenario power reduction seems pretty interesting. Of course it's very vague, but if it's talking about CPU perf, that actually sounds not bad for a jump from Intel 4 to N3B, with a brand new arch.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
Nice catch, saving now :p ...

I am more interested on the last slide which mentioned 8 Xe LPG cores equal to 1024 ALU. And based on 3.8TF, we could estimate the iGPU clock speed to be around 1.85GHz...

FYI, M2's iGPU is having 3.6TF, slightly lower than LNL. We don't know the TF of M3 but should be slightly higher than M2; of course the real upgrade on M3 is hardware RT support. However, the real competitor is actually upcoming M4 from Apple cause Intel will most likely ship LNL in early 2025.

Well, at least Intel managed to have Apple's competitor after so many years of talking, let's not forget that LNL is based on N3B process, where is 18A's CPU that offer better PPA??? Still waiting:rolleyes: