Discussion Intel Meteor, Arrow, Lunar & Panther Lakes Discussion Threads

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
PPT1.jpg
PPT2.jpg
PPT3.jpg

As Hot Chips 34 starting this week, Intel will unveil technical information of upcoming Meteor Lake (MTL) and Arrow Lake (ARL), new generation platform after Raptor Lake. Both MTL and ARL represent new direction which Intel will move to multiple chiplets and combine as one SoC platform.

MTL also represents new compute tile that based on Intel 4 process which is based on EUV lithography, a first from Intel. Intel expects to ship MTL mobile SoC in 2023.

ARL will come after MTL so Intel should be shipping it in 2024, that is what Intel roadmap is telling us. ARL compute tile will be manufactured by Intel 20A process, a first from Intel to use GAA transistors called RibbonFET.

Comparison of upcoming Intel's U-series CPU: Core Ultra 100U, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

ModelCode-NameDateTDPNodeTilesMain TileCPULP E-CoreLLCGPUXe-cores
Core Ultra 100UMeteor LakeQ4 202315 - 57 WIntel 4 + N5 + N64tCPU2P + 8E212 MBIntel Graphics4
?Lunar LakeQ4 202417 - 30 WN3B + N62CPU + GPU & IMC4P + 4E08 MBArc8
?Panther LakeQ1 2026 ??Intel 18A + N3E3CPU + MC4P + 8E4?Arc12

Comparison of die size of Each Tile of Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

Meteor LakeArrow Lake (20A)Arrow Lake (N3B)Arrow Lake Refresh (N3B)Lunar LakePanther Lake
PlatformMobile H/U OnlyDesktop OnlyDesktop & Mobile H&HXDesktop OnlyMobile U OnlyMobile H
Process NodeIntel 4Intel 20ATSMC N3BTSMC N3BTSMC N3BIntel 18A
DateQ4 2023Q1 2025 ?Desktop-Q4-2024
H&HX-Q1-2025
Q4 2025 ?Q4 2024Q1 2026 ?
Full Die6P + 8P6P + 8E ?8P + 16E8P + 32E4P + 4E4P + 8E
LLC24 MB24 MB ?36 MB ??8 MB?
tCPU66.48
tGPU44.45
SoC96.77
IOE44.45
Total252.15

Intel Core Ultra 100 - Meteor Lake

INTEL-CORE-100-ULTRA-METEOR-LAKE-OFFCIAL-SLIDE-2.jpg

As mentioned by Tomshardware, TSMC will manufacture the I/O, SoC, and GPU tiles. That means Intel will manufacture only the CPU and Foveros tiles. (Notably, Intel calls the I/O tile an 'I/O Expander,' hence the IOE moniker.)

Clockspeed.png

Attachments

• PantherLake.png
    PantherLake.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 23,961
  • LNL.png
    LNL.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 25,431
Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Tick overview: Generally the platform is more stable and fully featured, and has more SKUs to address more segments. Addresses competitive gaps.

Penryn: Companion G45 chipset had far better iGPU. More and balanced SKUs.
Westmere: Arrandale/Clarkdale for client featuring integrated graphics and also for low power mobile. Nehalem only had one mobile chip for high end. iGPU being on-package and introducing Hi-Z improved performance greatly. Westmere-EX for enterprise that Sandy Bridge didn't have.
Ivy Bridge: DX11 support, and (finally!) proper anisotropic filtering support. Introduction of Y chips with SDP for lower power.
Broadwell: Haswell brought 50% battery life gains. Broadwell did another 30%, achieving the original goal to have 2x the battery life. Core M introduced for official fanless chips.
Kabylake: VP9 support in GPU for Youtube acceleration which is big. Skylake was a sidegrade in terms of battery life and a lot of times even a regression. Kabylake made it better.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
@Exist50 What are the chances Crestmont is a decent gain over Gracemont? Maybe Redwood Cove is a small gain but what about the E core?
I think it'll be a bigger gen/gen performance improvement than Redwood Cove, low bar though that might be, but I wouldn't expect miracles either. Think Skymont is supposed to be a much bigger change.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I think it'll be a bigger gen/gen performance improvement than Redwood Cove, low bar though that might be, but I wouldn't expect miracles either. Think Skymont is supposed to be a much bigger change.

The Atoms alternated between new features and expanding/optimizing. Wonder if it'll change with Crestmont.

Silvermont - New ideas
Airmont - Optimization
Goldmont - New ideas
Goldmont Plus - Expansion/Optimization
Tremont - New ideas
Gracemont - Expansion

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Kosusko

Nov 10, 2019
@Exist50 What are the chances Crestmont is a decent gain over Gracemont? Maybe Redwood Cove is a small gain but what about the E core?

Intel Tremont delivers a massive 30% performance-per-clock jump – at least according to Intel – over its predecessor, Intel Goldmont Plus.

Intel Gracemont is direct ancestor, and represents a shift in Intel’s Atom strategy.

I assume that Cretmont will increase the IPC by ~30% over Gracemont.

Reactions: lightmanek

poke01

Mar 8, 2022
. Core M introduced for official fanless chips
I remember those in the 12" MacBooks in 2015. Oh how I wished Apple used the A9X chip in them instead. Performance was not there and those chips got hot for simple tasks.

The A9X on the other hand was cool and performant in the iPad Pro.

I am confused why Intel never focused on pref/w. I mean if you lead in that you lead in mobile and datacentre.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I am confused why Intel never focused on pref/w. I mean if you lead in that you lead in mobile and datacentre.

They made a hoopla about Core M being this big change for lower power. The reality seemed much different to me. Yes it eventually led to fanless systems. Of course thermal technology was less advanced back then and couldn't handle more than 5W. Nowadays you can get fanless systems that handle 8W+. My new/used Yoga 710 11 is fanless and it has a PL1 of 5 to 7W depending on the environment(changes dynamically). Never runs hotter than 70C and usually stays under 50C for light tasks.

They struggled on the 14nm release and Core M was the lead product. I don't doubt the disappointment of the product are connected. When the pitfalls of BK management started showing.

But again mediocre/bad management was festering in that company for years, even back then!

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
The Atoms alternated between new features and expanding/optimizing. Wonder if it'll change with Crestmont.

Silvermont - New ideas
Airmont - Optimization
Goldmont - New ideas
Goldmont Plus - Expansion/Optimization
Tremont - New ideas
Gracemont - Expansion
I think Gracemont doesn't really fit in there. It's a very large leap over Tremont in both performance and features (e.g. AVX2 support). Crestmont wasn't originally supposed to exist, so I'm expecting a "Goldmont Plus" kind of situation, but the Atom team seems to be more flexible about architectural changes than Core, so pretty large error bars on what that means.

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020
[QUOTE="poke01, post: 40851808, member: 478379"I am confused why Intel never focused on pref/w. I mean if you lead in that you lead in mobile and datacentre.
[/QUOTE]

Intel has done that several times. The original Core was targeted at perf/watt - but that was in comparison to the hot and power hungry Pentium 4. If you are less efficient than the market leader you can target perf/w but have the result of that effort still be less efficient than the market leader.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I think Gracemont doesn't really fit in there. It's a very large leap over Tremont in both performance and features (e.g. AVX2 support). Crestmont wasn't originally supposed to exist, so I'm expecting a "Goldmont Plus" kind of situation, but the Atom team seems to be more flexible about architectural changes than Core, so pretty large error bars on what that means.

Goldmont Plus was a huge improvement, at the same clock it was like 40-45% faster in Cinebench 1T. It was a big surprise at this time because they just added a plus.

In Raptor Lake the bigger IPC increase seems to come from Gracemont despite the unchanged little core codename whereas the big core got a new Cove codename.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Goldmont Plus was a huge improvement, at the same clock it was like 40-45% faster in Cinebench 1T. It was a big surprise at this time because they just added a plus.
Ok, well certainly not that, lol. Kinda forgot how big an improvement GMT+ was. Anyway, don't think I know enough to meaningfully guess a range, but iirc it was originally created as basically a filler for MTL. Enough time to do better than Gracemont, but not enough to fit in everything Skymont was to bring.

But I have to say, it's kinda funny. You've got stuff like this diagram, but in reality, the gap between Core and Atom seems to be closing by the year. That's obviously not a stable long-term arrangement, so what'll happen? Royal replace Core? Core replace Atom? Should be fun.

1664156275607.png

ashFTW

Sep 21, 2020
Ok, well certainly not that, lol. Kinda forgot how big an improvement GMT+ was. Anyway, don't think I know enough to meaningfully guess a range, but iirc it was originally created as basically a filler for MTL. Enough time to do better than Gracemont, but not enough to fit in everything Skymont was to bring.

But I have to say, it's kinda funny. You've got stuff like this diagram, but in reality, the gap between Core and Atom seems to be closing by the year. That's obviously not a stable long-term arrangement, so what'll happen? Royal replace Core? Core replace Atom? Should be fun.

View attachment 68091
Since core can’t negate Atom’s area efficiency, it’s not a sensible replacement. If there is a newer (Royal) P-core, which is likely both more powerful and area plus power efficient, it will replace Core and Core will be phased out.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

Goldmont Plus was about 30% faster per clock in Cinebench 1T. With clocks it was about 45% faster. The peak clock and sustained clock both increased by about 10%.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Intel needs to get Atom into more products IMO. Thus far we have only seen Gracemont paired with a big core. I would love to see anSBC with Gracemont in it, for example.

msj10

Jun 9, 2020
so the 'Next'mont here was supposed to be skymont?
arch-day-2018-core-roadmap.png

• Wow

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Goldmont Plus was about 30% faster per clock in Cinebench 1T. With clocks it was about 45% faster. The peak clock and sustained clock both increased by about 10%.

I'm comparing N4100 Goldmont Plus to N3350 Goldmont. Both have a burst frequency of 2.4 Ghz. There are 9-12 Cinebench R15 1T results on Notebookcheck.

Kosusko

Nov 10, 2019
I compared Tremont vs LuJiaZui.
Small cores have evolved as well as revolutionized their development. That's why x86 big.LITTLE is a paradigm shift with the rise of small cores.
Crestmont will be an evolution of Gracemont and Darkmont will be another recolution of small cores.

Kosusko

Nov 10, 2019
You like this term too much.
Small cores have never been more important than since Alder Lake's paradigm shift. With Raptor Lake the paradigm shift continues and Raptormont (sorry Gracemont) is up to 16c while Raptor Cove is "only" 8C.

Just the idea that AMD Zen 4 with 16C Ryzen 9 7950X will compete for the top spot in the TOP mainstream even with 16c atomic E-cores in Core i9 13900K completely solidifies this concept.

P.S. as you well know, I grew up on small cores VIA Isaiah (and before that VIA Samuel/Samel 2, Erza, Nehemiah, Esther), Intel Atom, AMD Bobcat/Jaguar/Puma or Intel Tremont as also atom line.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I'm comparing N4100 Goldmont Plus to N3350 Goldmont. Both have a burst frequency of 2.4 Ghz. There are 9-12 Cinebench R15 1T results on Notebookcheck.

Nah, 30% is based on real-world clocks of devices. 45% is overestimating it. They need the desktop 10W TDP in order to have any chance of reaching the burst frequency in MT workloads. Goldmont Plus was able to significantly improve on the power efficiency per clock part despite having substantial increase in performance per clock which is why it does better than list clocks suggest.